• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Walking Dead #1 Black Label vs White Label - an Answer! UPDATED 2/4/14
2 2

304 posts in this topic

Thanks bffnut...I know you put a lot of work into this thread.

I find it a very valuable resource and with all the information provided. I feel pretty confident to say that the Black Label is a smaller print run than the white.Based on that perception I find it more desirable.To the average collector or a new collector it probably doesn't mean much.Once again thanks to all the people that have contributed to this thread.This place is great, there's no way I would have been able to compile all this information on my own.And if I had, the amount of time it would have taken would have been ridiculous.

The Point is and I know a majority of people will agree, there are less Black Label vs White Label Walking Dead's, period. We don't even need BF's analysis to see it.

:sumo:

+ 1

I only count 17 #1's on ebay. :o

I just counted it...whether it be in lots or individual sales there are 35 copies of WD #1 for sale on the Bay...29 are white labels and 6 are black.

Then looked at CL and between Sales Pending and available it's 7 white and 1 black.

To suggest there are thousands of black labels to select from, is absolute and complete BS. The print run is just over 7k, and I would hazard a guess there isn't even 1,000 black labels still in existence.

When all I used to do was buy and sell WD comics, every single one of my black labels sold for more than its white label counterpart. And a black label was always the version most requested.

Jim

Kirkman himself has gone on the record specifically disputing your "guess" and your personal and anecdotal experience is in direct contrast with what we see in publicly available sales data. (thumbs u

-J.

This is true. Kirkman has publicly said that he thought that there were less white labels than black labels. However, ask anyone who has sold enough copies of Walking Dead #1 to have significant sample size (more than 20 or 30) and they will tell you what Jim just did: white lables outnumber the black labels. This is not just confirmation bias, as my analysis provides empirical evidence.

As far as price difference - you cant just look at what is on sale in eBay right now. You would have to look at trending data. When I first considered doing this, I did not think it would be possible because the prices were swinging around to wildly. However, I think the baseline has settled around $2k, and you can probably do an analysis now.

Anecdotally, most sellers will tell you black labels fetch a premium. I tend to believe people who have sold a significant amount of them (like Jim). I've only sold on black label and one white label, and I was able to sell my black label for 50% more than the baseline. I think that is an extreme example, though. I also sold it during the middle of the season, which is a better time to sell WD than in the middle of the summer.

I've also had dealers tell me that they've sold just as many blacks as whites and have also said there was no significant or consistent "premium" yielded either way.

Anecdotal experience is fine and dandy but the publicly available sales data doesn't lie and speaks for itself. This isn't about "winning an argument". It's about pointing out what is readily observable in the open market, every single day of the week, and across all grades, by anyone who cares to look at it with an un-biased eye. But since we know some people will choose to believe whatever they want in spite of actual facts and sales data, I don't hold out much hope for that being possible. :sorry:

-J.

And yet you refuse such logic when you're selling a "rare" book. hm

I stand by my reputation as a myth-buster on these boards. It is not necessary for me to catalogue every sale on ebay, comic link, etc for your convenience. You seem to be standing by your spurious claim that black labels always sell at a "premium". This blatant falsehood has "already" been disproven by even "just" the nearly dozen (okay, nine) examples I have already cited where the white labels actually sold for slightly more both in grade and raw. I know how ebay "works" and I watched your multiple price drops in your thread, and noticed how you only (and finally) sold your book after you dropped it below recent white label sales and even linked to that white label sale as justification/support for the pricing of your black label book. So evidently, you know how ebay works as well and should easily be able to find the other dozen or so comparable sales and expired listings on there right now that I didn't feel the need to also cite, as they are duplicative examples that prove the same points.

In other words, myth busted. Again. :shy:

-J.

lol

This is the biggest load of BS I have ever seen on the boards. No more evidence required to question this "source".

I'm so confused. Just because GPA doesn't differentiate the difference between white and black label doesn't mean it is impossible to determine. It just takes a LOT of work and digging and I guessing that is what he did.

