• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The story behind 2/4...and my Daredevil #1 grail!

100 posts in this topic

You are actually mistaken. It's not 2/4 its 214, and here's what it means.

See the original owner a strapping young kid on the cusp of puberty named Saul. He was coming back home from a stop at the newstand where he had just purchased a new title offering from Marvel (he'd enjoyed Peter Parker, and wished he could be as cool as Johnny Storm). He couldnt imagine being as smart as Parker or Reed Richards, numbers and science were never his thing, but he sure wouldn't mind some superpowers.

As he was walking up the stairs to his parents 4th floor apartment in Brooklyn he spied the most lovely blond girl stepping out of the doorway on the 2nd floor landing and walking towards him. She didn't look familiar from school (didn't he know all the kids in the building?) and as she passed him she introduced herself as Nancy Polnechau, and said that her family had just moved into the building.

Saul was struck mute (as was often the case when girls talked to him these days), and he watched her walk off down the staircase. Before passing out of view she called back "come by in the morning and maybe you can walk me to school?"

Lovestruck, Saul looked back down the hall she had appeared from, pulled out a small pencil from his back pocket and carefully wrote on the back of his new Daredevil #1 her apartment number.

"214"

^^ That's what I'm talking about... Pure genius! :golfclap:

Hey Guys! :hi:

Many of you may know that I finally just got my grail! :acclaim: - Daredevil #1. :cloud9:

DD1_zps0573a38b.jpg

DD1back_zps3175e2c9.jpg

A buddy pointed out that there's a "2/4" written on the back at the top left corner. Doesn't matter to me. I still am so happy to get this book and from such a great guy to boot! :foryou:

But, being stuck at my desk all day and marveling at the book, it got me thinking hm I wonder what the "2/4" could be. So, I'm letting you guys tell me a story if you'd like what YOU think the "2/4" could have been for! lol There are no prizes. Nothing to sell. No price analysis. Just stupid fun I guess. Basically, have fun coming up with stories if you'd like or laugh at other's :insane: stories.

I know it's a date. :gossip: Or maybe it's a code for something. And I don't want tips or techniques about having it cleaned or removed. Just tell me the story behind the numbers. There are so many creative and witty people on here, some of you guys have to come up with a good story behind those numbers..... "2/4"

And I hope to God I don't get a "cricket. cricket." from this thread....

Have at it! :baiting:

Great book!Daredevil kicks azz

This is easy to me, 2/4 that is = 0.5. I bet some kid couldn't do math back then so how about do a research to see who is the original owner, crack open the case, write down the answer to that question and send the book back to him/her. Poor kid couldn't do math, they don't have iphone back then you know!!!!!

This is easy to me, 2/4 that is = 0.5. I bet some kid couldn't do math back then so how about do a research to see who is the original owner, crack open the case, write down the answer to that question and send the book back to him/her. Poor kid couldn't do math, they don't have iphone back then you know!!!!!

:applause:lol

:gossip: I don't think that I'll crack/resub...the writing wasn't mentioned in the grader notes? (shrug)

You are actually mistaken. It's not 2/4 its 214, and here's what it means.

See the original owner a strapping young kid on the cusp of puberty named Saul. He was coming back home from a stop at the newstand where he had just purchased a new title offering from Marvel (he'd enjoyed Peter Parker, and wished he could be as cool as Johnny Storm). He couldnt imagine being as smart as Parker or Reed Richards, numbers and science were never his thing, but he sure wouldn't mind some superpowers.

As he was walking up the stairs to his parents 4th floor apartment in Brooklyn he spied the most lovely blond girl stepping out of the doorway on the 2nd floor landing and walking towards him. She didn't look familiar from school (didn't he know all the kids in the building?) and as she passed him she introduced herself as Nancy Polnechau, and said that her family had just moved into the building.

Saul was struck mute (as was often the case when girls talked to him these days), and he watched her walk off down the staircase. Before passing out of view she called back "come by in the morning and maybe you can walk me to school?"

Lovestruck, Saul looked back down the hall she had appeared from, pulled out a small pencil from his back pocket and carefully wrote on the back of his new Daredevil #1 her apartment number.

"214"

^^ That's what I'm talking about... Pure genius! :golfclap:

See now I was going to say something about this book coming from the original collection of Carl Malden and he gave it 2 out of 4 stars and somebody comes up with that. I bow to your writing prowess.

See now I was going to say something about this book coming from the original collection of Carl Malden and he gave it 2 out of 4 stars and somebody comes up with that. I bow to your writing prowess.

That's ok Michael. It's not a race. Just go back to the drawing board, get that creative juice flowing and come up with an original story! :baiting:

I want a story! lol

The young man knew he loved to draw, knew he wanted to improve. He was staring at the Famous School ad for the hundredth time, daydreaming. Some of the artists he admired most were on that "Greatest" list. Jon Whitcomb could draw women like no one else. Realistic depictions of accurate beauty. And Austin Briggs, my God the man could tell a story, pulling you right in.

