• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,266 posts in this topic

On 9/29/2023 at 7:38 PM, plady69 said:

Great book, though! These DC books of that era have great art and stories.

That book is nice.  DC's always had good cover and interior artwork, but the stories, AFA PCH, are rather tame.  No graphic blood 'n guts, and the endings usually explain away anything supernatural.  It wasn't too much of a leap for them to conform to CCA requirements.

On 10/7/2023 at 9:03 AM, C. Spaulding said:

Cross post with GA connections. I’ve been on the hunt for a copy of this one for a while. Definitely one of my favorite skeleton covers.

IMG_9605.jpeg

She’s gorgeous! Congrats on that pickup!

On 10/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, C. Spaulding said:

Cross post with GA connections. I’ve been on the hunt for a copy of this one for a while. Definitely one of my favorite skeleton covers.

IMG_9605.jpeg

Congrats! One of the few PCH books that has deluded me. At this point, unless I find a real low grade copy or get extremely lucky, it will still remain a big hole in my collection. 

On 10/8/2023 at 12:03 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

It's also obvious that the depicted comic book artist is meant to be Bill Gaines as he looked then in 1954.

Sorry, but that is Myron Fass. He famously drew himself on this cover which makes it very cool!

IMG_2302.jpeg

On 10/8/2023 at 9:18 PM, Jayman said:

Sorry, but that is Myron Fass. He famously drew himself on this cover which makes it very cool!

IMG_2302.jpeg

I bow to your knowledge meister and don't doubt it, but you have to admit it's not much of a leap to think it was supposed to be Gaines. It was a bit cheeky of him to pinch two of the Ghoulunatics with the inference being he created them.

I do like the fact that the artist looks like Gaines...adds a sort of symmetry to the work....perhaps it was deliberate on Fass' part?

Edited by Paul (GG) © ® ™⚽️💙

On 10/8/2023 at 4:22 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

I bow to your knowledge meister and don't doubt it, but you have to admit it's not much of a leap to think it was supposed to be Gaines. It was a bit cheeky of him to pinch two of the Ghoulunatics with the inference being he created them.

I do like the fact that the artist looks like Gaines...adds a sort of symmetry to the work....perhaps it was deliberate on Fass' part?

Not sure. And I really don’t know for certain but this is the only Gaines (and Feldstein) homage cover that I know of.

Strange Tales # 50.jpg

On 10/8/2023 at 4:43 PM, Robot Man said:

I would have to side with @Jayman on Myron Fass being a self portrait. The Ghoulantics are an interesting point though.

Here is a great Bill Everett reference to Gaines & Feldstein from 1956. The train going off the track is supposedly a reference to what Bill & Al did to the comics industry. 

IMG_7544.jpeg

Ha! Beat me to it! (worship)

On 10/8/2023 at 2:00 PM, Robot Man said:

A great 2 book run! I lucked into both of them at once from an OO collection at a show. So pretty, I just had to buy both and keep them together. The gloss on these is blinding! 

IMG_7542.jpeg

IMG_7543.jpeg

That is one bad women! In a red dress to boot!

On 9/30/2023 at 9:29 PM, Telegan said:

Witches Tales has some pretty underrated covers.  Well, maybe "underrated" isn't the term since I've been getting outbid on them, but ... :D

Definitely. Witches Tales seems fly under the radar somewhat. Besides the more well-known issue 25, there are some excellent covers such as issue 2, 9, 12 and of course 6 and 15 pictured here.