• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Ten Silver Age Investment Comics of 2013

318 posts in this topic

My picks include:

ASM 2 (1st Vulture) - Spiderman's running out of villains for the next films

ASM 15 (1st Kraven) - Ditto

Avengers 57 (1st Vision)--think Joss Whedon will have him make at least a cameo appearance in Avengers 2 or 3.

And not Silver Age, and it pains me to say it, but the common-as-dirt Marvel Star Wars # 1. Buy 10-20 copies now, because by 2018 they'll actually be expensive.

It's crazy how a movie could change everything. I am just waiting on the day they announce a flash movie. Great actors and a great director. Would it push AF15 out of the triumphant spot? Showcase 4 is rarer and if a very good film were to be made that would be impressive.

:signfunny:

It's crazy how a movie could change everything. I am just waiting on the day they announce a flash movie. Great actors and a great director. Would it push AF15 out of the triumphant spot? Showcase 4 is rarer and if a very good film were to be made that would be impressive.

:signfunny:

+1

No SA book will knock AF#15 out of its spot. It's (arguably) the 3rd biggest book in the entire hobby.

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

I think ST 111 & 115 are being overlooked, especially 111. I think they both have cool covers (better than 110).

115 has SO many reasons to like it:

1) 4th appearance of Dr Strange

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

3) 2nd appearance of Sandman (cool villian AND he's had a movie appearance).

4) Brief origin of Sandman.

5) SUPER EARLY Spiderman appearance. This comic came out at the same time as Spiderman 7 to put it in perspective.

6) One of the 1st Spiderman x-overs.

I think this book will be HOT HOT HOT soon. Buy em up boys.

111 should start to heat up too.

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

I think ST 111 & 115 are being overlooked, especially 111. I think they both have cool covers (better than 110).

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

5) SUPER EARLY Spiderman appearance. This comic came out at the same time as Spiderman 7 to put it in perspective.

Yeah, but Dr. Strange sucks!

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

Gadzooks, so much evidence!!!!

:whatev:

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

Yeah, but Dr. Strange sucks!

:roflmao: that is a little mean...

Didn't you hear, he is "HOT HOT HOT!"

okay, so was that...

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

I've been searching for a 110,115 but my pockets have me on hold right now. I've got a good 111. Ff 53 seems to be one that's overlooked big time as is dr.strange 169(1) and marvel premiere 3.

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

I am not saying you are wrong about ST115 increasing in value, but let's look at what makes a book "hot" and compare to your points.

1) a character 4th appearance - no

2) character origin - rarely

3) character 2nd appearance - sometimes

4) brief character origin - no

5) super early appearance - rarely

6) early x-over - rarely

I just don't see it. It is a cool cover for sure and I hear rumblings that it is an "undervalued book" but I just don't see it taking off.

Hope I am wrong.

I have been lurking on this thread since the beginning and I think it is time for me to post a question.

I am new to the silver age. I am sure I have random titles someone, but my first real purchases were this past week when I bought two low grade copies for Fantastic Four #52. I am pretty sure a lot of people are speculating on Black Panther, but what about Avengers #52? Isn't that when he joined the Avengers and wouldn't that show some growth if he was in one of the Avengers movies?

I think Avengers 52 is pretty low on the list of priorities among most collectors, except perhaps for diehard BP fans.

One book often overlooked for Kirby's Black Panther 1 is Jungle Action #5, which is in actuality, Black Panther 1, the way Dr Strange 169, Hulk 102 and Cap 100 are each character's respective #1s. Jungle Action #5, admittedly a Bronze book, never gets mentioned. Instead people chase after the drek that is BP#1. :)

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

I am not saying you are wrong about ST115 increasing in value, but let's look at what makes a book "hot" and compare to your points.

6) early x-over - rarely

I just don't see it. It is a cool cover for sure and I hear rumblings that it is an "undervalued book" but I just don't see it taking off.

Hope I am wrong.

