• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,239 posts in this topic

I thought about starting a new topic, but these will probably be appreciated here more. These are a couple of unpublished PCH covers and one that was altered before publishing. Does anyone have any other examples?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I thought about starting a new topic, but these will probably be appreciated here more. These are a couple of unpublished PCH covers and one that was altered before publishing. Does anyone have any other examples?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Didn't see this before I made my last post.

That Witches Tales pilot cover is terrific!

The Adv Into the Unk was prolly censored as being too "political" for a horror comic, by the publisher, as my guess.

The Adv into Darkness looks like a splash page from one of Standard's horror comics.

Thx for those!

image.jpg

That one is just fantastic. If published that would have been one of my favorite PCH covers! Thanks for sharing

Agreed that's fantastic.

Also in agreement. Wonder why it was turned down - too graphic, perhaps.

OK, looked through my stash, and found the Adv Into Darkness information. That cover illus was going to be used on their 15th issue, which they never published, prolly thanks to the heat that horror and crime comics were taking in the summer of '54.

The information, and illustration, in 3D, is in "Three Dimensional Seduction Of The Innocent;

c084d760-cfcf-012c-918e-0050569439b1.jpg

The Witches Tales cover was pasted over with a very average looking guy. I like the original image much better. My ToT16 cover has a paste over on the face of the guy being held underwater by the zombie, but since it was done back in 1954 I've been hesitant to remove it, especially since there is no guarantee it would be a better image that the awesome one already there. I've been trying to locate the original to the Adv Into Darkness cover for about 5 years, but haven't been able to even get confirmation that the image used by Eclispse was original art or a proof (as is the case with the Witches Tales cover).

image.jpg

I think the change in the cover had to do with that story "Dig That Grave" by Bob Powell being bumped out of that issue and remaining a unpublished PCH story by Harvey Comics.

I'm purely guessing as to the why which could be for many reasons but we are coming to the end of the PCH era with the code around the corner so it's possible they were trying to tone things down a bit amid the anti-comics pressure of the time. Hence a much tamer cover and a Bob Powell story dropped altogether.

ab516a136e99c0ba5769f683428c59741b0cbec8.jpeg

Edited by Nerv

A recent upgrade. One of these went for insane money at WonderCon I am told.

comdarkmysteries10_zpsubxrgha5.jpg

Sweet copy! What was the insane price/grade level of the WonderCon one? :)

Edit to add, I could also just finish reading the thread...

Edited by originalisbest

I was told a dealer sold a good copy to a collector for $350. The buyer turned right around and sold it for $500. That is a bit insane to me... I thought I paid up a little for this one at $250.

At $250 you did great on your copy. :) I don't think $500 for a good is too nuts, if they'd looked for a long time and not found one, it might well have been worth it!

I'm happy with my Vg/F copy, got it from Boyd, but that was probably 2003 or so? I may have a slip with when I bought it tucked into the mylar. :)

I was told a dealer sold a good copy to a collector for $350. The buyer turned right around and sold it for $500. That is a bit insane to me... I thought I paid up a little for this one at $250.

$500! That's crazy, I sold a GD copy just a few years back for $60 or $70 on ebay, and it took a while for someone to pull the trigger.

Now given the rise in second tier classic cover horror books, $250 for a nice mid grade copy does seem like a bargain, and would have been a decent deal a few years back even.

I think all the best of the Story books tend towards first tier -- but that's my bias showing. Their unabashed ripoffs of the EC formula, plus extra gore = irresistable! :)

image.jpg

I think the change in the cover had to do with that story "Dig That Grave" by Bob Powell being bumped out of that issue and remaining a unpublished PCH story by Harvey Comics.

I'm purely guessing as to the why which could be for many reasons but we are coming to the end of the PCH era with the code around the corner so it's possible they were trying to tone things down a bit amid the anti-comics pressure of the time. Hence a much tamer cover and a Bob Powell story dropped altogether.

ab516a136e99c0ba5769f683428c59741b0cbec8.jpeg

I've never read the Powell story -- are all the pages available for viewing somewhere?

It's really a shame for the PCH collector, totally understandable at the time, that Witches Tales #27 was altered as it was, went from a upper tier classic cover to less than impressive with just a facial adjustment. Bummer!

At $250 you did great on your copy. :) I don't think $500 for a good is too nuts, if they'd looked for a long time and not found one, it might well have been worth it!

I'm happy with my Vg/F copy, got it from Boyd, but that was probably 2003 or so? I may have a slip with when I bought it tucked into the mylar. :)

It probably is when you consider this copy was sitting on eBay just 2 months ago as a BIN for $50.00. hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Mysteries-10-good-Master-Comics-1952-Golden-Age-Horror-Suspense-/351644768688?hash=item51dfa959b0:g:bZgAAOSwoydWsO-t

It's a nice cover but not nice enough for a $500.00 copy in good to me. Many more better covers out there for that kind of money and it's not even my favourite in the Dark Mysteries run. Still a nice book to own nonetheless.

It probably is when you consider this copy was sitting on eBay just 2 months ago as a BIN for $50.00. hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dark-Mysteries-10-good-Master-Comics-1952-Golden-Age-Horror-Suspense-/351644768688?hash=item51dfa959b0:g:bZgAAOSwoydWsO-t

It's a nice cover but not nice enough for a $500.00 copy in good to me. Many more better covers out there for that kind of money and it's not even my favourite in the Dark Mysteries run. Still a nice book to own nonetheless.

Too cheap at $50 (nice deal for someone) and too expensive at $500. Split the diff, $200ish for a good would seem fair to me.