I guess we'll just keep:

65pbhk.gif

I would like to officially join the contest.

1) it is very likely that I have sold more WD #1's than anyone since Image. :)

2) I have seen a premium go both ways depending on which the buyer believed was more rare. This is a minority of buyers as can be seen by most auctions.

3) there are less black labels than white

4) JDR is never worth "debating". You can't "win" when the opponent makes up the rules.

5) I have too many copies right now.

6) I may have a low grade black label for James. I don't track B vs W when I send them in.

7) Sensei has a great set

8) James has a great set

9) Spider MJ/Venom cover is ridiculous and any owner would be silly not to sell now.

10) Fear the Walking Dead starts in just over 3 weeks.

I agree, there does not seem to be a price difference. But it is hard to say that for certain because the price of any WD #1 is pretty volatile.

....11/15/13

:whistle:

-J.

Perhaps you should try harder to see the point and less on peddling variants?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8778128&fpart=1

I stand by my reputation as a myth-buster on these boards. It is not necessary for me to catalogue every sale on ebay, comic link, etc for your convenience. You seem to be standing by your spurious claim that black labels always sell at a "premium". This blatant falsehood has "already" been disproven by even "just" the nearly dozen (okay, nine) examples I have already cited where the white labels actually sold for slightly more both in grade and raw. I know how ebay "works" and I watched your multiple price drops in your thread, and noticed how you only (and finally) sold your book after you dropped it below recent white label sales and even linked to that white label sale as justification/support for the pricing of your black label book. So evidently, you know how ebay works as well and should easily be able to find the other dozen or so comparable sales and expired listings on there right now that I didn't feel the need to also cite, as they are duplicative examples that prove the same points.

In other words, myth busted. Again. :shy:

-J.

lol

This is the biggest load of BS I have ever seen on the boards. No more evidence required to question this "source".

I'm in total agreement with you. He preaches to have evidence for his source yet posts none. He would be a terrible debater. 2c

bffnut - you rock for putting the time into this, brother :applause:

I'm in total agreement with you. He preaches to have evidence for his source yet posts none. He would be a terrible debater. 2c

Great spin doctor, though. No one does more with less than Jdog.

Nothing like starting with a conclusion, and bending the facts to say what you want.

Great spin doctor, though. No one does more with less than Jdog.

Nothing like starting with a conclusion, and bending the facts to say what you want.

A terrible debater but perhaps a great politician hm

I agree, there does not seem to be a price difference. But it is hard to say that for certain because the price of any WD #1 is pretty volatile.

:shy:

-J.

While it is open for debate for some and I see what your doing here...it's not uncommon to change your opinion as the data comes in or the debate continues. We all have done this one time or another.Well most of us...my brother is always right even when he is wrong.Which makes me to want to be right even when Im wrong. Which makes for an unhealthy debate. Which makes me want to add something more profound to this dicussion.But after rereading what I just wrote I definitely think I'm better off with the very short responses...

I like Walking Dead comics.Yeah much more natural for me.

:shy:

-J.

While it is open for debate for some and I see what your doing here...it's not uncommon to change you opinion as the data comes in or the debate continues. We all have done this one time or another.Well most of us...my brother is always right even when he is wrong.Which makes me to want to be right even when I wrong. Which makes for an unhealthy debate. Which makes me want to add something more profound to this dicussion.But after rereading what I just wrote I definitely think I'm better off with the very short responses...

I like Walking Dead comics.Yeah much more natural for me.

Wait a second....!!! JDog is your brother...?!?!? :ohnoez:

....11/15/13

-J.

Like I said before in this thread, I never bothered looking at the data before because the price was too volatile. But since the price has stabilized a bit, I felt a comparison could be made.

I would like to officially join the contest.

1) it is very likely that I have sold more WD #1's than anyone since Image. :)

2) I have seen a premium go both ways depending on which the buyer believed was more rare. This is a minority of buyers as can be seen by most auctions.

So we are in agreement. (thumbs u

-J.