• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

Beautiful Kremer cover!

There's an excellent two part interview with Warren Kremer in Alter-Ego. He designed most of Harvey's pre-code covers, even the ones that were drawn by Lee Elias.

Another highest on the census...thanks a lot Heritage!

bcm37.jpg

Nice Atlas! Are you buying all pre-code horror Atlas or are you selecting for cover and interior stories that you like?

Here's another new Atlas. Who knew prospecting could be so dangerous :insane:

Nice Atlas! Are you buying all pre-code horror Atlas or are you selecting for cover and interior stories that you like?

Thanks! To the second question, the answer is neither. :gossip: This book and others I've posted recently are part of a new "set" I started to build within the last month.

Picked up a few books from a fellow board member this week :) Thanx telerites !!

84dccd35.jpg

a1a8ed59.jpg

9714f015.jpg

I'm still grinning :)

:applause: Beautiful Schomburg's Griff; congrats! (thumbs u

BTW, you might also post these beauties in the GA thread. Even with the Black Terror wielding Tommy guns and an axe, the mayhem may not be scary enough to get the pre-code gang's juices flowing! :gossip:

Love that giant television cover! :headbang:

:applause: I am particularly fond of the Heath Suspense cover. Probably even since AStrange posted his smoking copy 6 years ago or so. Maybe it's time we see it again :wishluck:

Any other candidates besides Heath and Ditko for the best worm cover? (shrug)

Spellbound_3v2.jpg

Thing15.jpg

Hello fellow pre-code collectors! I just wanted to mention that my Halloween Auctions are live! I have some great pre-code horror and crime books this year! Check them out if you get a chance:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mtpence/m.html?item=120794947232&sspagename=STRK%3AMESCX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1554.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Thanks and Happy Halloween!

Any other candidates besides Heath and Ditko for the best worm cover? (shrug)

Spellbound_3v2.jpg

Thing15.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #46? (shrug)

^^

Just got a few more issues from my personal pet project of the past few years: Adventures of Peter Wheat. It's still not a very high profile title, but it's extremely hard to find and very well done.

In reverse order:

#38. One of the earliest Al Hubbard issues. Hubbard is not exactly what I would call a big name, but he had a couple of long and underrated runs on series; Mary Jane and Sniffles in particular is a favorite of mine. His Peter Wheat work pales in comparison to Walt Kelly's run, but is extremely good on its own terms.

Peter_Wheat_38_FC.jpg

#30. But, as I said, Hubbard's work is nothing compared to Walt Kelly's run on the title. Since the covers double as the first page of the story, they rarely pop like some of the interior shots do once the story gets rolling. For my money, Peter Wheat is Kelly's finest work in comic BOOKS as opposed to strips.

Peter_Wheat_30_FC.jpg

#25. This is actually part 2 of 4; and since I found #26 a couple years ago (and then was able to figure out which issues the storyline actually ran) completing it has been my personal most wanted book. It's not flawless, but taken as a whole it's an absolutely amazing 64 page fantasy-adventure by Walt Kelly that I think is only not regarded as one of the greatest pre-code stories of all time because almost nobody has ever seen the whole dang thing! This was the last issue I needed to put together the story, and for me at least it's as exciting as any find I've ever made.

Peter_Wheat_25_FC.jpg