• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,029 posts in this topic

Thanks, Adam. I'll post some of my favorite Atlas covers (they're usually Everett or Heath) on that thread.

In the early 1960s, I fell in love with a "Little Black Box" that I saw in a gift shop on the Boardwalk in Ocean City MD. It had a lever on the top; once the lever was pushed, the box rocked back and forth and whirred for 5 or 10 seconds. Then, ominously, the box stopped rocking, and a little green hand emerged from under a door on top, pushed the lever back to its original "Off" position, and snapped back inside, leaving the box again silent and still.

When I saw this cover back then, I figured Stan Lee must have been inspired, as I was, by seeing this novelty.

My parents found this toy in a Spencer's mail-order catalog, and I got it for Christmas that year (1962, I believe).

jim74.jpg

838781-TOS18.jpg

838781-TOS18.jpg.629054dc60f51e9085ab39f236bf0a97.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Nice JIM 1, Collectorsaurus, and a classic Heath cover!

Another gem, Adam. Did you know that, back in the early 1960s, MMC was selling pre-heroes for 12c each through the mail? Around 1963, they increased the price to 20c @, and shortly thereafter, they were sold out.

tos9.jpg

Nice JIM 1, Collectorsaurus, and a classic Heath cover!

Another gem, Adam. Did you know that, back in the early 1960s, MMC was selling pre-heroes for 12c each through the mail? Around 1963, they increased the price to 20c @, and shortly thereafter, they were sold out.

tos9.jpg

Did not know that. Did they advertise the pre-heros through the other comics (FF etc)?

Love the TOS 9. I've always thought that it should be the official comic of LA as it seems like a smog monster.

This is not the highest-grade copy of this book that I've ever seen, but it displays the brightest colors. What a magnificent Everett covert!

If this doesn't belong in this thread because it's an Atlas, I will cease and desist posting such covers here.

jim5.jpg

You can always post it in the pre-code horror thread! - one of my favorite Atlas covers BTW - A lower grade copy was one of my earliest Atlas purchases after seeing the cover in the Gerber guide - I always figured it should be breakout book, but I see it still lists for less than issues 3 and 4 in the OS - screwy.gif

Thanks, rj. I've got the pre-code horror thread in my sights and will post scans there.

Marvel never advertised their pre-heroes, to the best of my knowledge. I had a short correspondence with the office secretary(?) whose name, I believe, was Nancy Murphy, for several months in 1962 and '63. I bought maybe two dozen issues before they sold out. I'm pretty sure I got the GOOM and GOOGAM Tales of Suspense issues from her, but I vividly recall, and still own, the oldest book I purchased, Strange Tales 26. (My original copy is far more tattered than the copy shown below.) My brother and I were amazed by the totally alien appearance of the book and its stories; no hulking Kirby monsters clad in shorts, no Ditko surprise-ending stories, and that cover!

I've often wondered if MMC sold all their back stock to Howard Rogofsky or somebody.

st26.jpg

Well, the Chicago ComicCon was a success. Picked up a lot of pre-hero, including several keys, which I'll post in my Con report.

But for now, here's one of the gems. It's lower grade (VG-ish) but a great book and one I needed for my collection. yay.gif

tta27.jpg

I need it in any grade possible. tongue.giffrown.gif

Yeah, me too. I tend to go for 6.0 or better but for this issue I'm happy to have a solid, attractive VG/VG+. I'll scan the others tonight.

I have a special issue to show you, Mica. A prototype of sorts.....

I need it in any grade possible. tongue.giffrown.gif

Yeah, me too. I tend to go for 6.0 or better but for this issue I'm happy to have a solid, attractive VG/VG+. I'll scan the others tonight.

I have a special issue to show you, Mica. A prototype of sorts.....

Could it be Thor? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Yeah definitely show us that book. Nice to me you at the show Rhino thumbsup2.gif

Excellent cover. There's a lot going on and the helmet is wild, but those shoes are geeky. What's that coming out of the ankle? confused.gif

The lone Earthman sure looks scrawny. Hope he can save the day. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif