• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official movie review of The Wolverine. Good? Bad?

201 posts in this topic

I finally saw this.

I put it off so long because the 1st Wolverine was so bad.

sad thing is, this isn't much better.

Eventhough I brought A lot of baggage with this one (because I love the Mini series story), I had my expectations very low and they didn't even meet that.

When i read this story as a kid, it was one of the very few stories where I said "this story would make one hell of a movie".

We i caught it free on HBO on demand and I was totally let down even for wasting my time with this.

This movie was hollow to the degree of It would be like the 1st Iron Man movie with out the "cave" scenes.

A lot of the times you were guessing on where this movie was going

that really hurt the pacing and flow. It would've help if Logan narrated his thoughts some. What's up with all the Jean???

That grand finale boss fight at the end was very predictable and clumsy.

Ugh! I need to leave this junk to the diehards. If they can't make a decent Wolverine movie off of that automatic story board then they can hang it up.

30 years I waited for this flick, now it's going to take me 30 years to forget it!

:frustrated:

I finally saw this.

Eventhough I brought A lot of baggage with this one (because I love the Mini series story), I had my expectations very low and they didn't even meet that.

When i read this story as a kid, it was one of the very few stories where I said "this story would make one hell of a movie".

We i caught it free on HBO on demand and I was totally let down even for wasting my time with this.

This movie was hollow to the degree of It would be like the 1st Iron Man movie with out the "cave" scenes.

that really hurt the pacing and flow. It would've help if Logan narrated his thoughts some. What's up with all the Jean???

Ugh! I need to leave this junk to the diehards. If they can't make a decent Wolverine movie off of that automatic story board then they can hang it up.

30 years I waited for this flick, now it's going to take me 30 years to forget it!

Welcome to the dork side!

-slym (has been there since X2)

I finally saw this.

I don't think the movie was bad but they definitely missed the point about the character. You are right. It could have been much better. A lot of writers/producers/directors miss the whole point about superhero (superpowered character) movies. It's has to be the protagonist that does the butkicking and resolving, not the supporting actors.

How many times does this need to be said-Hollywood does not make movies to make fanboys happy. I went to see it with a friend who did not read comics. He liked it. The studioes try to cater to the general public, not a few comic book geeks. Do not expect them to faithfully follow the comics.

How many times does this need to be said-Hollywood does not make movies to make fanboys happy. I went to see it with a friend who did not read comics. He liked it. The studioes try to cater to the general public, not a few comic book geeks. Do not expect them to faithfully follow the comics.

That said what is frustrating in my opinion is that the comic stories are GOOD and would make great movies without having to be "hollywoodized" and would appeal to the general populace and the fanboys.

That said what is frustrating in my opinion is that the comic stories are GOOD and would make great movies without having to be "hollywoodized" and would appeal to the general populace and the fanboys.

+1000

See also: X-Men DoFP

-slym

Agreed. Saying they're made for the general public is just another hoop for the self loathers to jump through so they can rationalize and justify H'Wood's excesses.

How will we know if a well made, reasonably faithful superhero movie won't be successful...until one is actually made?

And before some dope comes in here talking about Watchmen...that movie was not exactly faithful to the source and is not even close to being traditional superhero.

I finally saw this.

I actually enjoyed this movie. A lot.

But I could have done without Viper. That character just annoyed me because the only value she added was a plot twist on how they weakened Logan. Other than that, she was wasted air time for me.

Agreed. Saying they're made for the general public is just another hoop for the self loathers to jump through so they can rationalize and justify H'Wood's excesses.

How will we know if a well made, reasonably faithful superhero movie won't be successful...until one is actually made?

And before some dope comes in here talking about Watchmen...that movie was not exactly faithful to the source and is not even close to being traditional superhero.

I totally agree, but...

Again, we're all looking at it from a comic fan's perspective. I'm sure the writers read the1982 miniseries. They took bits and pieces and pretty much changed it to their vision until it no longer resemble the original source material. Just think of how many novels Hollywood distorted to their vision. Their motive is to appeal to the masses and make money. Movies may be artistic and creative disasters, but they don't care as long as it makes money. The studios invest $millions to make a movie. What makes you think they're not going to hire their own writers and make it their way?

I totally agree, but...

