• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

There was a legitimate concern with potential for a huge impact on comic pricing. It's disturbing to know that it's being ignored unless the thread went into a different direction when I was away from my laptop.

You could always consider creating another thread. hm

There was a legitimate concern with potential for a huge impact on comic pricing. It's disturbing to know that it's being ignored unless the thread went into a different direction when I was away from my laptop.

You could always consider creating another thread. hm

It obviously is not for discussion on this board. It could have been approached in a more neutral voice. Maybe the OP was being antagonistic?

CGC should not fear its competition, it should welcome it.

(shrug) I get this is inspirational, but from a business standpoint it is kind of silly. Monopolies (or essential monopolies like what CGC has) lead to far more profit than competition and enables them to not have to spend (much) in market (via pricing, promotion, demand creation, etc). This is a serious advantage and why true monopolies were made illegal by the US government (I know, I am oversimplifying).

To be clear I am not saying CGC is doing anything illegal by any stretch of the imagination nor am I suggesting the US government is going to step in.

In this instance, competition isn't something that I see helping the CGC unless the new company is able to recruit completely new consumers to the category from which CGC could then source as well (highly unlikely - and by highly I mean it is not going to happen) . Net, they will be now competing for the customers they essentially owned which is going to cost them at least some of their profits...

In my experience, it's pretty rare that the company at the top of the business food chain ever acknowledges that there is competition. Not to say they are not paying attention, but they are not going to likely allow any discussion of their competitors. And really, why should they? This place is here for us to talk about their product, not anyone elses. They've footed the bill for the server cost, infrastructure, moderation, etc - why should they let someone else ride for free when they are paying for it?

I know this subject has been beat to death, but there's plenty of rationale to why CGC won't allow discussion of the competitors here, and it makes perfect sense when considering the bigger picture in terms of revenue generation not emotional attachment to the hobby.