• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

Fluff went to a banker

Askin' for some bills

The banker said, "I ain't got that

But I sure got some powerful pills."

does learning disability trump aspergers?

Asperger syndrome is a learning disability.

FYI, aspergers is now a dated diagnosis having been newly recognized(2013) as part of the Autism Spectrum Disorder. Aspergers=Autism. That was, and still is, a big deal in the medical world.

Learning disability is basically a catch all for developmental/physical/cognitive disability as pertaining to a setting where learning occurs, usually the classroom. It's any diagnosis that gets in the way of learning.

Fluff went to a banker

Askin' for some bills

The banker said, "I ain't got that

But I sure got some powerful pills."

:whee:

So you know what you are talking about...

(I really liked this entire show btw which is why I have it saved in my favs)

He was particularly nasty to that Uchiha kid (who is special).

:(

Kid is learning the ropes. Offered him the OS grading guide (well, as soon as Amazon dispatches it) as he obviously wants to learn more about the hobby.

And yes, he's just a kid (who has openly admitted he has a learning disability) so folks should cut him some slack.

Agreed. If he's disabled, he may not understand the full scope or grasp proper social skills. He should be educated and not punished. Some slack in this case with an admitted problem should be weighed in.

The kid isn't a ding-dong. He's just new to the hobby and doesn't really know the ropes.

And jasonharris made it longer than I thought he would before a strike. That guy is an a-hole.

FYI, aspergers is now a dated diagnosis having been newly recognized(2013) as part of the Autism Spectrum Disorder. Aspergers=Autism. That was, and still is, a big deal in the medical world.

Beat me to it. It's now considered high functioning autism I believe, but Aspergers is no more.

Beat me to it. It's now considered high functioning autism I believe, but Aspergers is no more.

I think a huge issue will soon become how large the autism spectrum has become. It seems like more of a dumping ground for kids that they don't know how to label.

Labeling is, of course, an even larger issue…

And technically speaking, Aspergers was always a form of autism. It just had its own label, I believe.

I think a huge issue will soon become how large the autism spectrum has become. It seems like more of a dumping ground for kids that they don't know how to label.

Labeling is, of course, an even larger issue…

And technically speaking, Aspergers was always a form of autism. It just had its own label, I believe.

Not technically Chris. Aspergers and Autism were/are both Pervasive developmental disorders. Rett Syndrome is another relatively common disorder that fell under that umbrella that you may know of. I don't know if you have access to Individualized Education Plans (commonly refereed to as IEPs) in your school setting, but Pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) would be the clinical and listed diagnosis.

@passion4comics: High functioning Autism does not equal Aspergers. An individuals strengths/weaknesses determine that status. Aspergers can be mild to severe and manifest in uniquely individualistic ways.

Haha do I have access to IEPs? I teach AP with a good balance of inclusion. There is a pretty good stack in my filing cabinet at work.

I knew you were an English teacher. I'd imagine that every school is different in regards to distribution of IEPs.

Haha do I have access to IEPs? I teach AP with a good balance of inclusion. There is a pretty good stack in my filing cabinet at work.

I knew you were an English teacher. I'd imagine that every school is different in regards to distribution of IEPs.

I believe legally they have to be given to every teacher of the student. They are a legal document and the system can be sued if I don't follow it. Heck, I might even be able to be held liable.

I believe legally they have to be given to every teacher of the student. They are a legal document and the system can be sewed if I don't follow it. Heck, I might even be able to be held liable.

My understanding from a legal standpoint is that IEP info is to be shared with all teachers not necessarily distributed. Maybe it's different everywhere, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

I believe legally they have to be given to every teacher of the student. They are a legal document and the system can be sewed if I don't follow it. Heck, I might even be able to be held liable.

My understanding from a legal standpoint is that IEP info is to be shared with all teachers not necessarily distributed. Maybe it's different everywhere, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

It has to be given in writing. That is what I learned in graduate school.

I'll admit though, I have so many that I just check accomidations. I teach every lesson in an attempt to reach all my students. As a dyslexic, I try very hard to make it accesible for all.

Last year, I had over 40 IEPs so it wasn't like I was going to keep 'em all straight.