• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Strange Planets #1 (1958) isn't a Marvel comic, but if it sold well (re-using an earlier 1951 cover), it could have provided a kick to get Marvel doing monster covers soon after. hm

Weren't those all reprints of older PCH comics like Incredible Science Fiction, Strange Worlds (Avon I think), Journey into Unknown Worlds, etc. ? Just hesitant to suggest that a reprint has ever really influenced a new direction.

Monster + Name + Kirby cover timeline:

WOF18 (cover date 6/59)

JIM54 (9/59)

ST72 (12/59)

TTA8 (3/60)

TOS8 (3/60)

Coincidence that both TTA & TOS start this trend on the 8th issue???

-bc

I'm quite comfortable with these issues being the "first" in their respective titles for this changeover to "classic" pre-hero monster stories (most of which featured pants).

I'm collecting the full #1-up runs of TOS and TTA, but it is most helpful for me to have a cutoff for where I'm "serious" about my ST and JIM runs. The classic monsters are my favorites, and thus I would aim to collect these in grade. I'm also after #1-up on ST and JIM, but am happy with raw VGs for the most part in the earlier stuff with the occasional beauty where I've been fortunate.

Strange Planets #1 (1958) isn't a Marvel comic, but if it sold well (re-using an earlier 1951 cover), it could have provided a kick to get Marvel doing monster covers soon after. hm

Weren't those all reprints of older PCH comics like Incredible Science Fiction, Strange Worlds (Avon I think), Journey into Unknown Worlds, etc. ? Just hesitant to suggest that a reprint has ever really influenced a new direction.

WOF18 (cover date 6/59)

JIM54 (9/59)

ST72 (12/59)

TTA8 (3/60)

TOS8 (3/60)

-bc

I'm quite comfortable with these issues being the "first" in their respective titles for this changeover to "classic" pre-hero monster stories (most of which featured pants).

I'm collecting the full #1-up runs of TOS and TTA, but it is most helpful for me to have a cutoff for where I'm "serious" about my ST and JIM runs. The classic monsters are my favorites, and thus I would aim to collect these in grade. I'm also after #1-up on ST and JIM, but am happy with raw VGs for the most part in the earlier stuff with the occasional beauty where I've been fortunate.

First its the sheet, now the pants.... :)

A few hundred pages back, the list of PHM books was defined as these 164 issues:

AA 1-6

AAF 7-14

JIM 50-82

ST 67-100 ST Annual 1

SW 1-5

TOS 1-38

TTA 1-34

WOF 15-19

The issues I listed earlier represent the beginning of a very consistent style/format for a few years before the heroes emerged.

I probably shouldn't have published that list since that has helped me to focus, but glad to finally give something back after lurking for 11 years.

-bc

WOF18 (cover date 6/59)

JIM54 (9/59)

ST72 (12/59)

TTA8 (3/60)

TOS8 (3/60)

-bc

First its the sheet, now the pants.... :)

A few hundred pages back, the list of PHM books was defined as these 164 issues:

AA 1-6

AAF 7-14

JIM 50-82

ST 67-100 ST Annual 1

SW 1-5

TOS 1-38

TTA 1-34

WOF 15-19

The issues I listed earlier represent the beginning of a very consistent style/format for a few years before the heroes emerged.

I probably shouldn't have published that list since that has helped me to focus, but glad to finally give something back after lurking for 11 years.

-bc

Lurkers need love too :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Plus it's a first issue that preceded TOS1 & TTA1 - makes it the "easiest" to label as the first.

While its cover date does precede TTA and TOS #1s, all three books were released at the same time. Hard to say any one is first.

And that's why I lumped them all together in my first post. :acclaim:

WOF18 (cover date 6/59)

JIM54 (9/59)

ST72 (12/59)

TTA8 (3/60)

TOS8 (3/60)

-bc

ST and JIM runs would be epic. I kinda feel out of heavy collecting for right now.....but I would love to have both those complete!

This weeks ComicLink auction saw some solid PHM sales:

JIM54 CGC8.0 $2,322

ST89 CGC7.0 $2,450

ST95 CGC9.2 $2,988

TOS14 CGC8.5 $1,399

TOS15 CGC8.5 $1,899

TOS18 CGC8.0 $1,299

TTA3 CBCS9.2 $2,978

TTA10 CGC7.5 $1,299

I was the underbidder on the JIM54, ST95, TOS15 - hope fellow boardies grabbed those beauties!

I left the ST89 early but like the fact that it is trending down so I may be able to pickup a VF copy one day :)

The fact that I got smoked early made me get a bit more aggressive later on.

Snagged the TOS14, TOS18 and TTA10 for my vault:

TOS_14_zpszzvsze8c.jpg

Some old label goodness:

TOS_18_zpsa04tuz5p.jpg

One of my favorite covers:

TTA_10_zpsv71bitss.jpg

-bc

Edited by bc

This weeks ComicLink auction saw some solid PHM sales:

JIM54 CGC8.0 $2,322

ST89 CGC7.0 $2,450

ST95 CGC9.2 $2,988

TOS14 CGC8.5 $1,399

TOS15 CGC8.5 $1,899

TOS18 CGC8.0 $1,299

TTA3 CBCS9.2 $2,978

TTA10 CGC7.5 $1,299

I was the underbidder on the JIM54, ST95, TOS15 - hope fellow boardies grabbed those beauties!

I left the ST89 early but like the fact that it is trending down so I may be able to pickup a VF copy one day :)

The fact that I got smoked early made me get a bit more aggressive later on.

Snagged the TOS14, TOS18 and TTA10 for my vault:

TOS_14_zpszzvsze8c.jpg

Some old label goodness:

TOS_18_zpsa04tuz5p.jpg

One of my favorite covers:

TTA_10_zpsv71bitss.jpg

-bc

Wow, sweet pick ups!! I thought it a stong showing for prehero books.

I grabbed the ST # 85 CGC 8.0. An issue thats evaded me in decent grade.

Edited by RICK STARR

Those are three strong covers, bc, so congratulations are definitely in order! :applause:

I grabbed the ST # 85 CGC 8.0. An issue thats evaded me in decent grade.
(thumbs u

I believe Gargantus was voted best "Jagger Lips" of 1961.