• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

There are some great looking books in this thread. I love the Weird Tales.

Here are a couple that I've had for a while but never gotten around to scanning until now.

Strange-Tales-29_zpstgqjoa0y.jpg

Love this book.

There are some great looking books in this thread. I love the Weird Tales.

Here are a couple that I've had for a while but never gotten around to scanning until now.

Menace-11_zpsbe0v6fl0.jpg

Strange-Tales-29_zpstgqjoa0y.jpg

Sweet copies, Rick!

Thanks. I was going through my PCH box today and scanned several books. This one is a fairly recent pickup. Not high grade, but has nice colors and centering, and presents very nicely.

Witchcraft-2_zpsyqvcgplr.jpg

Yeah, nothing better than "binge reading" a stack of EC's. I have an un-bagged low grade set (a little over half the run) that I've been accumulating for a white. They sit all mixed up on a shelf and when I get the urge, I grab a handfull.

Is there a couch for me?

Any time you're in the hood bro!

That makes me very happy.

Yeah, nothing better than "binge reading" a stack of EC's. I have an un-bagged low grade set (a little over half the run) that I've been accumulating for a white. They sit all mixed up on a shelf and when I get the urge, I grab a handfull.

Is there a couch for me?

Any time you're in the hood bro!

That makes me very happy.

+1

Acquired this one from my LCS today. A very pretty (sub-midgrade) upgrade from my other one. :grin:

css_15b.jpg

[/quote

Curious to know which LCS carries these pre-code books. I would sure like to visit the place and check out their selection. Please PLMK. Thanks.

The Bob Powell Tibetan story is outstanding. His use of black ink on white paper to depict a setting high in the snowy Himalayas is a marvel. :applause:

Witches%20Tales%20%203%20CGC%208.5_zpsly8uh3c3.jpg

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to pricing high grade PCH? I've picked up 2 9.0 copies of really great covers, and while I gladly paid over guide on one, I got the other one under guide (also very happily!). I know when I was actively pursuing pre-hero DC a lot of dealers would quote the guide multiple that they wanted; is there a similar kind of thing with PCH? I know it's a bit of a noob question but I'm still fairly freshly back in the comic book market...

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to pricing high grade PCH? I've picked up 2 9.0 copies of really great covers, and while I gladly paid over guide on one, I got the other one under guide (also very happily!). I know when I was actively pursuing pre-hero DC a lot of dealers would quote the guide multiple that they wanted; is there a similar kind of thing with PCH? I know it's a bit of a noob question but I'm still fairly freshly back in the comic book market...

Just really depends on the cover and relative demand for the book, and how hard, or not, these are to find in 9.0. Certain titles can also be hot, and others cooling, which will affect prices. What books were they? :)

Both gems. The Strange Tales 29 is a great book and tough to find period...

No kidding. I think there is only about six unrestored copies on the census. I am happy to have this one.

This is one of the 9.0 comics I picked up recently. This one is in my top 5 for Harvey horror, and each copy this year has been better than the last. This was after trying all year last year to find ANY decent copy (feast or famine, right?). The other is Chamber of Chills 13, another one of my favorite Harveys. I haven't gotten a decent pic yet but will post as soon as it arrives. Both of these are underrated IMHO. The ToT 16 gets overshadowed by the 15, but I actually prefer it. For the Harvey horror runs it seems like there were a few flashes of incredible creativity on covers, and great interiors consistently, but the majority of their covers are pretty tame.

image.jpg

That's an outstanding horror cover overall, but not especially as iconic as some, and the value of high grade Harveys overall is tempered a bit by their availability. Relative to other PCH. I do know the feeling of looking, looking and looking for a given issue -- it wasn't until I found my copy of Mysterious Adventures #21 that I must have seen 4-5 copies at shows the next year. :)