• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

All this talk about B&B 28, ST 110, TTA 27, etc has me thinking that Adventure 247 is flying under most people's radar and perhaps now would be a great time to buy...before the movie hype abounds.

Good point rr: Adventure #247. I know that they sell for over guide locally, when they show up. That is the bigger question as we do not see them up here.......

All this talk about B&B 28, ST 110, TTA 27, etc has me thinking that Adventure 247 is flying under most people's radar and perhaps now would be a great time to buy...before the movie hype abounds.

I've seen no talk of a LoSH movie.

Legion seems to me too convoluted. If they can't get JLA going, how in the hell can they do a decent LoSH movie?

Why wouldn't B&B 28 be <= Avengers 1? Same premise. I guess you could argue greater cultural significance for the JLA but you certainly can't argue on movies.

GPA on a 7.0 Avengers 1 is ~$6k and it is almost $10k for B&B 28.

If anything, Avengers 1 is undervalued (still)

Far be it for me to defend B&B #28, but...

There are 226 Avengers #1's that are graded 7.0 or above.

There are 57 B&B #28's that are graded 7.0 or above.

Thence the difference.

Legion seems to me too convoluted. If they can't get JLA going, how in the hell can they do a decent LoSH movie?

Why wouldn't B&B 28 be <= Avengers 1? Same premise. I guess you could argue greater cultural significance for the JLA but you certainly can't argue on movies.

Far be it for me to defend B&B #28, but...

There are 226 Avengers #1's that are graded 7.0 or above.

There are 57 B&B #t28's that are graded 7.0 or above.

Thence the difference.

Good point. At 4.0 the difference nearly disappears.

Alright I'll play. This is only my opinion and I am not necessarily buying or even own these books. I actually think some of the 'keys' are overvalued due to increased constant movie exposure. Just an opinion.

I like:

Strange Tales 135

Iron Man 1 (I don't know any 'newbie' collectors that don't want this book and I meet a lot at antique conventions and the like)

Tales of Suspense 52 and 53 (both undervalued in my opinion)

FF 48 and 52 (yes, there are a million copies of 48, but it is in demand)

Avengers 57

Just a few I like...controversial list, but everyone always names the mega keys.

Out of curiosity, why TOS 52 and 53?

Not a lot of fanfare for the Black Widow, whom I happen to like. Compared to the spike TOS 57 experienced, I really consider these two issues to be sleepers. In the interest of full disclosure, I also own both in 9.2 or higher.

Journey into Mystery are all way under valued,83 to 89 should be a good buy now.

Yes I do believe Avengers 1 is still under valued.

Believe it or not,but I still think Hulk #1's are under valued.

1st appearance of Starro... :gossip:

Doesn't matter if they actually produce the movie...just talk about it, or perhaps being optioned is all it will take to make prices on this book soar. Like I said, its still under the radar.

Doesn't matter if they actually produce the movie...just talk about it, or perhaps being optioned is all it will take to make prices on this book soar. Like I said, its still under the radar.

Can you provide a quote from a studio or article that substantiates this?

Just wanted to float an idea out there... Marvel is making a Big Hero 6 flick. Any interest / thought on those books moving a bit?

500101-sunfire___big_hero_6_1.jpg

539115-0004.jpg

(Sorry, I know not silver age but since we were on the investment topic I thought I'd put it out there)

I thought that was only true of moderns. (shrug)

I thought that was only true of moderns. (shrug)

I am not sure if this is true at all. Or at least, this is definitely not true in all cases.

hm

Just wanted to float an idea out there... Marvel is making a Big Hero 6 flick. Any interest / thought on those books moving a bit?

539115-0004.jpg

(Sorry, I know not silver age but since we were on the investment topic I thought I'd put it out there)

False, Marvel is not going to make a Big Hero 6 flick any sooner than they are going to make other random team-up movies (NextWave, Heroes for Hire, Agents of Atlas, etc). There is still more money to be made on well established characters, team-ups and franchises before they will chance a big screen debut of something like Big Hero 6.

Honestly, where do people get this ? Just because some random site gets a random quote that a movie is being made does not make it so. In fact, the vast majority of "committed movies' die long before being made. Especially when they include abstract team-ups of minor characters.

Justice League = well known team-up that has a solid chance at a movie. However, there still isn't any guarantee it will happen!

That is all.

Journey into Mystery are all way under valued,83 to 89 should be a good buy now.

