• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

I won that one. Had a hard time passing up that price since I'm still in the market for 1-2 raw copies. I'm sure low feedback scared everyone away. Hopefully it shows up in good shape :)

When did you start collecting MD out of curiosity? and what drew you to the series?

I bought my first couple of #1's towards the middle/end of January. My room mate's brother is a collector and had picked it up and was blown away by the art, story, ect. I was really impressed after reading #1 and #2 as well. The story seemed pretty original to me, and I'm a sucker for historical fiction.

I had 4 #1 first prints, and 2 #1 Ottley variants when I joined the boards. I saw that a lot of people thought that it may continue to pick up steam, and since my last "speculator buy" had been a bust due to all my Sheltered #1's arriving dinged up, I thought why not and started buying quite a few more. I'm just hoping for 1 or 2 more 9.8 candidates before I send in a box for grading.

Just curious, why do you ask?

I ask, because unlike most of the people who talk the book up here, but are only selling, you are actually buying.

sellers have to buy books too, they don't magically get them for free.

You either missed his point or are very naïve about books here and in other threads. While there is a lot of love for some books here, don't kid yourself to think some are here for the love of the book. They have a highly vested monetary interest in the success of the book.

There is nothing wrong with this inherently. Just to pretend that both manipulation, speculation, and vested interest don't have a strong part in this thread is just well naïve. Money brings all that in sadly.

You can hate all you want on CBT, but there is quite a bit of truth in what he has been saying. Most just hate to admit that they are part of that truth.

Why do you or CBT even care? seriously. he brings it up a few times a day and probably doesn't even read the book. it's stupid. CBT is trolling, no matter what you want to call it, that's what it is. everyone knows that some of this books' popularity is because of speculators and most of the popularity is because it's just that damned good, but you and CBT wanna act like you're the only ones that notice it. no, we all notice it. we just don't care like you guys. i enjoy the book and i've made good money off it. AND?

Edited by Hawkman

I do hope to be selling before too much longer though.

You just broke CBT's heart, good going there, he didn't need to know this.

lol Im going to politely bow out of the :baiting: and what not.

lol, it's all good. Dont mind the argument between me and some others. It's got nothing to do with you, and I dont think there is anything wrong with selling, speculating, etc.

It's good to sell enough to cover your investment, comic books, or otherwise. I did that with my Saga collection, and definitely think its always good to be "in" for free whenever possible.

So, after you sold enough Sagas to cover your investment, how many copies did you buy?

Edited by manetteska

I won that one. Had a hard time passing up that price since I'm still in the market for 1-2 raw copies. I'm sure low feedback scared everyone away. Hopefully it shows up in good shape :)

When did you start collecting MD out of curiosity? and what drew you to the series?

I bought my first couple of #1's towards the middle/end of January. My room mate's brother is a collector and had picked it up and was blown away by the art, story, ect. I was really impressed after reading #1 and #2 as well. The story seemed pretty original to me, and I'm a sucker for historical fiction.

I had 4 #1 first prints, and 2 #1 Ottley variants when I joined the boards. I saw that a lot of people thought that it may continue to pick up steam, and since my last "speculator buy" had been a bust due to all my Sheltered #1's arriving dinged up, I thought why not and started buying quite a few more. I'm just hoping for 1 or 2 more 9.8 candidates before I send in a box for grading.

Just curious, why do you ask?

I ask, because unlike most of the people who talk the book up here, but are only selling, you are actually buying.

sellers have to buy books too, they don't magically get them for free.

You either missed his point or are very naïve about books here and in other threads. While there is a lot of love for some books here, don't kid yourself to think some are here for the love of the book. They have a highly vested monetary interest in the success of the book.

There is nothing wrong with this inherently. Just to pretend that both manipulation, speculation, and vested interest don't have a strong part in this thread is just well naïve. Money brings all that in sadly.

You can hate all you want on CBT, but there is quite a bit of truth in what he has been saying. Most just hate to admit that they are part of that truth.

