• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official movie review of The Wolverine. Good? Bad?

201 posts in this topic

What keeps it a perfect 5 is the Jean Gray scenes were very confusing for me (is she dead?,why is she in Wolverine's dreams?,why is she even in the movie?

These are questions that I can't explain (shrug) )

It was rather straightforward--she's in his dreams because he loved her. Within the context of the film's plot offering him the option of losing his healing powers, she represents a reason for him to die, so he can be with her in the afterlife.

I don't think she was JUST in his dreams.

I felt like her spirit was still alive and he was connecting to her essence.

DG

Stan didn't have a cameo (thumbs u

It looks like it was filmed in Japan & Australia. Maybe he wasn't up to traveling?

DG

I thought he was in the SS armor? (shrug)

Obviously not. I knew who was going to be in the armor immediately upon seeing all the characters. I didn't expect the role he'd play at the end. The Ninja archer was more annoying than necessary. The bear at the beginning reminded me of Kevin Smith's story about wanting Superman to fight Polar Bears. For some reason I was hoping to see Wendigo at the beginning. That would've been a cooler story to tell.

DG

What keeps it a perfect 5 is the Jean Gray scenes were very confusing for me (is she dead?,why is she in Wolverine's dreams?,why is she even in the movie?

It was rather straightforward--she's in his dreams because he loved her. Within the context of the film's plot offering him the option of losing his healing powers, she represents a reason for him to die, so he can be with her in the afterlife.

What made you think that? They kept showing him waking up after the sequences where he and Jean were together. Once he even woke up next to Mariko and she asked him "who's Jean"?

I may be wrong but I think she said something to the effect of, "someone bigger pulling the strings." While taunting the "handcuffed" Logan.

She may have meant SS, though I suppose.

I assumed she did mean Yashida.

MAJOR SPOILER

spoiler reply inside

For whatever reason, along with going 3/4 of the movie without healing factor, it really pissed me off they chopped off his claws

It freaked me out and upset me as well but when I saw the credits scene I get this feeling that Magneto might have something to do with him getting them adamantium laced again. He seems like the only one capable of doing such a feat short of the Ryker Origins fusing process. I'm sure if that's not their intent, a bunch of fans complaining might force their hand to bringing them back. I do lament how infrequent his claws are seen lopping off limbs and slicing through swords.

I will buy a ticket to this movie and will just walk in the when the credits start because this movie is such a filler POS movie.

I agree the credits scene makes up for a seemingly lackluster movie (albeit one with decent action, Hugh Jackedupman's Wolverines in it!!! and hey cute Asian chicks) and double agree that this movie was just filler similar to how Marvel tends to do this with comic books.

Overall I had a decent time watching it and after a pretty "meh" ending it had us in the perfect trough of disillusionment to hit us over the head with the credits scene boosting us back up the rising slope of enlightenment again. The whole theater erupted in cheers with, "AW YEAHs!", "OMGs!", "HELL YEAHs!", some "WOOTs", a couple of "DAT's WAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUTs"! and even a "THANK YOU JESUS!!!" multiple times during and after the scene. Oh yeah and nothing at the very end of the credits so once the early credit scene ends just leave unless you actually want to see who that key grip was and how to spell their name in Japanese and the shout out to the 15,000 jobs that were created by the movie.

Did this actually happen? People actually yelled out "woot" and "thank you jesus"? lol:cloud9:

lol yes I was surprised by the immediate reactions. Pics/video or it didn't happen, I know, but it even drew me into clapping which I rarely do.

What made you think that? They kept showing him waking up after the sequences where he and Jean were together. Once he even woke up next to Mariko and she asked him "who's Jean"?

I think he believes that because when Viper did what she did to Wolvie it was in a dream sequence but also happened in real life as well. That and the fact that Jean is all powerful and omnipresent makes me believe that it is possible to go either way.

Saw it yesterday - was OK. I agree with Ijiwaru Sensei's assessment in the WC. First half of the movie was better than the second half. There was some great build up, story telling, layering and tonal development in the first half. There were some decent actions scenes in the movie. I thought the end was a little hokey and also I too found the movie a little predictable.

I liked it quite a bit. Way better and more true to the character than Superman Kills.

The only character that was kind of useless was Viper, but compared to Wil.I.Am it was a vast improvement.

The only way to top it really is to go R rated and have limbs flying everywhere, but we dont even get that in the comics.

Very true to the character as established in the comics with the exception of the actors hieght and that doesnt even matter to me because everything else is so spot on with his portrayal. It really felt like the Claremont/Miller Japan storyline combined with a Hamma/Silvestri Shiva admantium robot storyline from the 90s. Nicely done.

Also I got curious as to if there really was a POW camp in Nagasaki and it turns out there really was. Then I found this first person account by a Dutch POW of the blast.

He doesnt mention the wolverine though hm

Very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

4 out of 5, better than Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel. Not as good as the Jordan dunk.

You should get a strike for feeling that way. lol

MOS is better than Avengers.

...........oh yea to be politically correct

huge sigh......

In my opinion.

4 out 5 is on par with Iron Man 1 or Dark Knight so no offense I think giving this a 4 I would strongly disagree with after I see this pointless movie on red box.

is there an "ignore" function that only ignores the poster when movies are discussed?

4 out of 5, better than Iron Man 3 or Man of Steel. Not as good as the Jordan dunk.

huge sigh......

In my opinion.

4 out 5 is on par with Iron Man 1 or Dark Knight so no offense I think giving this a 4 I would strongly disagree with after I see this pointless movie on red box.

is there an "ignore" function that only ignores the poster when movies are discussed?

SoT has made me wish for that feature as well. :makepoint:

huge sigh......

In my opinion.

If there were, I would have Beta-tested it on Casey years ago.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

So what was your best part of the movie??

Mine were the train battle and the part where wolvie throws Marikos husband outta window Ha that was hysterical.. Wish there were more scenes like that (ala Hulk scenes from Avengers)

Regarding Jean.. I honestly didnt even know it was her up until my niece told me that she thinks that is Jean Grey from the Xmen movie DUH! I seriously thought it was a woman he was in love with that will be revealed as the movie progressed.

Regarding Jean.. I honestly didnt even know it was her up until my niece told me that she thinks that is Jean Grey from the Xmen movie DUH! I seriously thought it was a woman he was in love with that will be revealed as the movie progressed.

I think I'd spot someone as hot, strong, and sensual as Famke Janssen from a freaking airplane. :luhv:

Bond-Girls---Famke-Janssen-jpg.jpg

famke-janssen-xenia-onatopp1.jpg

huge sigh......

In my opinion.

SoT has made me wish for that feature as well. :makepoint:

and i hate feeling that way about someone who has "spiderman" in their name.