Agreed:

JIM 83

Avengers 1

BOTH undervalued.

Partially Agree:

Hulk 1

Plenty room to grow, not sure if it is "under-valued" per se. I would add FF1 to this list as well.

False, Marvel is not going to make a Big Hero 6 flick any sooner than they are going to make other random team-up movies (NextWave, Heroes for Hire, Agents of Atlas, etc). There is still more money to be made on well established characters, team-ups and franchises before they will chance a big screen debut of something like Big Hero 6.

Honestly, where do people get this ? Just because some random site gets a random quote that a movie is being made does not make it so. In fact, the vast majority of "committed movies' die long before being made. Especially when they include abstract team-ups of minor characters.

Justice League = well known team-up that has a solid chance at a movie. However, there still isn't any guarantee it will happen!

That is all.

Is The Walt Disney Company a random website with a random quote?

Walt Disney Animation Studios announced Big Hero 6, a new CG-animated feature hitting theaters in 3D November 7, 2014! Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring comic-book style action, the film will follow brilliant robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who finds himself in the grips of a criminal plot that threatens to destroy the fast-paced, high-tech city of San Fransokyo. With the help of his closest companion — a robot named Baymax — Hiro joins forces with a reluctant team of first-time crime fighters on a mission to save their city

That is all.

Is The Walt Disney Company a random website with a random quote?

Walt Disney Animation Studios announced Big Hero 6, a new CG-animated feature hitting theaters in 3D November 7, 2014! Inspired by the Marvel comics of the same name, and featuring comic-book style action, the film will follow brilliant robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada, who finds himself in the grips of a criminal plot that threatens to destroy the fast-paced, high-tech city of San Fransokyo. With the help of his closest companion — a robot named Baymax — Hiro joins forces with a reluctant team of first-time crime fighters on a mission to save their city

First, just because it gets published that it is coming and there are early screen shots, does not mean it will happen. Disney or otherwise.

Second, it is still a stretch that a little known team cartoon movie is going to sky rocket the values of a modern comic. It takes something like a full on acclaimed TV series or something like it to work (i.e. Walking Dead) - not just one cartoon. Even then, it is usually just a HUGE bubble. Not a smart investment beyond quick flipping.

Third, let's distinguish between cartoons and movies. Movies (with live actors) change the trajectory of collectibles, cartoons do not (obvious exception would be characters that are ONLY cartoons - i.e. Mickey Mouse or Archie). If prices spiked for every cartoon movie that is released every mainstream hero book would be worth thousands.

- There are SOME exceptions to this, but generally it is true.

Agreed:

JIM 83

Avengers 1

BOTH undervalued.

Partially Agree:

Hulk 1

Plenty room to grow, not sure if it is "under-valued" per se. I would add FF1 to this list as well.

Personally, I don't see FF #1 or Avengers #1 as undervalued at all. I don't really like the "1st team appearance" books as all of those characters have already appeared in hundreds of other books. So they decided to team up... meh

And the prices on FF#1 are already through the roof. I can see some appreciation if they ever do a GOOD FF movie, but I certainly don't think it's undervalued at this point.

You want to talk undervalued with investment potential...look at SA DC 1st appearance books. Once DC gets their act together (holding out hope) and starts producing quality Marvel-esque movies, some of those books will skyrocket. I think the general consensus is that they are rarer than their Marvel counterparts. Tec #225, Bats #121, Bats #181, Action #242, Superboy #68, etc. all come to mind.

The problem with DC though is that once you get outside of Superman and Batman, the public knowledge of the characters drops off a cliff! Wonder Woman, yes...Flash, maybe...Green Lantern, probably not... could the same have been said for Iron Man and Thor prior to their movies?

DC REALLY needs to pull together a badass Justice League movie and then follow it up with individual movies, the exact opposite approach that Marvel took.

539115-0004.jpg

When I read this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/disneys-first-animated-marvel-film-big-hero-6-set-for-november-2014/#more-175123

I actually thought about picking up a copy. The trailer looks interesting, even if it's only a teaser.

539115-0004.jpg

When I read this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/disneys-first-animated-marvel-film-big-hero-6-set-for-november-2014/#more-175123

I actually thought about picking up a copy. The trailer looks interesting, even if it's only a teaser.

I read the article as well.

What about it made you think buying the comic would be a good investment?

I see multiple references to the fact that it is a little known team, even in the comic world...