He thought about their work and his. Lightly penciled a 2/4 at the top, noting the second name in the first column and the forth name in the second column, silently vowing 'Dave Stevens' would someday join their ranks.

DD1back_zps3175e2c9.jpg

woman+in+big+hat.jpgtumblr_lhkihupWop1qz5q5oo1_500.jpg

It was a crisp February afternoon in 1964 Brooklyn when Jackie got off the J train at the Cleveland Avenue station. She's returning home after spending the morning with Nana Gayle in her Queens apartment. After stepping off the train and allowing the small crowd to dissipate, she removed her mittens to expose a shiny new quarter in each palm of her hand. The cold air shocked her small fingers and as she exposed the metal to the air a small mist of steam rose from her warm, sweaty palms. The coins were a reward from her elderly grandmother for "being such a big helper". Her older brother nudged her along so they could leave the elevated and exposed platform and go down to the warmth of the station.

She had thought of how to spend her "fifty whole cents" since she tucked them into her mittens 12 stops ago. She could buy a week's worth of goldfish and Hershey's bars, or maybe a few suckers that she could share with her brother Nick, or even a matinee ticket to see Mary Poppins! But her mind quickly drifted to her friend Cynthia. Dindy, as she called her, has been her neighbor and good friend for most of her 8 years. But Dindy could not go out and play as all the other children because she had contracted polio when she was 3 years old. Even though both were vaccinated, Dindy succomed to the virus and it caused her limbs to be weak. Dindy was, as her parents put it, "fragile". She was fortunate that she didn't need an iron lung to breathe but she needed help to get around. Jackie never saw Dindy as handicapped, only as different - the same different that she saw about her other friends. She never felt sorry for her, but Jackie always had a place in her heart for Dindy. Dindy spent a lot of her time reading and the rest of her time in constant pain. The reading took her mind away from her reality and transported her to her fantasy immersion.

After a quick warm up in the station, Jackie and Nick continued down the stairs to the street. As they reached the bottom she saw the newsstand and told her brother that she wanted to go in to get Dindy something for her birthday the next day. Nick thought it was OK as long as she didn't spend too much time and got him something with her 50 cents! Jackie happily agreed.

As they entered the door creaked as if it hadn't been oiled in a century. The wooden boards squeaked under her Buster Brown's as she scanned the store. There were lots of Hot Wheels, and other tin cars, lots of candy, newspapers and a rack wall full of comic books. She went to the comics wall and looked over the titles. Immediately she saw Millie the Model 120. After scanning a little more she passed over the Green Lantern, Fantastic Fours and even all the Superman books that were there - none of them could she relate to Dindy. She saw a new title she had never seen before hanging from a clothes pin above the comics wall. She called over Nick who was browsing a crime novel to take it down for her. He handed over to her Daredevil #1. She'd never seen nor know anything about this comic - it must be new! She read it cover to cover sitting on the floor and was so inspired by it - she could relate Dindy overcoming her challenges the same way that Daredevil/Matt Murdock overcame his handicap - by never letting anything stop them from doing it all. She thought this would be perfect for Dindy.

She brought the two comics to the counter and asked the clerk for a nickel's worth of swedish fish and two packs of violets. She knew that Dindy loved swedish fish and violets, but she loved violets, too! 39 cents, said the clerk - at that time Nick protested and said, "Remember my Hershey's!" She begrudgingly relented at the price for stopping by and pulled a chocolate bar onto the stack. "That'll be 49 cents, miss", said the clerk. He took her two quarters and she watched as they went into the till. A dull wheat penny was handed back in return. The clerk put the comics and candy into a bag and handed them to Jackie.

Jackie returned home and immediately began preparing Dindy's present. She took the two comics and wrote on the back with a pencil 1/4 on the Mille, 2/4 on the Daredevil, 3/4 on the bag of swedish fish (that she had emptied and kept half for herself), and 4/4 on the pack of violets. 4 presents will make Dindy very happy. It certainly made Jackie happy - her heart felt warm on that cold February afternoon, so many years ago.

The year is 2012 and the relatives of Cynthia Manning are returning from her funeral. Her lifelong friend Jackie was there when Dindy passed away. She suffered for many long years, but none of them were focused on her handicap, but on her achievements. Dindy became an architect and married young. She loved to drive and drove the local traffic police crazy because she would use the "polio card" whenever it was to her advantage with them. Dindy treasured her friendship with Jackie and saved every little scrap that she had ever received. She had a tomato box full of books, notes, comics, paper bags, wrapping paper, candy wrappers, and cards that she returned to every time she felt a little "blue".

Dindy always thanked Jackie for the one thing she treasured most of all - the Daredevil #1 with the 2/4 written on the back. It was a constant reminder for her, from that cold February day in 1964 to the last day of her life, that one can always overcome the odds - that nothing is impossible if one tries with a sincere heart. Whoever holds that book again, may they also be reminded that there is achievement over handicap, always.

