• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

I collected in those days, there were all kids of rumors and hearsay about how to detect a second print. I was talking with a buddy not long ago and he said "Oh the Spider-Man head where the barcode goes, that means its a second print." I did a double take and I remembered believing that when I was young. I was very ashamed for him that he still held this belief, not enough time wasted errr spent reading the boards like me. Now that I think about it, I wonder I this accounts for a small portion of the newsstand love, perhaps there are more bidders out there thinking these are second prints.

Start a collection of JCPenny variants from the 90s. Some of those books are pretty tough to find.

Occasionally they cause havoc in auctions as well because sellers think they are the original copies.

So does CGC occasionally.

scan0256.jpg

And just because. 9,4 on a copper seems terrible. Its almost best case scenarion for SMFs

scan0337.jpg

Start a collection of JCPenny variants from the 90s. Some of those books are pretty tough to find.

Occasionally they cause havoc in auctions as well because sellers think they are the original copies.

scan0256.jpg

And just because. 9,4 on a copper seems terrible. Its almost best case scenarion for SMFs

scan0337.jpg

A 9.4 on a SMF book is like a 9.9/10.0 of a normal copper book. Just insane. Nice book!

scan0256.jpg

scan0337.jpg

A 9.4 on a SMF book is like a 9.9/10.0 of a normal copper book. Just insane. Nice book!

Well, I wouldn't go that far but since there is a much smaller pool of available issues to choose from-they are tougher in grade. I would say that in my set four would grade 9.4, four would be about 9.0 and the last four 7.5-8.0. Of course I had a head start on most everybody and upgraded and then traded my undercopies over the course of a few years.

BTW, this is a great set to put together since it crosses over 3 publishers just like the Shan-Lon mini comics.

What is everyones opinion on the future value of these rarer later printings? While I agree that they are rarer and that can potentially mean more value. Isnt really a small number of completists who would want them all ?

Any chance they could be file copies that somehow leaked out?
Unlikely. Being an error of some kind is more likely. I just wish there were more examples of different books having this same error. In the history of marvel, this scenario should have happened a few more times than just these two books. That's just my feeling on the matter.

The difference with these books is that somebody probably took them from the printer's building and held on to them. In almost every other instance, these books would never have left the printing building, but would have been destroyed. These books are probably examples that "fell off the truck", and were taken by an dishonest employee.

Due to the many copies of xmen classic that are out in the wild, I have a hard time putting this book in the same category as the 302. My quest for the truth continues.

Any chance they could be file copies that somehow leaked out?
Unlikely. Being an error of some kind is more likely. I just wish there were more examples of different books having this same error. In the history of marvel, this scenario should have happened a few more times than just these two books. That's just my feeling on the matter.

The difference with these books is that somebody probably took them from the printer's building and held on to them. In almost every other instance, these books would never have left the printing building, but would have been destroyed. These books are probably examples that "fell off the truck", and were taken by an dishonest employee.

Due to the many copies of xmen classic that are out in the wild, I have a hard time putting this book in the same category as the 302. My quest for the truth continues.

2hozho7.jpg

I just came across a Transformers 8 2nd printing. I wasn't aware they reprinted any of those issues...

There are 3 copies graded.

James G

Edited by jgallo

I just came across a Transformers 8 2nd printing. I wasn't aware they reprinted any of those issues...

There are 3 copies graded.

James G

1 and 7-9 had multiple printings for sure, and I would assume other early issues did as well.

Thought of another one.. Nam #1 - I believe that had a 2nd printing. Classic Michael Golden.

I just read in another thread that apparently Nam #52 had a 2nd print as well. There may be more from this title (keeping in mind that OP specifically mentioned superhero books, but I would guess others are curious too).

Pretty sure #52 features the Punisher, so it qualifies (even if the Punisher isn't "super")

The list for volume 1 hulks is:

115 marvel legend

140 JCpenny

314 marvel legend

333 JCpenny

335 SMF

340 dollar general

377 2nd and 3rd

393 2nd

400 2nd

No 181 in the 90's?

There was a reprint of the first Hulk/Wolverine story in 1986. Not exactly a second print since there were multiple issues involved. In my mind, this is the difference between "reprint" and "second print":

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070311011443/marveldatabase/images/6/62/The_Incredible_Hulk_and_Wolverine_Vol_1_1.jpg

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps