• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

Just wanted to float an idea out there... Marvel is making a Big Hero 6 flick. Any interest / thought on those books moving a bit?

500101-sunfire___big_hero_6_1.jpg

539115-0004.jpg

(Sorry, I know not silver age but since we were on the investment topic I thought I'd put it out there)

When I read this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/disneys-first-animated-marvel-film-big-hero-6-set-for-november-2014/#more-175123

I actually thought about picking up a copy. The trailer looks interesting, even if it's only a teaser.

I read the article as well.

What about it made you think buying the comic would be a good investment?

I see multiple references to the fact that it is a little known team, even in the comic world...

Not necessarily as an investment -- to read -- knowing a major motion picture company thought enough of the source material to put the resources behind a film production was enough to garner my interest.

That being said, it will probably get a bump from the exposure. Will it offer the same return a WD did? No. Will it be enough pay for your reading pleasure and a cup of coffee? Probably. But who knows? It could be the next Despicable Me or Cars franchise!

Personally, I don't see FF #1 or Avengers #1 as undervalued at all. I don't really like the "1st team appearance" books as all of those characters have already appeared in hundreds of other books. So they decided to team up... meh

And the prices on FF#1 are already through the roof. I can see some appreciation if they ever do a GOOD FF movie, but I certainly don't think it's undervalued at this point.

You want to talk undervalued with investment potential...look at SA DC 1st appearance books. Once DC gets their act together (holding out hope) and starts producing quality Marvel-esque movies, some of those books will skyrocket. I think the general consensus is that they are rarer than their Marvel counterparts. Tec #225, Bats #121, Bats #181, Action #242, Superboy #68, etc. all come to mind.

The problem with DC though is that once you get outside of Superman and Batman, the public knowledge of the characters drops off a cliff! Wonder Woman, yes...Flash, maybe...Green Lantern, probably not... could the same have been said for Iron Man and Thor prior to their movies?

DC REALLY needs to pull together a badass Justice League movie and then follow it up with individual movies, the exact opposite approach that Marvel took.

Big part of the problem is that DC superheroes are hokey and corny. Wonder Woman? Really? Flash? I can't even imagine a stand-alone Flash movie being any good. Granted, I thought a Thor movie would be unbelievably lame but it wasn't bad. It still doesn't make me ever want to own JIM83, though.

At any rate, I think Green Lantern does have some mainstream, pop culture cachet. The Green Lantern movie really could've been something special. But Warner managed to make that movie as cornballish as a superhero movie ever could be. Problem there is Marvel could beat DC to the punch with an awesome Nova movie.

For whatever reason, I've always loved GL. And I've been wanting to own a copy of SC22 for years now. Such an awesome cover. :cloud9:

Personally, I don't see FF #1 or Avengers #1 as undervalued at all. I don't really like the "1st team appearance" books as all of those characters have already appeared in hundreds of other books. So they decided to team up... meh

And the prices on FF#1 are already through the roof. I can see some appreciation if they ever do a GOOD FF movie, but I certainly don't think it's undervalued at this point.

You want to talk undervalued with investment potential...look at SA DC 1st appearance books. Once DC gets their act together (holding out hope) and starts producing quality Marvel-esque movies, some of those books will skyrocket. I think the general consensus is that they are rarer than their Marvel counterparts. Tec #225, Bats #121, Bats #181, Action #242, Superboy #68, etc. all come to mind.

The problem with DC though is that once you get outside of Superman and Batman, the public knowledge of the characters drops off a cliff! Wonder Woman, yes...Flash, maybe...Green Lantern, probably not... could the same have been said for Iron Man and Thor prior to their movies?

DC REALLY needs to pull together a badass Justice League movie and then follow it up with individual movies, the exact opposite approach that Marvel took.

Big part of the problem is that DC superheroes are hokey and corny. Wonder Woman? Really? Flash? I can't even imagine a stand-alone Flash movie being any good. Granted, I thought a Thor movie would be unbelievably lame but it wasn't bad. It still doesn't make me ever want to own JIM83, though.

