• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

Here's another latest addition to my run of Haunted Thrills. This is issue #12 in 6.0 condition. I love the logo design on this one. The Farrell books have some very unusual cover concepts, and this is one that I like a lot. I'm working on a #7 which I hope to have soon as well. Getting closer....

792538-HauntedThrills12.jpg

792538-HauntedThrills12.jpg.3417fc5dad61de029f08497cc24dfab4.jpg

Edited by paull

A recent aquisition - low grade but the price was right. Not pictured in the Gerber - but not a white space either - I'm guessing non-EC horror didn't get quite the same respect back in the 80s, as there are a few runs which aren't completely represented.

I love the self-referential cover - I wonder if that's a self-portrait of Myron Fass himself. Overstreet references "heart torn out" and "blood drainage", but don't expect anything too graphic - run of the mill sub-EC horror resides inside.

630435-beware11.jpg

One of my favorite concepts: the Horror Comic Writer Cover. Has anyone compiled a list of these? I know there are a few, anyway! thumbsup2.gif

The only other "pre-code" covers I'm aware of are:

Punch 9

Adv Into Unknown 39

Does anyone know of more than these?

What I like about the AIU and the Beware is that there is a story inside corresponding to the cover. The Punch doesn't. frown.gif

There are many comics with interior stories with this theme, the best IMHO, is in Venus 17. Bill Everett. cloud9.gif

Here's another I saw this morning - Tales of the Unexpected # 1 - Scan Courtesy of the GCD.

1196_4_001.jpg

I have another addition to my Haunted Thrills run... this one is issue #7 in about F+ condition. I'm really happy with this one since I love this cover. This is the highest condition copy that I've seen in the past year. I'm still looking for these issues in 5.0 - 6.0 condition: 3, 4, 11, 13-18

820203-HauntedThrills7.jpg

820203-HauntedThrills7.jpg.8440dd6a59dbda8cf109745e1a4e3d1b.jpg

Edited by paull

Just came out on top on this book last night: Tomb of Terror #10 CGC 8.5. I know, I know it's a Harvey, so the VF+ grade is not quite as impressive as it would be with another pre-code publisher, but I love the cover on this one. I'm also giving serious though to pursuing a VFish run of Tomb of Terror, as it's a relatively short run. The seller was a fellow forumite aka Slacker, a good guy who I've dealt with a little previously. Your money order's in the mail, Jim!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6532822361&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6

Thanks for the kind words. I'm such a big fan of these Farrell books and don't understand why more people enjoy them as much as I do. It will probably take me a while to complete this run because it is hard to find these books in mid-grade. I'll probably start going for the rest of the Farrell books in about VG. It would be foolish to put together beautiful runs of Voodoo and Fantastic Fears when a Voodoo Annual in anything higher than VG would be almost an impossible order. And the Fantastic Fears #5 goes for a mint... I don't feel like paying more than what the VG goes for.

I appreciate them. The HORROR is much easier to locate than the humor or romance in VG or better. It took me FOREVER to find a copy of Billy Bunny (I know, it's Billy Bunny) # 3. Over seven years of constantly searching. Finally got one. Anyway, the horror is really cool too. I sold most of mine that I had aquired prior to the horror boom and made out like a champ. I can now find those issues for half what I sold them for 5 years ago.

I remember just getting into comics and horror just as that horror boom around 99-2000 was in full flower. Ooops! It all evens out though, I still have most everything I've bought then but have in the time since added more items at more reasonable prices, some for free or near to free in exchange for helping out at shows (which I'dve been happy to do for nuthin' anyway at the time) - I believe it's all good. smile.gif

BTW, af, congrats on your Billy Bunny #3.

Hey all, I had this $3,500 issue stolen from me today at the Washington, D.C. ComicCon. 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.giffrustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Please keep an eye out for it on e-bay or other auction sites. If anyone is offered a high-grade WW #20 for sale, please let me know ASAP. Could be that the thief breaks it out of the the CGC slab. DC Police were notified.

CGC Id # is 0046666011. Page quality is Off-White to White.

I can be contacted at (202) 498-0011 and/or the e-mail address below. Thanks!!!

828219-WW20.jpg

838788-AdvWeirdWorld27.jpg

838788-AdvWeirdWorld27.jpg.48ff0919e1ab4c2314ea8a1f676585b0.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

That looks like a very attractive copy, DD. thumbsup2.gif

Does your first Frankenstein cover look better or worse than you thought it would?

That looks like a very attractive copy, DD. thumbsup2.gif

Does your first Frankenstein cover look better or worse than you thought it would?

cloud9.gif