• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 August 1 - 2 Heritage Comics Signature Auction

274 posts in this topic

I love Miller's DKR2 cover.

Timing is often everything. Had I known one year ago this piece was coming, I would have made the moves required to get top dollar for enough pieces to take it down.

:whatthe:

ha! sweet avatar

+1

I went to Cadence looking for it last week

Thanks!

Don't want to hijack this thread with pics, so if you're interested in seeing the original, check it out in my CAF gallery:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1034961

The original was a commission, so won't be at Cadence. However, if you'd like a print, they should be available there soon. Or write me, I have an extra signed one.

ha! sweet avatar

+1

I went to Cadence looking for it last week

Thanks!

Don't want to hijack this thread with pics, so if you're interested in seeing the original, check it out in my CAF gallery:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1034961

The original was a commission, so won't be at Cadence. However, if you'd like a print, they should be available there soon. Or write me, I have an extra signed one.

That's awesome. Time he had his own book! lol

The Dark Knight cover is already $403K, while the Frazetta Vampirella painting is currently $47K.

Fritz Vampi painting is now at $203K. :whatthe:

That is quite a jump during the internet bidding portion! If that is near the final price, that does not seem outrageous for an above average but fairly well known Frazetta painting.

The DKR cover will be interesting to follow. Will it eclipse the current auction record set by the McFarlane ASM #328? Will it even meet it's reserve?

Looks like the Minsky's movie painting was withdrawn. Anybody know why?

I was told that the owner believes it's a $250K item. The rest is purely my conjecture - I am guessing that, based on the tepid pre-live auction bidding activity, the owner was afraid that it would either (a) sell for much less than he thought it was worth or (b) fail to even meet the $110K (plus BP) reserve and risk tainting the piece for a long time. Just my (educated) guesses. 2c

I was told that the owner believes it's a $250K item. The rest is purely my conjecture - I am guessing that, based on the tepid pre-live auction bidding activity, the owner was afraid that it would either (a) sell for much less than he thought it was worth or (b) fail to even meet the $110K (plus BP) reserve and risk tainting the piece for a long time. Just my (educated) guesses. 2c

I am happy that I have the Heritage catalog as a keepsake. It has a wonderful fold out of the Minsky poster art inside. It's truly a wonderful window into that era of Frazetta work. I never realized how gorgeous he made each and every woman on that piece.

Ahh... based on the sales of the previous movie pieces, I think that was overly optimistic. When somebody of means wants to go after a Frazetta, they probably want a Warren-cover-type piece. I think the buyer base for something like the Minsky's is probably fairly narrow. Me, I love it, though I'd rather have "What's New Pussycat?" if I had both the coin and the choice.

I am happy that I have the Heritage catalog as a keepsake. It has a wonderful fold out of the Minsky poster art inside. It's truly a wonderful window into that era of Frazetta work. I never realized how gorgeous he made each and every woman on that piece.

It's a fabulous piece - personally, I'd take it all day long over the Vampi cover, though, of course, a lot depends on what elements someone is looking for in a Frazetta painting.

It's a fabulous piece - personally, I'd take it all day long over the Vampi cover, though, of course, a lot depends on what elements someone is looking for in a Frazetta painting.

The owner probably did the math like this

17 painted Frazetta babes x $15k a babe = $250k-ish. lol

So what happens in this instance with the consignor pulling a reserved item out of the auction?

Does he have to pay Heritage the commission based on the reserve price to get his artwork back? In this around $20K in this case, right? (shrug)

So what happens in this instance with the consignor pulling a reserved item out of the auction?

Does he have to pay Heritage the commission based on the reserve price to get his artwork back? In this around $20K in this case, right? (shrug)

Even paying the commission as a penalty, I didn't think it was an option to pull a consignment from an auction.

but would you pay 250k for it! I love it too but I don't think the image quality alone, nice as that is, is enough to carry that kind of valuation, at least not at this point in time. How many frazettas have (publicly - don't know about the private sales) even sold for $250k+, ever? Three?

Even paying the commission as a penalty, I didn't think it was an option to pull a consignment from an auction.

I'm not clear on how or why, but it seems an item or two get pulled almost every auction

but would you pay 250k for it! I love it too but I don't think the image quality alone, nice as that is, is enough to carry that kind of valuation, at least not at this point in time. How many frazettas have (publicly - don't know about the private sales) even sold for $250k+, ever? Three?

Surprisingly, I think the answer is zero, if we are talking about auction sales. It seems all the expensive Frazettas are sold privately.

sorry, you're right, I meant "publicized" rather than public in the auction sense.

I.e. the WSF 29 and the two conan paintings were technically private, you're right, but they were well publicized after the fact so they are publicly known data points.

Surprisingly, I think the answer is zero, if we are talking about auction sales. It seems all the expensive Frazettas are sold privately.

I know of 4 $250K+ Frazetta painting sales, and then the $380K WSF29 cover.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4322560&fpart=8