• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

Depending on how late we want to go in defining the Copper Age, X-Men Chronicles (1995) #1 was reprinted. I have a reprint of Ka-Zar #1 (1997) as well.

Pics, please.

If not mentioned, X-Men: Alpha has a second printing, without the chromium cover.

Depending on how late we want to go in defining the Copper Age, X-Men Chronicles (1995) #1 was reprinted. I have a reprint of Ka-Zar #1 (1997) as well.

Pics, please.

If not mentioned, X-Men: Alpha has a second printing, without the chromium cover.

I think they're both in storage somewhere, so it's going to be a while.

Comicspriceguide has an image of the Ka-Zar:

http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/ka-zar/scrq

And an image of the splash page of Chronicles:

http://comicspriceguide.com/titles/x-men-chronicles/rltv

Pics, please.

:cry: I completely forgot about that second printing. I know what I'm looking for this weekend.

Pics, please.

Pics, please.

Yep, but I kinda figured that most people here would have an account for a site like comicspriceguide.

Pics, please.

Mycomicshop.com also lists Ka-Zar #1 (1997) as a second print, but I'm not sure. The UPC code ends with 00121, which normally means it is a variant cover. A second print would usually be 00112, correct? I guess the indicia would be definitive.

"2nd print"

721377.jpg

"1st print"

647659.jpg

Pics, please.

X-Men Chronicles (1995) covers look the same, but indicia seems to indicate. The comicspriceguide.com scan is small and blurry to me, but kind of looks like it says Second printing.

2nd print

560203.jpg

Pics, please.

Mycomicshop.com also lists Ka-Zar #1 (1997) as a second print, but I'm not sure. The UPC code ends with 00121, which normally means it is a variant cover. A second print would usually be 00112, correct? I guess the indicia would be definitive.

"2nd print"

721377.jpg

"1st print"

647659.jpg

There were three versions of Ka-Zar (1997) #1

Newsstand Edition - Black Background

Direct Edition (A) - White Background (pictured above)

Direct Edition (B) - Black Background (pictured above)

All three were released 5/1/1997. I don't believe there was a second print.

Issues #2 and #3 also had cover variations

#2 A (Regular Cover) 6752.jpg

#2 B (Alternate Cover 233311.jpg

#3 A ($1.95 Cover Price)

#3 B ($1.99 Cover Price)

Pics, please.

"2nd print"

721377.jpg

"1st print"

647659.jpg

I have both variants.

The 4th number in the code stands for "variant", but this is not always strictly followed. A second print, normally, would be 00112, but this, neither, is strictly followed.

It was definitely an "under the radar" thing, and perhaps the prototype for their soon to follow "white" covered variants.

Pics, please.

X-Men Chronicles (1995) covers look the same, but indicia seems to indicate. The comicspriceguide.com scan is small and blurry to me, but kind of looks like it says Second printing.

2nd print

560203.jpg

It's certainly possible, but would be odd with no difference. All (or nearly all) the AoA 1st issues were second printed, and called "X-Tra editions" in the UPC, with recognizably different color schemes on the covers.

Pics, please.

"2nd print"

721377.jpg

"1st print"

647659.jpg

#3 A ($1.95 Cover Price)

#3 B ($1.99 Cover Price)

Issues #1 and #2 should also be price variants. Marvel had newsstand price variants from *about* June of 1996 (I haven't nailed this down) until July of 1997. Newsstands were all (or almost all) $1.99, while Direct editions were $1.95.

And at this point, Marvel was issuing variants for their #2s across the board, beginning in 1997. The "variant" is the book with "2" in the UPC code, but they were all issued in 50/50 formats, so neither is rarer for any of them.

I have yet to see any sort of demand for any of these variants, one over the other.

Pics, please.

"2nd print"

721377.jpg

"1st print"

647659.jpg

#3 A ($1.95 Cover Price)

#3 B ($1.99 Cover Price)

Issues #1 and #2 should also be price variants. Marvel had newsstand price variants from *about* June of 1996 (I haven't nailed this down) until July of 1997. Newsstands were all (or almost all) $1.99, while Direct editions were $1.95.

And at this point, Marvel was issuing variants for their #2s across the board, beginning in 1997. The "variant" is the book with "2" in the UPC code, but they were all issued in 50/50 formats, so neither is rarer for any of them.

I have yet to see any sort of demand for any of these variants, one over the other.

I remember plenty of 2 variants around that time. I think Marvel just wanted to avoid such a sharp drop in numbers at the beginning of a run.

For my set I placed the cut at 1993... essentially once Marvel started putting "Direct Edition" into the UPC I stopped considering them Copper. The vast majority of the 2nd/3rd prints are from 1990 to 1992 anyway. The exception may be the Hulk 377 3rd print from 1994 as the original was from 1991.

BTW, does anyone know if there are any cover differences between the Nam #1 1st and 2nd prints? I can't seem to tell them apart online.

For my set I placed the cut at 1993... essentially once Marvel started putting "Direct Edition" into the UPC I stopped considering them Copper. The vast majority of the 2nd/3rd prints are from 1990 to 1992 anyway. The exception may be the Hulk 377 3rd print from 1994 as the original was from 1991.

BTW, does anyone know if there are any cover differences between the Nam #1 1st and 2nd prints? I can't seem to tell them apart online.

I would have to get them both in front of me at the same time. I'll see if I can find them both. I *think* there is a slight difference, but I'm not sure. It is one of the few books of the era that doesn't have a UK price.

GI Joe #4, for example, the only cover difference is the font of the Canadian and UK prices, and it's extremely minute.

I don't think so. I have multiple copies of each and I've never noticed a difference. And the 2nd print copy in the indicia almost looks like it was printed separately as well. Somewhat odd.

I don't think so. I have multiple copies of each and I've never noticed a difference. And the 2nd print copy in the indicia almost looks like it was printed separately as well. Somewhat odd.

Thanks guys, does the 2nd print have another month or year from the 1st print? I don't recall if this was a big seller in 1987 but 2nd prints were rare back then so I wonder is this was done immediately after the 1st print and even before the 1st prints were distributed?

Thanks guys, does the 2nd print have another month or year from the 1st print? I don't recall if this was a big seller in 1987 but 2nd prints were rare back then so I wonder is this was done immediately after the 1st print and even before the 1st prints were distributed?

I picked up the 2nd print pretty much the same time I started collecting. I think #4 was out at that time (and the 2nd print was on the shelf, not in back issues). My guess is that they used the same printing plates as the first print and just stripped in the 2nd print copy on the indicia.

Thundercats 1.

It's been like 10 years since I bought my copies but I believe they were 3rd prints. Got to check. So diappointed they weren't first prints. Got them real cheap though.