• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay "Make Offer" question

65 posts in this topic

I'm wondering what folks think constitutes a "low ball" offer when a seller is accepting offers on ebay.

For example let's say a book (or any item for that matter) is listed as "Buy it Now" for $300 and let's further assume that this price isn't outlandish and the seller is also taking offers. Would you think that an offer of $250 would generally be seen as a reasonable first shot or is that too low??

Sometimes I get an automated response accepting or declining my offer. On other occasions, I hear nothing and am concerned that the sellers think I'm insulting them.

So, given the above scenario what's your opinion of how much of a proposed discount from the wouldbe buyer would be too much?

Thanks...Harry

I would say 17% off of the asking price is not insulting, UNLESS it is already WAAAY below FMV.

Thanks for the quick opinions.

I would also think that 17-20% would seem acceptable as a first salvo, especially since the seller can simply counteroffer. One must assume that the seller is willing to let it go for less than his "Buy it Now" price or there'd be no sense in taking offers.

I put something up yesterday on a whim for $499.99 fully ready to accept $200 or thereabouts.

Someone offered me $450 an hour later and I took it.

Everyones different, every situations different and every item is different.

I generally buld in 10-15% wiggle room when listing make offer. Depending on the item, how much I have in it, the current FMV and how long it's been listed, I've wiggled even more.

I put something up yesterday on a whim for $499.99 fully ready to accept $200 or thereabouts.

Someone offered me $450 an hour later and I took it.

Everyones different, every situations different and every item is different.

Thanks for posting this. One man's lowball is another's reasonable offer.

We can't go around making blanket statements that 50% off the asking price is insulting. It varies on the book. It varies on the seller. It varies on the buyer.

I'm wondering what folks think constitutes a "low ball" offer when a seller is accepting offers on ebay.

For example let's say a book (or any item for that matter) is listed as "Buy it Now" for $300 and let's further assume that this price isn't outlandish and the seller is also taking offers. Would you think that an offer of $250 would generally be seen as a reasonable first shot or is that too low??

Sometimes I get an automated response accepting or declining my offer. On other occasions, I hear nothing and am concerned that the sellers think I'm insulting them.

So, given the above scenario what's your opinion of how much of a proposed discount from the wouldbe buyer would be too much?

Thanks...Harry

I think it's totally fair with the understanding that there may be haggling.

I would not tie a no-answer on an offer to an insulted seller.

The way it usually goes for me when I get an offer lower than I want to take is I let it ride. I have 48 hours to respond and the listing will show that offers have been made. So I just wait for more possible offers.

By the time that 2 days passes, assuming no other activity, I have probably forgotten about the original offer and it expires. As a buyer you should just make a slightly higher offer if you are still interested.

IMHO.

Yeah, I was really busy with work one week and did not check my ebay listings for two days. Someone offered me a price on something that I wish I had taken.

Sometimes... things happen

Depends on FMV for me. There's a book I want listed at like $1500. Gpa is like $800 and I can see he got it a few years ago for $600 so I don't feel like my $850 offer is lowball. Apparently he disagrees though

We should all just be okay with sometimes insulting people and sometimes being insulted. I also think sellers who complain about lowballers should stop. When you advertise OBO, anonymously to the entire planet, it can happen so just deal with it.

Even though it's frowned upon by Ebay, if I throw out an offer that is less than asking price, I usually insinuate that I would be open to "discussing it via email" hoping that the seller is savvy enough to know I mean "outside of Ebay".

We should all just be okay with sometimes insulting people and sometimes being insulted. I also think sellers who complain about lowballers should stop. When you advertise OBO, anonymously to the entire planet, it can happen so just deal with it.
^^