• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifest Destiny - Skybound - Chris Dingess, Matthew Roberts
1 1

2,663 posts in this topic

Honestly? The Ottley cover image. Had it been only the regular cover I saw, I might have passed at first.

:)

-slym

It's funny how people like different things. The Ottley cover was not very cool to me at first but it did grow on me. I think the #2 cover is the best of them all so far. Just how it's simple yet detailed and beautiful all in one. Matthew Roberts has to be one of the best artists out there right now IMHO. With Nick Pitarra right there with him. Manhattan Projects and Manifest Destiny are kings right now.

how late is this in the pre-order process and will retailers miss out on this like they did with the Ottley? Or will they have time to pre-order en masse?

Just got of the phone with my lcs. Image posted the preorder code and final day to preorder is 5/19 i believe. None of the big online stores have it available yet but give them a few days.

I won that one. Had a hard time passing up that price since I'm still in the market for 1-2 raw copies. I'm sure low feedback scared everyone away. Hopefully it shows up in good shape :)

When did you start collecting MD out of curiosity? and what drew you to the series?

I bought my first couple of #1's towards the middle/end of January. My room mate's brother is a collector and had picked it up and was blown away by the art, story, ect. I was really impressed after reading #1 and #2 as well. The story seemed pretty original to me, and I'm a sucker for historical fiction.

I had 4 #1 first prints, and 2 #1 Ottley variants when I joined the boards. I saw that a lot of people thought that it may continue to pick up steam, and since my last "speculator buy" had been a bust due to all my Sheltered #1's arriving dinged up, I thought why not and started buying quite a few more. I'm just hoping for 1 or 2 more 9.8 candidates before I send in a box for grading.

Just curious, why do you ask?

I ask, because unlike most of the people who talk the book up here, but are only selling, you are actually buying. I was also curious if you got into the series before or after the price jump.

Since you had a '14 join date, it makes for a unique perspective, versus the already here boardies. Is your roommate's brother/roommate a boardie? A lot of people find these boards due to high google results, when searching for something outside ebay. I guess I was also curious if MD was what brought you to the board, but as you say, you already were into via friends prior to joining.

I appreciate some real talk in the thread, thanks for answering the question(s).

Hey, another MD fan that is one because they like the book!

:applause:

-slym

it would be even better if you typed it in CAPITALS. Then we'd know you REALLY mean it. lol

You'll also notice, I dont have a problem with fans of the series, despite how many times you say it. I had a problem with the people holding tons of copies, bad mouthing true observations about shady auctions, and attacking those pointing it out.

There wouldnt be anything wrong with that, if they were the ones on ebay buying copies at those prices, or buying copies from the Boards here. But they arent doing either, just selling. It's the hypocrisy I had a problem with, nothing more, nothing less.

But, keep beating that nail, it might not be flush yet.

Ah, I gotchya. No problem!

My roomates brother is not a boardie. As far I know, he just stumbled upon the series. I found the boards myself after getting my CGC membership. Lurked for a good while before I decided to join.

I was buying before and during the price spike unfortunately. They were going above cover, but nothing too crazy. When the dust settled, I was still needing a few copies to get to the number I wanted. So I've been snatching up a few here and there still depending on price/grade.

I do hope to be selling before too much longer though. I think the series has legs enough to maintain interest and with a few exceptions I've left myself some room for the price to stumble down a bit and not take a big loss.

Wow :blahblah: Didnt mean to publish a memoir there.

Hey, another MD fan that is one because they like the book!

:applause:

it would be even better if you typed it in CAPITALS. Then we'd know you REALLY mean it. lol

You'll also notice, I dont have a problem with fans of the series, despite how many times you say it. I had a problem with the people holding tons of copies, bad mouthing true observations about shady auctions, and attacking those pointing it out.

There wouldnt be anything wrong with that, if they were the ones on ebay buying copies at those prices, or buying copies from the Boards here. But they arent doing either, just selling. It's the hypocrisy I had a problem with, nothing more, nothing less.

But, keep beating that nail, it might not be flush yet.

I have never said you had a problem with fans of the series. I guess if you say it to yourself enough times, you'll believe that though.

(see how it feels?)

;)

-slym

I do hope to be selling before too much longer though.

You just broke CBT's heart, good going there, he didn't need to know this.

lol Im going to politely bow out of the :baiting: and what not.

I do hope to be selling before too much longer though.

You just broke CBT's heart, good going there, he didn't need to know this.

lol Im going to politely bow out of the :baiting: and what not.

lol, it's all good. Dont mind the argument between me and some others. It's got nothing to do with you, and I dont think there is anything wrong with selling, speculating, etc.

It's good to sell enough to cover your investment, comic books, or otherwise. I did that with my Saga collection, and definitely think its always good to be "in" for free whenever possible.