• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay help - received damaged comic (ASM 129)

111 posts in this topic

Yes you are right I didn't show the small amount of bubble wrap that was around the two flimsy pieces of cardboard in a bubble mailer. I'm a collector too and I would NEVER ship a comic or anything the way you did.

Get your popcorn ready! :popcorn:

Maybe this should be resolved in a PM (shrug)

Yes you are right I didn't show the small amount of bubble wrap that was around the two flimsy pieces of cardboard in a bubble mailer. I'm a collector too and I would NEVER ship a comic or anything the way you did.

(tsk)

No way! It's Friday. Break out the :popcorn:

My 2c

Comics need to be mailed between STURDY pieces of cardboard. Key word being STURDY. It's your responsibility as a seller to pack the book safe enough to travel. If you don't have sturdy cardboard get a box. Seller is in the wrong.

To the buyer. Stop being so wishy washy. The idea of trying to feel out a seller to see what they will offer to make right is over. It didn't work. Move on. If you want a partial refund be direct and ask for a specific amount you think is fair. Don't wait for an offer from him. It's time to decide. If he says no, open a case with eBay and return it for a full refund. Period.

less :gossip:

more :slapfight:

I'm going to settle this with him off of the boards. I'm not trying to be wishy washy I was contacting the seller and giving him to opportunity to make this right. It's obvious by his post and the responses I received from him via eBay message that he is not willing to cooperate.

OK next is the insurance.....The book was FULLY insured for $129.99 which is what you paid for it. Unfortunately, our glorious Postal System isn't so glorious after all as they damaged your comic that I sent to you.

Not to belabor the point, but just to echo the others who have said this already (so that you know its true).

When the seller purchases the insurance, the seller is the one who is able to open a claim against the insurance.

Similarly if a book is lost, the sender/seller is the one who is able to open the case to have USPS search for the book and/or investigate.

And until the transaction is complete, the book is not the buyers (I notice you specifically call it "your" comic when you wrote to the buyer). And since the conditions of the transaction is the item is delivered as stated/described, if those terms arent met the transaction is not complete and the book is still yours, you the seller. Another reason why you are the right one to open the insurance claim.

In terms of your shipping method. Sending something that has value associated with condition in a non-firm package (i.e. bubble mailed, manilia envelope, etc) has risk associated with it. That is why many people here use boxes exclusively. USPS has a wide array of machines (or torture devices) that process parcels, and envelopes/soft mailers can potentially end up going thru a roller type sorter that does bend the envelopes. Thats to say nothing of the people, who have varying levels of concern about the condition of your envelope. Think of how easy it is to bend that cut pieces of USPS cardboard. Is that firm enough to ensure that the envelope is not bent? No. There are other materials that some (here on the boards even) use to strengthen their flat mailers, so much so that their books typically arrive unscathed (Dr Balls is famous for his packaging), but even then its not a sure thing. Heck boxes arent a sure thing either. Thats why you bought insurance. Use it.

but that point is moot. The end point is: Seller believes the book is now no longer VG as described/sold. Should the seller ask for a refund, you give it to him/her. Its covered under your 14 day return policy, and under ebay & paypal return/refund policies.

Look at the upside. You sold it as a VG, which was maybe a little undergraded. Get USPS to reimburse you, use some of that to get the book pressed and get it back to the VG (or maybe even a little better) state, and resell the book. You'll probably end up breaking even or better, and only being out the time.

To clear the air...I was the postal worker who damaged the comic. I guess my concentration wandered and I dropped the package when this really hot co-worker walked by. I am very sorry about it getting damaged, but the package was insured, and I am just a male of the species reacting instinctively.

That being said, I would never pack a single comic unless it is between 2 very sturdy pieces of cardboard. The worst thing is to have a comic package that is too flexible...it is an invitation to spine disaster.

To clear the air...I was the postal worker who damaged the comic. I guess my concentration wandered and I dropped the package when this really hot co-worker walked by. I am very sorry about it getting damaged, but the package was insured, and I am just a male of the species reacting instinctively.

That being said, I would never pack a single comic unless it is between 2 very sturdy pieces of cardboard. The worst thing is to have a comic package that is too flexible...it is an invitation to spine disaster.

To clear the air...I was the two pieces of cardboard. I had a moment of weakness when this knuckle head dropped me. The few sheets of bubble wrap that I was encased within were no match for the pavement.

That being said, I would use kryptonite, thin sheets of titanium alloy and a lead briefcase to ship comics. Anything less and you are just opening yourself up to instances where the scammers buyers on eBay can hold you hostage for partial refunds with implied threats of negative feedback be unhappy with you.

To clear the air...I was the two pieces of cardboard. I had a moment of weakness when this knuckle head dropped me. The few sheets of bubble wrap that I was encased within were no match for the pavement.

