• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

I got a wrist slap for asking for a wrist slap. Do they still got wrist slaps?

In English, we don't say "do they got". :gossip:

In English, quotation marks ending a sentence with a quote come after the period. :gossip:

hm You could be right.

Could you provide proof of this, please?

In English, quotation marks ending a sentence with a quote come after the period. :gossip:

hm You could be right.

Quotation Marks

Note the bolded sentence: In the United States, periods and commas go inside quotation marks regardless of logic.

There is also a link that explains why. Not the best answer, but the root of many rules in American English aren't always sensical.

hm You could be right.

Quotation Marks

Note the bolded sentence: In the United States, periods and commas go inside quotation marks regardless of logic.

There is also a link that explains why. Not the best answer, but the root of many rules in American English aren't always sensical.

Thank you so much!! :applause:

I stand corrected and have been doing it wrong, my whole life. Funny how they say "regardless of logic."

hm You could be right.

Quotation Marks

I stand corrected and have been doing it wrong, my whole life. Funny how they say "regardless of logic."

English is one of the most complicated languages to learn. Because it's a relatively young language it's a melting pot of many other languages. Sometimes the rules don't make sense, so I just ignore them. Why?

"Because I feel like it"!

I appreciate all languages and dialects. I think it's amazing how even a language has differences based on the region of the country. Such as how people in England speak differently in Liverpool than London.

I appreciate all languages and dialects. I think it's amazing how even a language has differences based on the region of the country. Such as how people in England speak differently in Liverpool than London.

Your positive attitude, inclusive approach and openness are not welcome here!

Begone!

hm You could be right.

Quotation Marks

English is one of the most complicated languages to learn. Because it's a relatively young language it's a melting pot of many other languages. Sometimes the rules don't make sense, so I just ignore them. Why/

"Because I feel like it"!

Yea Japanese is a piece of cake

I haven't gotten a strike....

(shrug)

What about balls?

Yeah, I've gotten a strike. For posting pictures of hot cosplay women.

Maybe they weren't hot enough. Try again.

Really careful writers -- that is, ancient fuddy-duddies :D -- use the word "quote" only as a verb. The noun is "quotation."