At any rate, I think Green Lantern does have some mainstream, pop culture cachet. The Green Lantern movie really could've been something special. But Warner managed to make that movie as cornballish as a superhero movie ever could be. Problem there is Marvel could beat DC to the punch with an awesome Nova movie.

For whatever reason, I've always loved GL. And I've been wanting to own a copy of SC22 for years now. Such an awesome cover. :cloud9:

Done right, I can imagine an amazing Flash movie.

First, just because it gets published that it is coming and there are early screen shots, does not mean it will happen. Disney or otherwise.

Just because they cast actors and their acting is filmed and release date is announced and movie theaters sell tickets does not mean it will happen...

It is way ahead of those other movies you mentioned and as likely as Dr Strange until a week ago

First, just because it gets published that it is coming and there are early screen shots, does not mean it will happen. Disney or otherwise.

Just because they cast actors and their acting is filmed and release date is announced and movie theaters sell tickets does not mean it will happen...

It is way ahead of those other movies you mentioned and as likely as Dr Strange until a week ago

I agree, movies can go into production and end up straight to video or cancelled as well. My argument was that movies (with live people) in general have a better shot at influencing comic pricing than a cartoon (previously provided examples excluded).

ALL movie studios (large, small and otherwise) have failed pictures and productions. - every year.

I would put this cartoon in the same realm as a Dr. Strange movie - i.e. NOT going to make a difference in the price of the/a book long term. To your point, a cartoon is likely to be more successful than a Strange movie, but that doesn't mean it will create demand for a modern comic other than a bubble.

In the past movie technology could not do a b- Lister like Dr Strange justice... That has changed, he is a great character and if harry potter can rake it in so can Dr strange ! If the first movie or his tie-ins are successful, i believe you can move him to the A-list.

Disney owning marvel is an entirely different ball game ! The value of his key books will rocket and never come back down . His early books are semi rare mid sixty's. I personally like the long term potential of Disney owning these great characters.

There someday down the road with be a Marvel only theme park added to the Disney property and these characters will be imbedded forever. BUY NOW !

With or with-out the movie hype ! just my opinion.

I thought that as well, but after watching the Man of Steel I now believe Marvel has serious competion,so long as Goyer,Zach Synder ,and Nolan have a say in making DC movies.

In the past movie technology could not do a b- Lister like Dr Strange justice... That has changed, he is a great character and if harry potter can rake it in so can Dr strange ! If the first movie or his tie-ins are successful, i believe you can move him to the A-list.

Disney owning marvel is an entirely different ball game ! The value of his key books will rocket and never come back down . His early books are semi rare mid sixty's. I personally like the long term potential of Disney owning these great characters.

There someday down the road with be a Marvel only theme park added to the Disney property and these characters will be imbedded forever. BUY NOW !

It sounds like a lot of your opinion is based on being a Dr. Strange fan.

My counter-argument is that most of the major successful movies are based on comic book characters that were already A-list. Not a perfect argument, but it is fairly accurate. I agree DS is a cool character, but comparing him to Harry Potter is like comparing Bloodstorm to Edward Cullen - not in the same league of international awareness and popularity.

I do agree that Disney owning Marvel will uniquely drive comic values in that genre provided that they can continue to capitalize with strong Movie (or TV as well) franchises. Not sure that applies to all "B" list or worse heroes, but it does give them a leg up on DC for sure.

My counter-argument is that most of the major successful movies are based on comic book characters that were already A-list. Not a perfect argument, but it is fairly accurate. I agree DS is a cool character, but comparing him to Harry Potter is like comparing Bloodstorm to Edward Cullen - not in the same league of international awareness and popularity.

I do agree that Disney owning Marvel will uniquely drive comic values in that genre provided that they can continue to capitalize with strong Movie (or TV as well) franchises. Not sure that applies to all "B" list or worse heroes, but it does give them a leg up on DC for sure.

