• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,281 posts in this topic

On 9/18/2023 at 6:18 AM, BrentNewt said:

I picked this up in the most recent CLink auction, my first bound copy. This has #1-12 of Weird Fantasy. 20230918_081218.thumb.jpg.7e8fc29c31d2991809d024ec01c699e2.jpgI absolutely LOVE it! Especially the signatures and doodle of Gaines. Although I am having trouble reading the bottom right signature, maybe someone here knows?

I have dove headfirst into collecting EC the last few years, will try to share some pics. 20230918_081218.thumb.jpg.7e8fc29c31d2991809d024ec01c699e2.jpg

20230918_081232.jpg

20230918_081245.jpg

20230918_081316.jpg

20230918_081342.jpg

Awsome item! Wish I had seen it. I believe that bottom signature is Harvey Kurtzman’s wife. These were probably gotton at a con. Possibly SDCC. 

On 9/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, Robot Man said:

Awsome item! Wish I had seen it. I believe that bottom signature is Harvey Kurtzman’s wife. These were probably gotton at a con. Possibly SDCC. 

Nice.  That does look like "Adele" at the beginning, but couldn't make out the last part.

I'll go ahead and drop this bit of history here.  A pretty in-depth audio interview (over an hour with transcript included) with her and her daugher can be found here.

On 9/18/2023 at 4:12 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Picked up a cool Detective Comics 92 here on the boards - I'd been looking for the right 1944 or earlier Batman, something that showed him "in action" with a good body proportion and a desirable color scheme between the art and the 'Detective Comics' header - plus it has a near-flawless black area on the cover that really pops the color.

I know, all those details are very particular, but I view these GA hero books more as pieces of art rather than collection pieces (I don't collect Batman). I'm hoping to work my way backwards a few years and find a lower grade Tec in the #40s that isn't a key issue and has the cover criteria I'm looking for. Until then, I am super happy with this one. Thanks to @87richarm for the seamless sale!

IMG_5153.thumb.JPG.5726c8a73ed09fecbb86ccd26ff055bd.JPG

Nice book and nice shape. Hits all the marks. Love the Batman “moonlight”covers especially with black backgrounds. Really speaks to the “mood” of the character. 

On 9/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, Robot Man said:

Thanks Robot Man, I am really enjoying it. I have many stabbed books and just about all the EC archives which is how I read them normally, but reading these like this is just wonderful.

On 9/18/2023 at 5:30 PM, Telegan said:

Nice.  That does look like "Adele" at the beginning, but couldn't make out the last part.

I'll go ahead and drop this bit of history here.  A pretty in-depth audio interview (over an hour with transcript included) with her and her daugher can be found here.

Thanks Telegan! I will give it a listen. Never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge this board has!

Brent

On 9/18/2023 at 7:42 PM, BrentNewt said:

Thanks Telegan! I will give it a listen. Never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge this board has!

Brent

Oh, I don't have that much knowledge - I'm trying to learn more about the Golden Age, too. lol.  I just really got into it not too long ago (a couple of years maybe).  I just find myself wanting to learn more about the history of the comics, the writers, the artists, the collectors, etc. while I'm at it.

BTW, I saw that volume you bought and wanted to bid on it, but ended up not bidding because I was going for 3 other comics that would've tapped my budget for the month out (I ended up getting 2 of those) and almost cried after I said "gotta let you go" and passed on bidding. lol.  Congrats on the pickup, though - that's a cool book to have.

On 9/19/2023 at 5:47 AM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

Just arrived.

Love me some Wolverton. :cloud9:

tyhthh.jpg

That seems to be a pretty nice book for the grade! Love the color strike on it.

On 9/29/2023 at 6:56 PM, N e r V said:

Something about buying raw 4.0’s lately it seems they all come back as CGC 3.5’s? I’ve lost count I just expect it nowadays. (shrug)

IMG_9082.thumb.jpeg.192e0710c573a1827046d8691ad2fa81.jpeg

Great book, though! These DC books of that era have great art and stories.