• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2014, July 23-27, San Diego, Ca.

642 posts in this topic

We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday

Yep, keep both days.

I'd say it depends if you have interests beyond comics and pop culture as well as where you are coming from.

Locally in San Diego there's the Zoo, Sea World, and other activities, none so super spectacular that if you felt it was too close to SDCC and you're shut out and just buying time, you should just leave the area for better activities:

Having Fri and Sat may allow you to venture to:

Tijuana, Mexico - you can walk across the border, but bring your passport

Las Vegas - quick flight or a 5 hr drive

Los Angeles - a 2 hr drive or a train ride

Santa Barbara - a 3-4 hr drive or a train ride

Disneyland, Anaheim - a 2 hr drive

San Francisco - less than a 2 hr flight

It could be a good break and nice adventure trip...

Thanks for the ideas! I think we will be staying the long haul but probably won't be making any side trips. Sounds like there will be plenty going on outside of the convention center where a ticket is not needed. Heck, there are a lot worse places to be for two days without a set plan!

We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday

Yep, keep both days.

I'd say it depends if you have interests beyond comics and pop culture as well as where you are coming from.

Locally in San Diego there's the Zoo, Sea World, and other activities, none so super spectacular that if you felt it was too close to SDCC and you're shut out and just buying time, you should just leave the area for better activities:

Having Fri and Sat may allow you to venture to:

Tijuana, Mexico - you can walk across the border, but bring your passport

Las Vegas - quick flight or a 5 hr drive

Los Angeles - a 2 hr drive or a train ride

Santa Barbara - a 3-4 hr drive or a train ride

Disneyland, Anaheim - a 2 hr drive

San Francisco - less than a 2 hr flight

It could be a good break and nice adventure trip...

Thanks for the ideas! I think we will be staying the long haul but probably won't be making any side trips. Sounds like there will be plenty going on outside of the convention center where a ticket is not needed. Heck, there are a lot worse places to be for two days without a set plan!

Yeah there's so much going on outside the convention. You can get more free swag outside than inside sometimes and some of the outside set-ups rival the very best booths inside the hall. Friday & Saturday are the best for outside stuff so have fun!

In my opinion when you're traveling from another state just to attend only 2 days, it's not worth the airfare and hotel cost. Especially if it's not on consecutive days.

My friends were able to get Thursday's and Sunday's. I wasn't able to get in and I was the odd even man out :(

Last years system was by far better. You knew what number in line you were and the best part of all, you can buy 3 other people's besides yourself as well.

In my opinion when you're traveling from another state just to attend only 2 days, it's not worth the airfare and hotel cost. Especially if it's not on consecutive days.

My friends were able to get Thursday's and Sunday's. I wasn't able to get in and I was the odd even man out :(

Last years system was by far better. You knew what number in line you were and the best part of all, you can buy 3 other people's besides yourself as well.

I thought this year u were still available to purchase for 3 other people that had an ID. HMMM... didn't know they had changed also =/

Congratulations for those that got tickets...and "better luck next year" for those that didn't. If you didn't I really think Wonder Con is a nice option.

On a side note, I had helped my nephew and niece get tickets the last two years. They didn't want to go this year, so I enlisted their help this year to get me a ticket (turns out I didn't need them after all).

Anyway, their mom (my older sister), asks them (I over heard on the phone) why I am waiting until the last minute to get tickets. If I wouldn't wait until the last minute, I wouldn't have to scramble to get tickets.

I didn't know whether to laugh or shake my head.

I got nada! Damn. Though my buddy and I still have Thursday and Sunday tix from presale. We are wondering if it is worth it to stay the whole time without going to the con on Friday and Saturday or just get a refund on Sunday and only go on Thursday. Disappointing, but oh well.... worse things could happen.

Yep, keep both days. Save the outdoor stuff for Fri/Sat; there is quite a bit of SDCC stuff to do w/o a badge. If you have a car there is certainly plenty of non SDCC stuff to do. Not my thing but I'm pretty sure you do not need a badge for http://www.thewalkingdeadescape.com/ In 2012 I only got Thurs/Sun and TBH it was perfectly fine and less stressful.

Walking Dead, a lot of stuff to do.

I will have to wait for round 3.

+1

I had totally forgotten about this. Hopefully I don't have work when they do the refunded badges sale

anyone knows when will the refunded badge goes on sale?

BS...I attended SDCC for 10 straight years and now that it is the "trendy" place to go for all, I have been unable to get tix for the last 4 years...Sat in Lobby since 8 AM with no luck :(

I'm close to just writing this event off and just attend wondercon.

They are doing a lot of the signature sdcc panels at wondercon too. It's a decent alternative to sdcc if you are a comics person. Or at least the next closest. If you aren't in SoCal though I might suggest Heroes as the sdcc back up.

+1

I had totally forgotten about this. Hopefully I don't have work when they do the refunded badges sale

The Comic-Con 2014 badge refund deadline is May 23, 2014.

Not sure in the past how long after the deadline those badges go on sale.

+1

Normally in June

+1

Normally in June

ok thanks for the info, hopefully i could get the tickets that time *crossfinger* :wishluck:

So what are the options for people who didn't get tickets? I know someone who needs three more tickets for Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

(I haven't been to SDCC for over four years now I think...so I haven't been keeping up with the seemingly horrendous ticketing process.)

So what are the options for people who didn't get tickets? I know someone who needs three more tickets for Thursday, Friday, Saturday.

(I haven't been to SDCC for over four years now I think...so I haven't been keeping up with the seemingly horrendous ticketing process.)

I struck out too and there are no options except maybe some scraps from returns which I'm not crazy enough to build around (the remote chance) for a trip. They sell out every year so honestly mission accomplished except for not telling us where we were in line. They might consider that strategic/proprietary info though. Try again next year I guess.