• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

My latest pickup from Heritage, which has long been an arch nemesis book for me. Very tough one to find in grade. I probably overpaid, but that is what happens when you're down to only a few that have eluded you for 20 years...

TOS06CGC.jpg

My latest pickup from Heritage, which has long been an arch nemesis book for me. Very tough one to find in grade. I probably overpaid, but that is what happens when you're down to only a few that have eluded you for 20 years...

TOS06CGC.jpg

(worship) Love it !

Question for pre-hero experts

Marvel had a long-run of pre-hero "monster" covers. Is there one that could be considered the first?

They started with Strange Worlds, TTA and TOS #1. All on sale around the same time.

What about Strange Tales #70? What was the date on that book?

It seems to me that the earliest TOS were more sci-fi oriented, and even a book like #5 isn't quite a monster cover in the sense of the giant "monster of the month" books they'd do a bit later (TOS #6 gets my vote for the first of those in that title). TTA #1 has a giant monster on the cover, but more of a King Kong vibe (to me, anyway) and while the cover to #3 sort of fits that bill it too seems more sci-fi. #5 is getting there, and #6-7 are definitely there, IMHO. JIM may have a good case for earliest, as books in the early to mid-50s (I mean numbers, not years here) are making that transition from Sci-fi, to big Sci-fi creatures, to big monsters like Hulk and RRO! Look at the evolution from JIM #52-56 or so and it's a microcosm of the shift from sci-fi to "monster of the month".

Marvel had a long-run of pre-hero "monster" covers. Is there one that could be considered the first?

They started with Strange Worlds, TTA and TOS #1. All on sale around the same time.

It seems to me that the earliest TOS were more sci-fi oriented, and even a book like #5 isn't quite a monster cover in the sense of the giant "monster of the month" books they'd do a bit later (TOS #6 gets my vote for the first of those in that title). TTA #1 has a giant monster on the cover, but more of a King Kong vibe (to me, anyway) and while the cover to #3 sort of fits that bill it too seems more sci-fi. #5 is getting there, and #6-7 are definitely there, IMHO. JIM may have a good case for earliest, as books in the early to mid-50s (I mean numbers, not years here) are making that transition from Sci-fi, to big Sci-fi creatures, to big monsters like Hulk and RRO! Look at the evolution from JIM #52-56 or so and it's a microcosm of the shift from sci-fi to "monster of the month".

..... the early issues seemed to have an "Interplanetary Space Patrol" type of group that had several stories in different titles.... something like Star Trek but not fleshed out. They seemed to be an attempt by Kirby to assimilate the essence of what he had tried to do at Harvey with Race For The Moon.... which had a very well done series of stories featuring some semi-recurring characters.... kind of like Challengers of the Unknown but with an interplanetary thrust. Kirby often carried his concepts to his next publisher and this was no different with Marvel..... with the COTU concept finally striking paydirt with the FF. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but to fully understand the big monster period one must take note of the huge success of the Godzilla and Harryhausen movies that were taking the world by storm back then. It was no secret that Atlas/Marvel at that time were quick to produce comics that mirrored whatever was topping the Box Office at the time..... especially the Saturday Matinee fodder, where the plan was to squeeze a couple more dimes out of the movie goers on their way home. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Strange Tales 70 was on the stands with Strange Worlds 5. I stand by what I said. :headbang:

Makes sense too....TOS and TTA sported ALOT of big monsters on the covers. :baiting:

Strange Tales 70 was on the stands with Strange Worlds 5. I stand by what I said. :headbang:

Makes sense too....TOS and TTA sported ALOT of big monsters on the covers. :baiting:

Strange Worlds #3 could make a claim as an early example, but it is buried amidst four other sci-fi covers, not "monster of the month" covers.

ALL the "big four" pre-hero books had a lot of monsters, but the question was when they started. Strange Worlds (aside from maybe the aforementioned #3) and the first five issues of TOS and TTA don't really follow that pattern, IMHO.

Here are some of Kirby's earliest Marvel monster covers

Tales to Astonish #1 1/59 "9th Wonder of the World"

Strange Worlds #3 4/59 "Creature From Planet X"

World of Fantasy #18 6/59 "Xom"

Strange Tales #70 8/59 "the Sphinx"

Journey Into Mystery #54 9/59 "Monstro"

Tales of Suspense #6 9/59 "Thing From the Swamp"

I agree TTA 1 looks like the first, I don't find one before that. Didn't he start out at Marvel on romance books? When did he start on the sci-fi / monster titles?

Nobody thinks Strange Worlds #1 (12/58) counts? I know folks like to parse details but post-implosion sci-fi or monster stories count as pre-heros to me. A lot of the early ones were transitional and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the older-style post-code fantasy stories (like the ones by John Forte) were leftover inventory.

Kirby did some work at Marvel in ’56 (Astonishing, Strange Tales of the Unusual, and notably the Yellow Claw) but didn’t return full time until '58. He worked on everything: monster books, romance books and Westerns. Here are some starting points:

Strange Worlds #1 12/58

Tales to Astonish #1 1/59

Tales of Suspense #1 1/59

Strange Tales #67 2/59

Journey Into Mystery #51 3/59

Strange Tales #68 (1st cover) 4/59

Journey Into Mystery #52 (1st cover) 5/59

Tales of Suspense #4 (1st cover) 6/59

Two Gun Kid #48 6/59

Love Romances #83 9/59

My Own Romance #71 9/59

Rawhide Kid #17 8/60

Teen-Age Romance #84 11/61

Amazing Adventures #1 6/61

Nobody thinks Strange Worlds #1 (12/58) counts? I know folks like to parse details but post-implosion sci-fi or monster stories count as pre-heros to me. A lot of the early ones were transitional and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the older-style post-code fantasy stories (like the ones by John Forte) were leftover inventory.

Kirby did some work at Marvel in ’56 (Astonishing, Strange Tales of the Unusual, and notably the Yellow Claw) but didn’t return full time until '58. He worked on everything: monster books, romance books and Westerns. Here are some starting points:

Strange Worlds #1 12/58

Tales to Astonish #1 1/59

Tales of Suspense #1 1/59

Strange Tales #67 2/59

Journey Into Mystery #51 3/59

Strange Tales #68 (1st cover) 4/59

Journey Into Mystery #52 (1st cover) 5/59

Tales of Suspense #4 (1st cover) 6/59

Two Gun Kid #48 6/59

Love Romances #83 9/59

My Own Romance #71 9/59

Rawhide Kid #17 8/60

Teen-Age Romance #84 11/61

Amazing Adventures #1 6/61

The original question was the first monster cover, so that was where my answer came from. Strange Worlds, to me, feels like a sci-fi title. Definitely pre-hero, but a very different feel to the "monster of the month" we get in the big four titles at the end of the pre-hero era. To me it feels like a shift in the genre from sci-fi stories (outer space and aliens) to a focus on giant rampaging monsters that characterize most of those later stories. Maybe I'm splitting hairs too finely, but I do see a distinction. If you look at TTA #2 or 4 compared to #9, 11, or 12, as examples, you'll see what I mean.