It was a crisp February afternoon in 1964 Brooklyn when Jackie got off the J train at the Cleveland Avenue station. She's returning home after spending the morning with Nana Gayle in her Queens apartment. After stepping off the train and allowing the small crowd to dissipate, she removed her mittens to expose a shiny new quarter in each palm of her hand. The cold air shocked her small fingers and as she exposed the metal to the air a small mist of steam rose from her warm, sweaty palms. The coins were a reward from her elderly grandmother for "being such a big helper". Her older brother nudged her along so they could leave the elevated and exposed platform and go down to the warmth of the station.

She had thought of how to spend her "fifty whole cents" since she tucked them into her mittens 12 stops ago. She could buy a week's worth of goldfish and Hershey's bars, or maybe a few suckers that she could share with her brother Nick, or even a matinee ticket to see Mary Poppins! But her mind quickly drifted to her friend Cynthia. Dindy, as she called her, has been her neighbor and good friend for most of her 8 years. But Dindy could not go out and play as all the other children because she had contracted polio when she was 3 years old. Even though both were vaccinated, Dindy succomed to the virus and it caused her limbs to be weak. Dindy was, as her parents put it, "fragile". She was fortunate that she didn't need an iron lung to breathe but she needed help to get around. Jackie never saw Dindy as handicapped, only as different - the same different that she saw about her other friends. She never felt sorry for her, but Jackie always had a place in her heart for Dindy. Dindy spent a lot of her time reading and the rest of her time in constant pain. The reading took her mind away from her reality and transported her to her fantasy immersion.

After a quick warm up in the station, Jackie and Nick continued down the stairs to the street. As they reached the bottom she saw the newsstand and told her brother that she wanted to go in to get Dindy something for her birthday the next day. Nick thought it was OK as long as she didn't spend too much time and got him something with her 50 cents! Jackie happily agreed.

As they entered door creaked as if it hadn't been oiled in a century. The wooden boards squeaked under her Buster Brown's as she scanned the store. There were lots of Hot Wheels, and other tin cars, lots of candy, newspapers and a rack wall full of comic books. She went to the comics wall and looked over the titles. Immediately she saw Millie the Model 120. After scanning a little more she passed over the Green Lantern, Fantastic Fours and even all the Superman books that were there - none of them could she relate to Dindy. She saw a new title she had never seen before hanging from a clothes pin above the comics wall. She called over Nick who was browsing a crime novel to take it down for her. He handed over to her Daredevil #1. She'd never seen nor know anything about this comic - it must be new! She read it cover to cover sitting on the floor and was so inspired by it - she could relate Dindy overcoming her challenges the same way that Daredevil/Matt Murdock overcame his handicap - by never letting anything stop them from doing it all. She thought this would be perfect for Dindy.

She brought the two comics to the counter and asked the clerk for a nickel's worth of swedish fish and two packs of violets. She knew that Dindy loved swedish fish and violets, but she loved violets, too! 39 cents, said the clerk - at that time Nick protested and said, "Remember my Hershey's!" She begrudgingly relented at the price for stopping by and pulled a chocolate bar onto the stack. "That'll be 49 cents, miss", said the clerk. He took her two quarters and she watched as they went into the till. A dull wheat penny was handed back in return. The clerk put the comics and candy into a bag and handed them to Jackie.

Jackie returned home and immediately began preparing Dindy's present. She took the two comics and wrote on the back with a pencil 1/4 on the Mille, 2/4 on the Daredevil, 3/4 on the bag of swedish fish (that she had emptied and kept half for herself), and 4/4 on the pack of violets. 4 presents will make Dindy very happy. It certainly made Jackie happy - her heart felt warm on that cold February afternoon, so many years ago.

The year is 2012 and the relatives of Cynthia Manning are returning from her funeral. Her lifelong friend Jackie was there when Dindy passed away. She suffered for many long years, but none of them were focused on her handicap, but on her achievements. Dindy became an architect and married young. She loved to drive and drove the local traffic police crazy because she would use the "polio card" whenever it was to her advantage with them. Dindy treasured her friendship with Jackie and saved every little scrap that she had ever received. She had a tomato box full of books, notes, comics, paper bags, wrapping paper, candy wrappers, and cards that she returned to every time she felt a little "blue".

Dindy always thanked Jackie for the one thing she treasured most of all - the Daredevil #1 with the 2/4 written on the back. It was a constant reminder for her, from that cold February day in 1964 to the last day of her life, that one can always overcome the odds - that nothing is impossible if one tries with a sincere heart. Whoever holds that book again, may they also be reminded that there is achievement over handicap, always.

I'm not going to lie...I ABSOLUTELY got a little :( reading this. If you threw in a sick dog or something, I would have been downright :cry:

Thank you! Just an absolutely, great story!!! With miraclemet's story we had young :luhv: this story was :( and :foryou: .

BRAVO!!! :golfclap: