• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on pressing

83 posts in this topic

We press = Good Job Mattie, that's a 9.8 fer sure! :acclaim:

Anyone else press = fricking amateur, -2 simply for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person! :makepoint:

But who's gonna watch the watcher? (shrug)

Apex of invisibility and shape-shifting be damned, it it's not Mattish, it's ! :sumo:

angry_scotsmen.jpg

+1

"Since pressing has received greater visibility in the last few years, the need for education us to corner the market in the market is more important than ever. How an individual someone not on our payroll presses a book can significantly impact a grade, both positively and negatively. If improperly applied, a pressing technique may damage or even ruin a book. Thus, it is important for the community to understand CGC’s standards for grading books that reflect signs of improper pressing, to encourage methods that best protect the integrity of the book such as having the book pressed by us only. CGC takes very seriously the threat to our business by others the impact pressing may have on an individual book, as well as on the hobby as a whole and our profit margins.

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks and loss of revenue for us. Each month, this column will cover one particular defect caused by improper pressing in the hope that you will realise that all pressing jobs are better done by us and not our competitors."

(Don't suppose this will last but was fun doing it.)

:roflmao:

No offense to The CGC, but where was this post prior to buying Classics? Are we going to get specific input on the grade impact for each "bad pressing defect"? If not, are we just left to wonder? This is a hardly subtle suggestion to be sure to use approved pressers before submitting.

Speaking of which, where is Mark Zaid with the update on how CGC is completely separating CCS from CGC?

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks.

Can someone post a slab scan of a book where "melted inks" was in the grader's notes. :wishluck:

What is the melting point? How hot would you have to set a dry mount press in order melt inks? :eek:

Just curious. First I've ever seen it mentioned.

Bad press jobs equates to the way Patriot defenders used to hold Colts receivers 6-8 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Butthurt Has No Expiration Date

:whee:

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks.

Can someone post a slab scan of a book where "melted inks" was in the grader's notes. :wishluck:

What is the melting point? How hot would you have to set a dry mount press in order melt inks? :eek:

Melted inks comes more often from a tacking iron that is too hot.

I doubt anyone is setting their dry mount press high enough to melt the ink, but I try not to overestimate the stupidity of some people.

The melting point varies literally from book to book. You might have no problem with the tacking iron at one temperature for 100 books, then whammo. You get that one book with ink that wasn't properly cured and it melts.

Bad press jobs equates to the way Patriot defenders used to hold Colts receivers 6-8 yards off the line of scrimmage.

FU Cheater Lover

Melted inks comes more often from a tacking iron that is too hot.

I doubt anyone is setting their dry mount press high enough to melt the ink, but I try not to overestimate the stupidity of some people.

The melting point varies literally from book to book. You might have no problem with the tacking iron at one temperature for 100 books, then whammo. You get that one book with ink that wasn't properly cured and it melts.

Thank you. (thumbs u

Hopefully we'll get to see an example from someone. :wishluck:

FU Cheater Lover

If I wasn't half hungover from staying up late watching the Bruins double overtime win I might have witty retart for you, but for now I hump the Notify Moderator button like Sidney Crosby hitting refresh on available tee times for next week.

If I wasn't half hungover from staying up late watching the Bruins double overtime win I might have witty retart for you, but for now I hump the Notify Moderator button like Sidney Crosby hitting refresh on available tee times for next week.

:applause:

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.

I've never seen a book with pressing noted. Can you show us an example? Just curious- I'm not trying to insight the mob.

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.

I've never seen a book with pressing noted. Can you show us an example? Just curious- I'm not trying to insight the mob.

Roy is talking specifically about grader's notes. But there are tons of books that have pressing noted.

Roy is talking specifically about grader's notes. But there are tons of books that have pressing noted.

Really? I know I haven't been around the block, but I've never seen one...Pic?

I would think Roy isn't saying that the notes indicate "book pressed, and pretty badly" but that it might have a note rearding defects that can be attributed to pressing, such as "waffle iron imprints".

No pay, no pic. (tsk)

No pay, no pic. (tsk)

Salty Mike.

I would think Roy isn't saying that the notes indicate "book pressed, and pretty badly" but that it might have a note rearding defects that can be attributed to pressing, such as "waffle iron imprints".

Really? They note that? Crazy! I'd love to see one. I'm trying to google it but not finding anything...