• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2014, July 23-27, San Diego, Ca.

642 posts in this topic

Aw man! I was excited for a moment when I read Wednesday April 8. I don't work most Wednesdays so i figured I had a shot. But it's Tuesday April 8, now I have no shot what so ever.

Give someone else your info and have them do it. My wife booked my hotel last year for the first time (while I was at work) and she did better than my pal who has been booking the con hotels for the last 20 years.

Open reg on Saturday. Gotta love the lack of response from customer service in regards to the web failure. They say we're eligible to buy due to the crash but now they're selling them to the general public instead of resolving the current issue.

Best of luck to all those that will be on the quest for SDCC tickets this Saturday...

Surviving Open Online Registration: 10 Tips for a Better Experience!

For those looking to attend Comic-Con for the very first time, the Open Online Registration process can seem quite overwhelming. Gone are the days when one could simply walk into the San Diego Convention Center and buy a badge. The popularity of Comic-Con has morphed the face of badge registration over the years, requiring Comic-Con to change the process frequently to keep up with burgeoning technology and demand.

If this is the first time you’re attempting to buy a Comic-Con badge, we have a few hints and tips that you should be aware of.

1. Do not share your registration code!

Each registration code is good for one entry into the EPIC Registration waiting room. Your code will authorize one browser and one device only. If you share your code with another person or attempt to enter your code on multiple devices, the new device/browser will be authorized and your old session will expire. Your personal registration code can be found under the “Registration Info” tab in your Member ID account, but please remember in this instance, sharing is not caring.

2. Authorize early!

The EPIC Registration landing page will be open for you to authorize your registration code from 7:00 AM to 9:00 AM Pacific Time (PT) on March 15, 2014. If you arrive after 9:00 AM, you will not be able to authorize your code and the waiting room will be closed. Remember, it does not matter what time you arrive at the EPIC Registration landing page. Everyone will be sorted into random order after the sale begins, so take your time and enter your registration code about 10-15 minutes before 9:00 AM (PT).

3. Do not refresh!

Refreshing is to the waiting room what kryptonite is to Superman. Once you have secured your place in the waiting room it is important that you do not refresh your browser or you will be moved to the back of the line. The EPIC Registration system will not behave as expected if you attempt to refresh through any portion of the badge purchase process. It may be tempting, but just don’t do it!

4. Do not use your browser’s back button!

We’ve all made mistakes and we’ve all missed important information that requires us to go “back” a step online, but in the case of Open Online Registration it is critical that you take your time while registering and do not hit the back button to repair any mistakes. In multiple rounds of online registration testing, using the back button has produced the greatest number of errors. Comic-Con and EPIC Registration simply cannot stress this tip enough. Using the back button at any point during the registration process could potentially cause the system to error out or release your badges back into inventory. Remember and memorize; back is bad!

5. No Member ID = no badge!

Everyone who wishes to purchase a badge for Comic-Con must have their own valid and confirmed Member ID. This means that you cannot buy a badge for a friend, spouse, child, or parent using your own Member ID. If you are buying badges for others, you will need their personal Member ID and last name.

6. Take a cue from Batman and always be prepared!

In the days leading up to Open Online Registration it is important that you get all of your information ready. You will need your registration code, Member ID, last name, and all of your credit card information at your fingertips. You will also need the Member ID and last name for anyone you are purchasing a badge for. We strongly suggest that you get all of this information ready ahead of time, and check it against the information found on the “Registration Info” tab of your Member ID account.

7. Be tech ready!

Your browser should have Javascript and cookies enabled to function reliably with the EPIC Registration waiting room. These features are usually enabled in the default configuration of most modern web browsers. If you do not have these features enabled, it is possible that the waiting room application will not function properly. We also recommend that you use one of the following browsers: Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Safari. We cannot guarantee your results if you use a browser not listed here. The EPIC Registration system is not formatted for mobile devices. Finally, we recommend that you adjust or turn off your computer's power saving setting so that your computer does not go to sleep or power down while in the waiting room.

8. Stock up on snacks!

If all goes well, we anticipate that Open Online Registration will last about an hour. You may have to wait up to an hour for your registration session to begin. You will not be able to see your place in line, so it is important that you pay close attention to your waiting room session. EPIC will automatically refresh the waiting room for you every 120 seconds, and will post live status updates to let you know when badge inventory is running low. Additionally, there will be a blue spinning circle that indicates your page is active. We find that having a nice, refreshing beverage and some protein-packed snacks will help keep you powered through the anxious wait.

9. Relax and take a deep breath!

10. Unfortunately not everyone who participates in Open Online Registration will be able to purchase a badge.

Gaining admittance to the waiting room does not guarantee you a badge or a registration session; there are simply far more people who want to attend than there are badges available. We appreciate your continued support and hope the new changes we made this year will make the process less problematic than it has been in the past.

- See more at: http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/surviving-open-online-registration-10-tips-better-experience#sthash.RpEuZRsc.dpuf

So on Saturday I can try to get tickets but only for myself?? What if I want to bring my wife and kids?? Reading the website I didn't see a definitive answer to this.

That's what I get for skipping a couple years...

Your wife needs to have a member id just like you. Registration for new id's is closed though. Kids under 12 are free with paid adult. This is what I've read...

So on Saturday I can try to get tickets but only for myself?? What if I want to bring my wife and kids?? Reading the website I didn't see a definitive answer to this.

That's what I get for skipping a couple years...

Your wife needs to have a member id just like you. Registration for new id's is closed though. Kids under 12 are free with paid adult. This is what I've read...

Thanks. I guess just me and the kids then.

you fill out your choices(6) and then they fill request out in the order they were submitted, if you select give me anything you will get a place to stay just might not be near the con but you will get a hotel somewhere.

you fill out your choices(6) and then they fill request out in the order they were submitted, if you select give me anything you will get a place to stay just might not be near the con but you will get a hotel somewhere.

So that means one should fill out the request at 9.00 am on April 8th sharp and hope for the best?

So that means one should fill out the request at 9.00 am on April 8th sharp and hope for the best?

Yep that is exactly right!

I got nada! Damn. Though my buddy and I still have Thursday and Sunday tix from presale. We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday or just get a refund on Sunday and only go on Thursday. Disappointing, but oh well.... worse things could happen.

BS...I attended SDCC for 10 straight years and now that it is the "trendy" place to go for all, I have been unable to get tix for the last 4 years...Sat in Lobby since 8 AM with no luck :(

I'm close to just writing this event off and just attend wondercon.