• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

Why? I dunno. Perhaps it was prepared for a 3rd print of UXM # 281, decided that a 3rd print wasn't needed, and rather than let it go to waste, presented it as a bonus for UXM #282 2nd print?

Actually, if that was folded the other way it would work as a cover for 281. I imagine what happened is that it ended up being cheaper to do a single run of a new cover rather than run off 2 new covers for reprints, so they did the double-sided new cover, and simply never used the printed pieces for a third print of 281

The silver logo is FAR superior to the red one.

I suspect, since metallic ink logos were still fairly "new" at that point, whatever they had going didn't work, and they were pressed for time.

You can see a vast, vast difference in quality and paper stock for the Marvel second prints of the era.

Ghost Rider #5 is a real pain to find in ultra high grade, with sloppy, sloppy printing on the cover, smeary, splotchy, the works.

Death's Head II #1 is fingerprint heaven.

New Mutants #87 is notorious for finger prints and spine tics. Same with New Warriors #1. Same with X-Factor #60, New Mutants #95, and X-Men #270. Any sort of pressure on that metallic ink on the spine, and it just cracked right off.

Ghost Rider #15 worked VERY well, but that was a different cover stock.

X-Force #1 is well done, but still had a lot of bindery flecking.

X-Men #282 suffers from the same wonky overlaps as the first print, plus fingerprints.

I think the nicest of the bunch, of the entire program, was New Mutants #100 2nd and 3rd. Those are fairly easy to get 9.8s, they are mostly white, so they don't fingerprint if you look at them funny, and they are really high quality.

This thread showed me that an X-Factor 60 2nd print existed. So I had to go out & grab that today since I was certain that I already had a full-run on the series (including all printings & variants) and then had to find out that I didn't. Now I do.

Pulled this second print out of Vintage Stock yesterday.

Darkhawk05-2nd.jpg

yaaahhh

Here are the identifying features of the Hulk MME from my old STLcomics write-up...

First of all the cover is much lighter gray and you can barely make out "Facsimile Edition" in the "M" logo above the price. The interior pages are also newsprint-like paper and not slick paper like the regular edition... all of the ads are otherwise identical.

Here are the identifying features of the Hulk MME from my old STLcomics write-up...

First of all the cover is much lighter gray and you can barely make out "Facsimile Edition" in the "M" logo above the price. The interior pages are also newsprint-like paper and not slick paper like the regular edition... all of the ads are otherwise identical.

I used to try to look for these and I just quit. Took me too long to tell the difference.