• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2014, July 23-27, San Diego, Ca.

642 posts in this topic

I got nada! Damn. Though my buddy and I still have Thursday and Sunday tix from presale. We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday or just get a refund on Sunday and only go on Thursday. Disappointing, but oh well.... worse things could happen.

I would still go. There are tons of events and parties surrounding the convention center. They transform half of downtown Gaslamp into a comic con campus.

In my opinion they need to move Comic Con to Las Vegas....Las Vegas Convention Center is drastically bigger, they have the lodging, dining and entertainment infrastructure to hold a lot more people & events and it would generally be good all the way around for attendees and the Comic Con business.

Yes, I love San Diego but now that comics & pop culture are so prevalent and the convention has become "the event" why not progress and get bigger so everyone can enjoy...not just the lucky ones who somehow get a badge and sell on ebay for $500 or who just want to see that next "Hunger Games" panel....Isnt' this Comic Con not "Movie Con"?

OMG I was able to get SDCC tickets today for all four days and preview night! This is going to be my first time attending the show after trying to go since I was in high School! Cheers and see you guys there.

I would prefer it if people were allowed to scalp the tickets. The registration process is a joke anyways. No reason that somebody cant show up with a valid ticket and go in regardless of the name on the ticket.

You can definitely do that, you just need the original person who purchased the ticket to pick it up. Then all it takes is a handoff.

you fill out your choices(6) and then they fill request out in the order they were submitted, if you select give me anything you will get a place to stay just might not be near the con but you will get a hotel somewhere.

So that means one should fill out the request at 9.00 am on April 8th sharp and hope for the best?

Yep that is exactly right!

Ok,

I am wondering whether is is wise to check the "give me anything" option for the hotel.

Do you have a better chance of getting a hotel close to the convention center if you don't check that?

Here's my recommendations to Comic Con to implement for the future:

1) For those in cyber line to register for 2014, if they're unable to get tickets for 2014, they should have buying rights to purchase tickets for next year, 2015 either right away or a guaranteed voucher to allow them to buy 'em. This helps rotate attendees to experience the show and not continue having it riddled by the same folks who are grandfathered in, allowing others a chance to attend.

2) Have ticket buyers request their ticket configuration in advance, whether 1 day, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days or all 5 days in order of preference to list the top 3 or 5 configurations to process if available, then make it automated, so that nobody is waiting for an hour or more to figure out what they can and can't buy. Then, Comic Con can email registrants on if they got their tickets or not and most people who are currently waiting don't feel like they wasted their time and get disappointed coupled by a bit of anger and frustration.

3) Offer a selection (not all) of tickets via a dutch auction with those who want to throw money at it and get in able to buy their way in, but have all of the incremental proceeds above the face value go to their Robert A. Heinlein Memorial Blood Drive, Hero Initiative and/or Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, so it's more charitable than money grubbing by Comic Con.

4) Hold Comic Con like how some current Music Festivals are held, spread across 2 weekends, so essentially extending the dates. I'm not sure if logistically it's possible for vendors to attend for such a long span. I'm sure corporate booths can staff for a mega event like this. I'm sure guests will be able to rotate in/out when they're available, as would artists alley artists just choose when they're available. Then, there's more dates to choose from if they go to a Sat-Sun-Mon-Tues-Wed-Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun, 9 day convention.

5) Jettison parts of the convention to different hotel convention rooms, so the main hall can have all of the bells and whistles of media type guests, then there could be sub-locations for specialty niche sectors of the hobby such as artists, traditional comic books, anime, etc. at places like the Manchester Grand Hyatt, The Bayfront Hilton and other local locations to increase space, as well as possibly offer separate tickets for those who want to go to SDCC to buy from vendors more than attend the circus of events.

6) Make Wonder Con a better show to rival SDCC so there would be two shows a year that are of the same scope and size and it's less of a mad rush to attend the mecca of shows in San Diego if Wonder Con (be it in LA or SF) can step up and become a better show in terms of all of the bells and whistles. It's odd that being in Anaheim the past few years, near the heart of the entertainment capitol of the world, Hollywood, the lack of notable guests they're able to pull is glaringly missing with minimal studio support to promote films and shows appearing.

I got nada! Damn. Though my buddy and I still have Thursday and Sunday tix from presale. We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday or just get a refund on Sunday and only go on Thursday. Disappointing, but oh well.... worse things could happen.

Yep, keep both days. Save the outdoor stuff for Fri/Sat; there is quite a bit of SDCC stuff to do w/o a badge. If you have a car there is certainly plenty of non SDCC stuff to do. Not my thing but I'm pretty sure you do not need a badge for http://www.thewalkingdeadescape.com/ In 2012 I only got Thurs/Sun and TBH it was perfectly fine and less stressful.

Congrats to those that got badges

To those who didn't I feel ya guys. Sadly I wasn't able to take part in the hunt today due to work and no access to even try. =/ hopefully next year we'll have more luck.

I will also now consider wondercon a bit more than I was thinking before. But depends on work also... Damn u work! :mad::cry:lol

We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday

Yep, keep both days.

I'd say it depends if you have interests beyond comics and pop culture as well as where you are coming from.

Locally in San Diego there's the Zoo, Sea World, and other activities, none so super spectacular that if you felt it was too close to SDCC and you're shut out and just buying time, you should just leave the area for better activities:

Having Fri and Sat may allow you to venture to:

Tijuana, Mexico - you can walk across the border, but bring your passport

Las Vegas - quick flight or a 5 hr drive

Los Angeles - a 2 hr drive or a train ride

Santa Barbara - a 3-4 hr drive or a train ride

Disneyland, Anaheim - a 2 hr drive

San Francisco - less than a 2 hr flight

It could be a good break and nice adventure trip...