Disney is putting marvel characters in all there locations world wide Starting in Japan as we speak. Florida will be last. (Universal deal) I think down the road there will be a bigger international presence. And the Harry potter reference was pertaining to peoples love of mages... gandolf , Merlin, Potter ect..... Time will tell the tale.

I agree with you point on the Movies and A list characters but If Disney in-grains Marvels characters thru there parks, Look out. 10 years from now these books are going to be GOLD. (that's what the point to this thread was?.)

I love most SA books.

Disney is putting marvel characters in all there locations world wide Starting in Japan as we speak. Florida will be last. (Universal deal) I think down the road there will be a bigger international presence. And the Harry potter reference was pertaining to peoples love of mages... gandolf , Merlin, Potter ect..... Time will tell the tale.

I agree with you point on the Movies and A list characters but If Disney in-grains Marvels characters thru there parks, Look out. 10 years from now these books are going to be GOLD. (that's what the point to this thread was?.)

I love most SA books.

I hope you are right!

I also love SA books!

I love most SA books.

I hope you are right!

I also love SA books!

Who knows for sure. Just an Opinion. Time machine would be great !

I love most SA books.

I hope you are right!

I also love SA books!

Who knows for sure. Just an Opinion. Time machine would be great !

I think Harry Potter was so successful because of the mass appeal to children and adults alike. Children could relate as young kids that wished they were special and could do magic. Adults liked it because the story was intriguing and well written.

If Dr. Strange is done right, it won't appeal to children. At least I hope it won't!

I'm not so sure about all the love for ST 110, DS is never going to have the same mainstream appeal that the traditional superheros have, and more relevant to this thread, the value of this book has already nearly doubled in the last year or two. I'd say it was a great investment book last year before prices exploded due to the movie rumors/hype, but I don't know about it at today's market valuation, let's see if these prices loosen up a bunch of copies into the market. hm

I'm not so sure about all the love for ST 110, DS is never going to have the same mainstream appeal that the traditional superheros have, and more relevant to this thread, the value of this book has already nearly doubled in the last year or two. I'd say it was a great investment book last year before prices exploded due to the movie rumors/hype, but I don't know about it at today's market valuation, let's see if these prices loosen up a bunch of copies into the market. hm

(thumbs u

Couldn't agree more with you. The pre-movie hype is the lift. After that, dump it.

If only Marvel had teamed up Capt America w Fury in ST run in place of Human Torch and DocS.

I love most SA books.

I hope you are right!

I also love SA books!

You got to think also that these SA Marvel characters will all have the rule of 25 factor working for them in the future.

Millions of new people have been introduced to the Marvel characters this decade. I don`t know how many times I have seen the Marvel characters on the fx and Spike channels.

These Marvel characters keep getting introduced to a whole new audience.

A strong Dr Strange movie will give ST110 the kind of appeal no one ever thought possible. The rumor has been that Marvel/Kevin Feige wants to groom Strange as the next Iron Man-caliber franchise.

"What I can say is that Strange is being groomed to be the next Iron Man. The studio needs a new 'hub' character going into Phase 3 and beyond, as there is audience fatigue, aging stars and a need to move from Tony Stark/Iron Man as a 'hub' for films."

http://io9.com/the-doctor-strange-rumors-get-bigger-and-crazier-580142428

A CGC 6.0 WP just sold for $2000 this past weekend. Back in December 2012, you couldn't give 6.0s away for $900. A 110% increase in six months? I'll take that any day of the week! The ST110 train is steaming ahead with no signs of slowing down. :banana:

To me, ST110 is still a very strong buy.

It's crazy how a movie could change everything. I am just waiting on the day they announce a flash movie. Great actors and a great director. Would it push AF15 out of the triumphant spot? Showcase 4 is rarer and if a very good film were to be made that would be impressive.

It's crazy how a movie could change everything. I am just waiting on the day they announce a flash movie. Great actors and a great director. Would it push AF15 out of the triumphant spot? Showcase 4 is rarer and if a very good film were to be made that would be impressive.

My SC 4 5.5 and 6.0 are awaiting that day as well.