That being said, I would use kryptonite, thin sheets of titanium alloy and a lead briefcase to ship comics. Anything less and you are just opening yourself up to instances where the scammers buyers on eBay can hold you hostage for partial refunds with implied threats of negative feedback be unhappy with you.

to clear the air that others have cleared I was the mysterious not-photoed bubble wrap. I too am not happy with how this went. Cardboard, we spent so much time together during transit, and I haven't heard from you in days! I tried texting you, but I guess the number you gave me was wrong (maybe you wrote it down wrong?) I thought we had something special going, but now I dont know, Im kind of feeling used.

You arent hanging out with that Frank Castle guy who was pressed up against you all week are you? He cant take care of you the way I would baby. Seriously text me. I tried to look you up on facebook, but there's lots of "Cardboard" accounts out there, so look me up. Im the only "Overly Attached Bubble Wrap" out there.

I cant believe I let you pop those bubbles. It was definitely a crazy weekend...

Comics need to be mailed between STURDY pieces of cardboard. Key word being STURDY. It's your responsibility as a seller to pack the book safe enough to travel. If you don't have sturdy cardboard get a box. Seller is in the wrong.

+1

This is exactly what that Sixth Gun book I received in April looked like...comic and cardboard together had a double fold running through them. The white Priority Mail box cardboard has horizontal score lines running through it and can be folded with minimal pressure. Bubble wrap or a bubble mailer isn't going to prevent this.

+1

This is exactly what that Sixth Gun book I received in April looked like...comic and cardboard together had a double fold running through them. The white Priority Mail box cardboard has horizontal score lines running through it and can be folded with minimal pressure. Bubble wrap or a bubble mailer isn't going to prevent this.

Did the seller work with you to resolve the issue? Did you keep the book?

So how much did you really save by not using a box? Can you really justify mailing a $130 comic like that? Bubble mailier with flimsy cardboard and bubble wrap just is not going to cut it. Hopefully the insurance will not pay for your negligence

Sounds like an upsell from the guy who's user name is 'Postal'... hm

OK next is the insurance.....The book was FULLY insured for $129.99 which is what you paid for it. Unfortunately, our glorious Postal System isn't so glorious after all as they damaged your comic that I sent to you.

Not to belabor the point, but just to echo the others who have said this already (so that you know its true).

When the seller purchases the insurance, the seller is the one who is able to open a claim against the insurance.

Similarly if a book is lost, the sender/seller is the one who is able to open the case to have USPS search for the book and/or investigate.

And until the transaction is complete, the book is not the buyers (I notice you specifically call it "your" comic when you wrote to the buyer). And since the conditions of the transaction is the item is delivered as stated/described, if those terms arent met the transaction is not complete and the book is still yours, you the seller. Another reason why you are the right one to open the insurance claim.

It's part of the risk of being a seller - you have to accept more responsibility in dealings as the price for being professional. Sometimes it sucks and sometimes it takes more time than it's worth - but that is what people expect. I buy AND sell, and I treat buyers the way I would expect to be treated.

Sounds like the seller is not trying to weasel out of anything, but it does sound like he might need to take his service to the next step and handle things for his buyer. I won't fault him for thinking the buyer has some responsibility (even when they don't) good sellers have to start somewhere.

+1

Did the seller work with you to resolve the issue? Did you keep the book?

Rather a long story, but short version is yep, I kept the book and with some back and forth we worked out a partial refund.

WOW! Thanks to all the cast members who made this a 5 star thread!

To summarize:

1. The OP- started a thread thinking most collectors here would sympathize with his case, got carried away and thought he could openly state that he wants to keep a book and bribe the seller for some money.

2. The seller- did good by his customer, insured the package and packaged the book nicely but didnt go the extra mile, he then heard from the buyer and thought, "hmm, here's another one who's gonna bit*h about some comic book I sold him, hey listen - deal with the insurance company and get off my back!"

3. The replies kept on coming some siding with the buyer, some with the seller.

4. Jesus asked for forgiveness from god

5. God admitted there was alcohol at play.

6. Shortly after revealing the seller's identity in public, a snitch wrote to the seller and informed him of this thread's existence.

7. "Luke, let me clear the air - I am your father!" (at this point I pulled the car over, and yes, I was late to work)

8. The seller then spent more time replying to the buyer than he ever did to any of his buyers (instead of spending the same time with eBay reporting the buyer's complaints on this forum, AND IM GLAD HE DIDNT!)

9. The buyer went ahead and dealt with the seller in private working out a deal which couldve been done before the start of this thread.

Seriously, this is better than any reality show you will ever see on cable TV...

WHERE ARE THE F**ING SPONSORS????