• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,038 posts in this topic

I hadn't noticed this before, but these 2 books that were on the newstand at the same time + share the same issue number have the same red fading to orange fading to yellow backgrounds:

Cool! Good observation Rich! (thumbs u You can imagine some kid in '59 doin' a double take on that one...

Both Atlas and early Marvel coloring is pretty average, improving only once Marie Severin started to assist. There was web comparison of film posters noting a similar over-use of the orange fade background so it's back in vogue 50 years later.

Marvelous! :applause:

In keeping with the dark/black backgrounds, here's a recent upgrade:

tta675.jpg

Rich,

That is just a great group shot(s). Pre-hero issues have the best covers

ever IMHO. Now we just need a museum you can donate them to :grin:

so we can see them live. Well done!

btw, how long did it take to assemble them?

Rich,

That is just a great group shot(s). Pre-hero issues have the best covers

ever IMHO. Now we just need a museum you can donate them to :grin:

so we can see them live. Well done!

btw, how long did it take to assemble them?

Thanks Erik! (thumbs u About 5 years from start to "finish"(future upgrades, of course!).

Rich,

Is that TTA3 cgc 4.5 a White Mountain. The date looks very similar to some of

Adamstrange's books?

Andrew

Its not identified on the label as such, but that's an interesting question. The date is written right next to the issue # as they often appear on WMs. The only difference I see is that the whole year is written out, 1959, whereas I've only seen the last 2 digits on any WMs. Anyone else ever see the whole year written out on a WM?

The WM pre-hero's are normally nice, but there have been lesser condition copies in that collection that have surfaced. I have a couple of lesser WMs that are just wonderful -- white pages, glossy covers -- except for some nasty Marvel chipping.

I also recall reading somewhere (probably here) that there are multiple WM copies of some of the pre-hero books. I have never seen any, but it seems quite possible.

Bill

That's very interesting. I suppose its quite possible the #3 is an uncredited WM then.

To confirm you would have to crack it and see if it has the date on the interior splash.

Can you do a close up scan of the date on the book?

The WM pre-hero's are normally nice, but there have been lesser condition copies in that collection that have surfaced. I have a couple of lesser WMs that are just wonderful -- white pages, glossy covers -- except for some nasty Marvel chipping.

I don't think the original owner was bothered by Marvel chipping. I went through all of the books Overstreet owned from the WM collection and there were a number of mid grade copies due to chipping and other defects. All, as you noted, were very pretty.