Again, we're all looking at it from a comic fan's perspective. I'm sure the writers read the1982 miniseries. They took bits and pieces and pretty much changed it to their vision until it no longer resemble the original source material. Just think of how many novels Hollywood distorted to their vision. Their motive is to appeal to the masses and make money. Movies may be artistic and creative disasters, but they don't care as long as it makes money. The studios invest $millions to make a movie. What makes you think they're not going to hire their own writers and make it their way?

The implication is that it "needs" to be changed to make money and appeal to the masses. My claim is that it does not need to be changed...at least as greatly as they would have you believe..but we will never know because ego and embarrassment will always get in the way.

Look at the LOTR movies (not The Hobbit ones, because I haven't seen those) - those movies were at least 90% faithful to the books. Look how successful they were.

Yes, I believe comparing a book-based movie to a comic-based movie is fair.

;)

-slym

Hugh Jackman Feels Like He Should Never Stop Playing WOLVERINE

------------------

While talking with the Cigar Aficionado Magazine, Hugh Jackman- who has appeared in every X-Men film to date - says once again that he'd love to continue to play Wolverine and that he has to keep finding a way to play the role again, "The moral is that I should never stop playing Wolverine. I've got to find a way to keep playing him until I die." With all the recasting going on, Jackman tells how he would feel if his character got recast for another actor. "I know that someday they'll recast the role with another actor...I'd be happy if the role was eventually recast. It would mean that it had become iconic."

------------------

They really should have made the transition with X-Men: Days of Future Past. But I bet he can pull off Wolverine 3 before his departure.

Just saw this thread bump up.

I hated this movie. Hated....

I tried to temper my expectations going into the theater, based on Fox's past pieces of poo, and I was still crushed....

I figured if they couldn't stick the landing on this one, they have no chance going forward.

However.... I really really liked DoFP.

Just watched it again recently, and I still like it a lot.

I still have a glimmer of hope I will see a badass Wolvie movie one day now.

The problem is they had the story to build off of, and now they can't go back to it.

Oh well. We'll see what the future holds.

I was meh about Wolverine. It was ok, not great. Days of Future Past was meh as well. I hate it when producers try to throw a bunch of stuff in to please everyone and it just doesn't make sense.

Blink was cool, but seriously, no point having her in that film. Put her in a storyline that is more indepth to her character.

Hell, make Phalanx Convent into a movie. I think it would be an awesome story. And kill her in it too, would be something for people who haven't read the story remember for a long long time.

I thought The Wolverine was alright enough (most excellent set pieces), but I didn't really care for the "law of the economy of characters" (something critic Roger Ebert coined about using every character no matter what no matter how meaningless or dead). Once, the villain was revealed, it felt too much like a soap opera plot twist. But, I admit the film had lots of supporting actors to choose from (most were just wasted in nothing roles).

Two and a half stars.

I liked The Wolverine, and thought it was well done compared to Origins. Viper could have been left on the cutting room floor. But then I guess the weakening of Logan wouldn't have been possible (or just use another, better character as a villain).

I liked The Wolverine, and thought it was well done compared to Origins. Viper could have been left on the cutting room floor. But then I guess the weakening of Logan wouldn't have been possible (or just use another, better character as a villain).
There's another one where they utilized an existent character and turned him into Weapon XI. Why didn't they just harvest his powers and just put them into a clean lab created body or something? Instead, they took away everything we liked about Deadpool and painted themselves into a corner with his character having all these pointless powers for a possible spin-off.

There's another one where they utilized an existent character and turned him into Weapon XI. Why didn't they just harvest his powers and just put them into a clean lab created body or something? Instead, they took away everything we liked about Deadpool and painted themselves into a corner with his character having all these pointless powers for a possible spin-off.

It was very shortsighted and mishandled by Fox. 'Origins' could have been a tremendous launch point for Deadpool, X-Force, Cable - and it ended up being one where you watch it wondering 'what could have been'.

:(

It was very shortsighted and mishandled by Fox. 'Origins' could have been a tremendous launch point for Deadpool, X-Force, Cable - and it ended up being one where you watch it wondering 'what could have been'.

:(

It was obvious poor Liev Schreiber never checked out the dailies as they filmed. His scenes were giving the movie a soul and an edge, that the main star wasn't even trying to do in between posturing after overly-complicated second unit shots. It wasn't surprising Jackman went with his Kate & Leopold directer friend afterwards for the follow-up.