As much as I dislike Dr. Strange, I think you are incorrect on some of your points regarding what makes a book 'hot'

1) while a 4th appearance is certainly not as hot as a characters' 1st appearance, it is still something of note and worth more than surrounding issues without that characters appearance. The first 20 or so Legion appearances are noted in the Guide and clearly indicate their early appearances are worth more than issues without them. Same can be said for other characters such as Kingpin, Punisher, etc

2) This is simply contrary to the evidence at hand.

3) Should read most of the time, not sometimes, as you had indicated.

4) Depends on the character. Early origins (brief or otherwise) do tend to bring increased prices

5) & 6) If we're talking early Silver Age Marvels, I would disagree with you as the early x-overs & appearences do bring make the books more desirable

Ff 52,53

St 110,111,115

2) Origin of Dr Strange.

6) early x-over - rarely

Hope I am wrong.

As much as I dislike Dr. Strange, I think you are incorrect on some of your points regarding what makes a book 'hot'

1) while a 4th appearance is certainly not as hot as a characters' 1st appearance, it is still something of note and worth more than surrounding issues without that characters appearance. The first 20 or so Legion appearances are noted in the Guide and clearly indicate their early appearances are worth more than issues without them. Same can be said for other characters such as Kingpin, Punisher, etc

2) This is simply contrary to the evidence at hand.

3) Should read most of the time, not sometimes, as you had indicated.

4) Depends on the character. Early origins (brief or otherwise) do tend to bring increased prices

5) & 6) If we're talking early Silver Age Marvels, I would disagree with you as the early x-overs & appearences do bring make the books more desirable

I too disagree with Zuulioso.

1) "4th appearance" is not a huge bump in price, but it is definitely a small bump in price.

2) Zuulioso, do you really think an "Origin" issue does not give a comic a bump? You are wrong.

3) 2nd appearance of Sandman is not a huge bump, but it's worth noting.

4) "brief Origin" of Sandman..... again, not huge, but worth noting.

5) Super early appearance (possibly tied for 8th) of the most iconic and important superhero of a generation (Spiderman).... come on, just look at the way all of Superman's early appearances have shot up in price.

6) "early Spidey x-over" I know this in not the 1st Spidey x-over, but it might be #2. I think that makes it desirable.

I guess the original point I was trying to make for this comic is this: Most people think of ST115 as just the "Origin of Dr Strange", but the comic has SO much more to offer. It's kind of a Perfect Storm of other important things.

Strange Tales Annual #2

- fourth Spidey appearance (according to publication date) and first crossover

- along with FF Annual #1, the first Marvel superhero annual

- Kirby Spiderman art

- scarce in ultra high grade - good luck finding a sweet copy without the glue rippling on the cover (which CGC inexplicably gives a pass to)

- way underpriced for a long time at a small fraction of the ASM issues of the day

One other thing about ST 115 is that unlike just about every other Marvel hero, Dr. Strange's origin was not told in his first appearance. So there isn't that kind of breakdown for other character like Iron Man or Thor or whatever. But ST 115 is the first time Strange's origin is told. So for me, I think it has more significance than many other issues with the origin designation, because most of those say "origin retold." And even retellings get a price bump.

Having said all that, I'm not sure ST 115 is going to take off, I tend to think there are other books more likely to get hot. But if it did take off, it wouldn't surprise me. Especially if his origin becomes a major part of the movie.

What a great thread!! Thanks to all who've contributed - such great perspective.

Here's my list - no particular order:

Batman 121

Batman 139

Action 242

G.I. Combat 68

Our Army at War 81

Sgt. Fury 13

ASM 28

Vampirella 3

Zap 0

Fantastic Four 5

Strange Tales Annual #2

- fourth Spidey appearance (according to publication date) and first crossover

- along with FF Annual #1, the first Marvel superhero annual

- Kirby Spiderman art

- scarce in ultra high grade - good luck finding a sweet copy without the glue rippling on the cover (which CGC inexplicably gives a pass to)

- way underpriced for a long time at a small fraction of the ASM issues of the day

Agree with everything you stated above. A wonderful book with so much going for it, yet it has been woefully underappreciated for so many years.