Why do you or CBT even care? seriously. he brings it up a few times a day and probably doesn't even read the book. it's stupid. CBT is trolling, no matter what you want to call it, that's what it is. everyone knows that some of this books' popularity is because of speculators and most of the popularity is because it's just that damned good, but you and CBT wanna act like you're the only ones that notice it. no, we all notice it. we just don't care like you guys. i enjoy the book and i've made good money off it. AND?

+1 :applause: -- Finally

I have an announcement to make, probably in the next day or two, but I plan on making my FDQ exit from moderns, and it's all thanks to CBT.

*spoon* it, this is my FDQ statement, I'm out of moderns for good, going back to silvers/bronze and coppers. I can't stand the rampant speculation that goes on here. And the proverbial straw that broke the horses back is the realization that CBT is no different than the rest of the rampant speculators, "I sell enough to cover my cost," what bunch of crock. There is no difference between someone of sells for profit and someone who sells for profit until he covers his cost. As my father likes to say, *spoon*, *spoon* of a different texture.

*spoon* you moderns, I should never have changed my name from burnallmabks, burn all modern age books. *spoon* you moderns.

PEACE OUT!!!!

BurnallMAbks.

"I sell enough to cover my cost," what bunch of crock.

:golfclap:

Just curious, why is that applause worthy? Who in retail doesn't try to sell enough to cover their costs? Isn't that what you do when selling things? (shrug)

This thread is plagued with people looking for fights, and I love it. I love how worked up people get here, and the passive agressive comments and emoticons, it's never-ending entertainment lol Happy Friday everyone!

The MD thread, the most hostile thread in all the forums, may it live forever! :acclaim:

I have an announcement to make, probably in the next day or two, but I plan on making my FDQ exit from moderns, and it's all thanks to CBT.

*spoon* it, this is my FDQ statement, I'm out of moderns for good, going back to silvers/bronze and coppers. I can't stand the rampant speculation that goes on here. And the proverbial straw that broke the horses back is the realization that CBT is no different than the rest of the rampant speculators, "I sell enough to cover my cost," what bunch of crock. There is no difference between someone of sells for profit and someone who sells for profit until he covers his cost. As my father likes to say, *spoon*, *spoon* of a different texture.

*spoon* you moderns, I should never have changed my name from burnallmabks, burn all modern age books. *spoon* you moderns.

PEACE OUT!!!!

BurnallMAbks.

Peace out :hi:

I would say that if speculating burns you up, avoid ALL CGC threads. Bronze heating up, copper heating up, etc. The difference in modern and the rest of the boards is that people are actually STILL reading the moderns AND speculating. I doubt anyone with half a mind is buying AF #15 CGC 4.0 with the idea of cracking that baby open to see how good the story is and what will happen next. lol

I would bet that more than 95% of of books encapsulated by CGC will never breathe again other than to be put in a new slab. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is nobody that I know that will pay for a book today thinking they could buy it for less tomorrow. Especially when you considere how the dollar continually devalues, its a double whammy. No, the vast majority of people who buy old books do so thinking they are never going to be cheaper. Otherwise, they could buy a TPB and read that at a much lower cost.

Anyway, I wouldn't let somebody I don't know bother me that much and ESPECIALLY over comic books. Good luck to you. (thumbs u

Edited by The Authority

I love moderns.

I already own the bronze and coppers I want raw, some in slabs, and it would be a beast to try and compete in some of those sets.

With moderns, it's possible to fall in love all over again every Wednesday...

Agreed (thumbs u

I love moderns.

I already own the bronze and coppers I want raw, some in slabs, and it would be a beast to try and compete in some of those sets.

With moderns, it's possible to fall in love all over again every Wednesday...

well said viking.

PEACE OUT!!!!

BurnallMAbks.

didnt see you come in, let alone leave. I have collected comics for about 30 years, I have sold comics once during that time, the period from Jan-Mar of 2013. Never before, never after.

Now, I am not sure what your faux temper tantrum is about, and I am sure its terribly funny and all that, but my comment was refering to anything a person invests in. Economics, markets, commodities, or yes, even comic books.

If you can try and make the peanut gallery laugh with some convoluted joke out of that comment. Well hey, clap on brother, clap on.

:golfclap: