• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wanna start chasing Marvel 2nd prints...
5 5

333 posts in this topic

Here is another issue with a blank UPC that had both direct and newstand versions. I have this issue and it looks to me that it is a similar error but they did put the correct newstand info in the price box.

6456_10.jpg

Do you think this ends the mystery? I know CGC lists the book as a variant, but that implies intent. I just wish there were other examples of this kind of error, if in fact it is an error. It can't be just these two examples to write it off as an error book. That's just my logic.

I would also check the back cover, inside of both the front and back covers and

compare them to other copies. During the late 1980's and later, big box stores

and catalog stores were selling bulk collections of 50 or 100 comics and assorted

collecting items. Sears JcPenny Fingerhut etc had listings in their Christmas

catalogs, and occasionally these were additional print copies. I've bought several

of the Sears collectors sets still factory wrapped and pulled various odd comics

from them.

Here is another issue with a blank UPC that had both direct and newstand versions. I have this issue and it looks to me that it is a similar error but they did put the correct newstand info in the price box.

6456_10.jpg

Do you think this ends the mystery? I know CGC lists the book as a variant, but that implies intent. I just wish there were other examples of this kind of error, if in fact it is an error. It can't be just these two examples to write it off as an error book. That's just my logic.

I would also check the back cover, inside of both the front and back covers and

compare them to other copies. During the late 1980's and later, big box stores

and catalog stores were selling bulk collections of 50 or 100 comics and assorted

collecting items. Sears JcPenny Fingerhut etc had listings in their Christmas

catalogs, and occasionally these were additional print copies. I've bought several

of the Sears collectors sets still factory wrapped and pulled various odd comics

from them.

We have definitely ruled it out as a Penny's books, and according to metarog, the indicia is identical, as well as the rest of the book, to the original.

Did anyone ever play the X-men card game? I recently saw a box of these from the 90's that was in a store and it says it contains a comic. Since the last two examples have both been X-men any chance that these books with no UPC or direct ship insignia were part of a release for the card game?

Just throwing my wild fanciful hat into the ring....

Did anyone ever play the X-men card game? I recently saw a box of these from the 90's that was in a store and it says it contains a comic. Since the last two examples have both been X-men any chance that these books with no UPC or direct ship insignia were part of a release for the card game?

Just throwing my wild fanciful hat into the ring....

The Pressman card game, or the crummy CCG that came out in 2000? I don't recall comics being with either, so I'm curious to what this is you speak of.

According to Metarog (THE source), the book is identical to the regular 302 except for the UPC and price box, which would probably make the book less apt to be a reprint. When the first copies of this book were found, I'm not sure.

Edited by Paper Airplane

Pretty sure it was the crummy one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-Trading-Card-Game-Starter-Set-Opened-but-never-played-/151182559828?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item23332eca54

This particular auction is opened though, and it looks like it is a comic of the X-Men movie. First time I've seen it open so there goes my theory....

Edited by Mayor006

Any chance they could be file copies that somehow leaked out?
Unlikely. Being an error of some kind is more likely. I just wish there were more examples of different books having this same error. In the history of marvel, this scenario should have happened a few more times than just these two books. That's just my feeling on the matter.

There are other errors out there just maybe not this exact error. The thing is that if it is an error then you would think the printers are trying to avoid it so very few happen much less see the light of day. I know of other similar errors such as a Hulk issue with a missing UPC on the whole newstand run and a Spider-Man with missing bars in the UPC. There are other errors such as missing mastheads and several with missing text on the cover.

Take a look at this FF issue where the last bar on the UPC is "dropping"...

B603gEWkKGrHqRjQEybwhilyBBMQkFh7lQ_3.jpg

It is next to impossible to prove but an error seems the most likely explanation.

Any chance they could be file copies that somehow leaked out?
Unlikely. Being an error of some kind is more likely. I just wish there were more examples of different books having this same error. In the history of marvel, this scenario should have happened a few more times than just these two books. That's just my feeling on the matter.

The difference with these books is that somebody probably took them from the printer's building and held on to them. In almost every other instance, these books would never have left the printing building, but would have been destroyed. These books are probably examples that "fell off the truck", and were taken by an dishonest employee.

It will never cease to amaze me how the thinking on 2nd (and later) printings has changed over the years. When I started collecting as a kid in the 80's, opening up a book and seeing "Second Print" was the kiss of death, and Gold covers = garbage.

Now, as an adult, it makes perfect sense that the smaller print runs and relatively scarcity of high grade copies (due to kids like me treating 2nd printings like when they came out) would make the prices rise and the books harder to find. It's just funny how time can alter perceptions so much. Now when I'm out in the shops, I'm hunting those same gold and silver covers and later printings that I shunned as a youngster.

Comic collecting is strange. But fun.

It will never cease to amaze me how the thinking on 2nd (and later) printings has changed over the years. When I started collecting as a kid in the 80's, opening up a book and seeing "Second Print" was the kiss of death, and Gold covers = garbage.

Now, as an adult, it makes perfect sense that the smaller print runs and relatively scarcity of high grade copies (due to kids like me treating 2nd printings like when they came out) would make the prices rise and the books harder to find. It's just funny how time can alter perceptions so much. Now when I'm out in the shops, I'm hunting those same gold and silver covers and later printings that I shunned as a youngster.

Comic collecting is strange. But fun.

Word. :headbang: