• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official movie review of The Wolverine. Good? Bad?

201 posts in this topic

I find it pretty hilarious that people are mad that they had character development and added some much needed depth to the movie version of Logan.

I much prefered the mix of drama, romance, action, and some great funny lines we got with The Wolverine this time out.

I have to wonder if you have ever read a Wolverine comic? There are plenty of stories they pulled directly from to make the movie. I know I've not read even close to all of his solo books and I remember many stories where he has nightmares and flashbacks often about past loves or trauma, interacts with wild life and lives in the woods, cracks wise, etc.

I almost started to care about what happened in Xmen 3 after watching the effect those events had on Logan. They brought depth to an event that was completely bungled in X-men 3.

Having all that fluff you hated is what makes him a 3 dimensional being and not a cardboard cut out and elevates this movie over Superman (talk about painfully badly written flashbacks) and Star Trek this summer.

The reason why I hated the Wolverine mini series was because it was a clear homage to kung fu and ninja flicks. And i hate when writers/artist go and manipulate a character because of a genre or trend that they're into at the time or in general. I could almost see Miller talk to Claremont and say, hey man you know I really dig Lone wolf and Cub and a bunch of other Manga books, how about we do a story about Wolverine along those lines?

But hey, the only thing that matters is that the fans liked it and at the end of the day thats the only thing that matters.. I JUST FRIGGIN HATED IT

The reason why I hated the Wolverine mini series was because it was a clear homage to kung fu and ninja flicks. And i hate when writers/artist go and manipulate a character because of a genre or trend that they're into at the time or in general. I could almost see Miller talk to Claremont and say, hey man you know I really dig Lone wolf and Cub and a bunch of other Manga books, how about we do a story about Wolverine along those lines?

But hey, the only thing that matters is that the fans liked it and at the end of the day thats the only thing that matters.. I JUST FRIGGIN HATED IT

Miller obviously had a huge fascination with Japanese culture and I wouldn't say it was a negative thing. The entire Elektra / The Hand storyline came out of that interest in Japanese culture as well.

It was a fascinating interjection in my opinion and he was ahead of his time in explaining how DD mastered some of his talents (using martial arts to hone his skills). Something that was later used as the central focus for Nolan's Batman films.

Miller obviously had a huge fascination with Japanese culture and I wouldn't say it was a negative thing. The entire Elektra / The Hand storyline came out of that interest in Japanese culture as well.

It was a fascinating interjection in my opinion and he was ahead of his time in explaining how DD mastered some of his talents (using martial arts to hone his skills). Something that was later used as the central focus for Nolan's Batman films.

Im not opposed to new ideas storylines that are driven out of a writer/artist personal influences, but having them consume the character is basically hijacking the -script. Nothing wrong with Miller starting his own series with his own characters and giving them a Manga/Kung Fu flavor.. Oh wait.. He did that with Ronin. Wow, what a book that was!

He did that with Ronin. Wow, what a book that was!

I really enjoyed Ronin when it first came out and still do. There was literally nothing like it available at the time visually so it was a bit of a black sheep in comics.

Now with everything vying for a new look Ronin looks relatively tame.

I think it was just a little too far ahead of it's time.

I really enjoyed Ronin when it first came out and still do. There was literally nothing like it available at the time visually so it was a bit of a black sheep in comics.

Definitely didn't receive the love of other traditional characters that Miller supported. I still have my original set of Ronin, and they are not going anywhere.

It's not like Wolverine hadn't been to Japan before. I believe your first issue off the stands is the one where the X-MEN land in Japan and you find out that Wolverine knew Japanese and had been there before. So I assume Claremont had his own fascination going on as well.

What I didn't like about the series was how it changed the character...and not for the better IMHO.

Cute, not beautiful. Not enough eye candy to make me care about the story.

DG

Tao Okamoto is not beautiful??? :o:o:o

She's not ugly. She looks almost anorexic.

DG

To each his own. I realize that her body type is not everyone's ideal (not mine either, to be honest) but I think her face is as close to perfection as it gets.

And I truly believe that she's miles away from "she's not ugly". That's something I would save for someone like Amy Poelher. Or Sarah Palin, perhaps :P

I think her face is prettier than the other girl, but I think the other girl was sexier. You can have pretty, but not sexy. You can have sexy, but not pretty. As someone else said, I think she needs to eat a few cheeseburgers.

DG

I thought we were talking about "beautiful". Being "sexy" is a whole different subject. (shrug)

Definitely didn't receive the love of other traditional characters that Miller supported. I still have my original set of Ronin, and they are not going anywhere.

Same here. I'd rather re-read that than Dark Knight returns. I was content with the beatup TPB from way back, but I finally got a nice set of the original issues.

I liked it for what it was. But I imagine the disappointment I had at the time was shared by many Miller fans....it wasn't Daredevil and no Klaus Janson.

It's not like Wolverine hadn't been to Japan before. I believe your first issue off the stands is the one where the X-MEN land in Japan and you find out that Wolverine knew Japanese and had been there before. So I assume Claremont had his own fascination going on as well.

What I didn't like about the series was how it changed the character...and not for the better IMHO.

I wish it would have given him the new mutant power to fart clown shoes at his enemies, just so i could watch you complain that they didn't translate it properly to the big screen.

Yup, X-men #118. I forgot about that. Claremont must have been just as fascinated with Japanese culture as Sunfire and Japan seemed to make it into his story lines on more than one occasion.

I wish it would have given him the new mutant power to fart clown shoes at his enemies, just so i could watch you complain that they didn't translate it properly to the big screen.

Pfft, you know they would get that wrong.

Not one person has mentioned how useless the bear portion was. That whole segment could have been left out entirely. It added almost nothing to the plot.

DG

Go read the Mini Series.

I hated the mini-series. I bought 6 copies of each when they came out and I'm glad it was forgettable.

DG

Don't you mean that you knew the guy who taught Miller how to draw, and had a nanny who gave Claremont the idea for the mini series? :baiting:

I've met Neal Adams & exchanged emails with Jim Shooter. Close enough. Both shaped his career.

DG

Im not opposed to new ideas storylines that are driven out of a writer/artist personal influences, but having them consume the character is basically hijacking the -script. Nothing wrong with Miller starting his own series with his own characters and giving them a Manga/Kung Fu flavor.. Oh wait.. He did that with Ronin. Wow, what a book that was!

^^

DG

Cute, not beautiful. Not enough eye candy to make me care about the story.

DG

Tao Okamoto is not beautiful??? :o:o:o

She's not ugly. She looks almost anorexic.

DG

To each his own. I realize that her body type is not everyone's ideal (not mine either, to be honest) but I think her face is as close to perfection as it gets.

And I truly believe that she's miles away from "she's not ugly". That's something I would save for someone like Amy Poelher. Or Sarah Palin, perhaps :P

I think her face is prettier than the other girl, but I think the other girl was sexier. You can have pretty, but not sexy. You can have sexy, but not pretty. As someone else said, I think she needs to eat a few cheeseburgers.

DG

I thought we were talking about "beautiful". Being "sexy" is a whole different subject. (shrug)

The topic was about eye candy. I prefer sexy over beautiful and I prefer sexy and beautiful over both. I've always said beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it's better if you be holding them. A pretty face on a twig of a figure doesn't really hold my attention in a movie theater. I do tend to like thin women, but this girl didn't look healthy. She looked like she needed to eat. Wolverine should have fed her instead of worrying about who was after her.

DG

I liked it for what it was. But I imagine the disappointment I had at the time was shared by many Miller fans....it wasn't Daredevil and no Klaus Janson.

The last part sums it up. Miller had some great layouts with great perspective in Daredevil. Klaus Janson's inking gave it the punch. I haven't like his work since he left Daredevil. I don't even rate him as a good artist or writer unless you want all the women characters to be devoid of morality. I've really pondered as to whether he's a closet misogynist.

DG

From what we've read about the director, farting clown shoes would've been inspired by some movie we never cared to see crossed with a timeless epic. It'd be an artistic movie that didn't want to be artistic and an epic that didn't want to be epic. To top it off they'd still throw in a metal armor because Iron Man sold a lot of tickets.

DG