• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Double posting this one, but I don't care! One of my absolute favorite books, and fills a grail spot for me!

BuYyQLE.jpg

Go ahead and post that beauty everywhere!

Congratz on fulfilling a grail!

-bc

JIM 63 is a marvelous monster cover.

JIM63.jpg

:applause:

It is a great cover. One of my faves from JIM. I didn't even notice the boat until I counted the people on the water tower in response to that other post (though I have always wondered what they were doing there). It's a cover that would definitely make me pay my dime for the comic. I'd bet that most of these covers take some artistic license for the sake of creating drama, perspective being the most often bruised. But I'd rather look at pre-hero Marvel covers than any other SA books I can think of.

Yeah - more smashing of buildings and vehicles ! This one is missing the Kirby monster pants and the obligatory pointing person, but it does have the man-in-a-hat covered. Wonder what the guy at the left foot of the monster is trying to do...is it an old man yelling "get off my lawn"?

TOS_26_zps7fb6uwc5.jpg

-bc

I gave up collecting high grade pre-hero Marvels years ago because it was far too difficult but just out of curiosity what is the minimum grade you guys would accept as high grade. Many collectors have said i was aiming too high. (shrug)

8.0 is where the prices start to spike with pre-hero books. I'd say that it's high grade for them.

I gave up collecting high grade pre-hero Marvels years ago because it was far too difficult but just out of curiosity what is the minimum grade you guys would accept as high grade. Many collectors have said i was aiming too high. (shrug)

I try to have my keepers be 6.0 or better, and I really like 7.5s when I can find them (all the beauty of a VF book and cheaper than the aforementioned price spike at 8.0). Anywhere in that range is high grade enough for me.

I try to have my keepers be 6.0 or better, and I really like 7.5s when I can find them (all the beauty of a VF book and cheaper than the aforementioned price spike at 8.0). Anywhere in that range is high grade enough for me.

7.5 to 8.5 is my high grade for many early (59-61) PHM issues. PQ is important as well. Rather have a nicely centered, White page 7.5 than a Cream 8.5 that only shows it as an "ANGE TALES" issue.

Later PHM issues (62-63) are sporadically available at 8.5 and higher. But there is a big price curve for anything labeled in the top few price grades as was mentioned earlier.

Seeing a great deal of alternative company high grade PHM books in the last few months as well, so keeping track of the data has been more challenging.

Either way, patience is a virtue with these critters :)

-bc