• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Web Board Decorum on Purchases

32 posts in this topic

I am just asking this to get a feeling of how others view transactions with their fellow board members. How long after a purchase is made with a board member is it OK to start worrying a little bit about receiving said purchase? If you made a purchase and then 1 week later asked for any kind of shipping information only to get no response though it shows the PM was read, would you feel a little apprehensive? How about after 2 weeks and you have sent the seller a personal email asking the same question, only to get no response? I know we don't all view the boards every single day and I know we all have lives outside the CGC boards so I didn't want to "jump the gun"...so to speak. Thanks for any responses.

Most everyone I've bought from or sold to has gotten me the tracking almost immediately after printing the label. If it was longer, the seller explained the hold-up and when I could expect the item to be shipped.

In your situation, I would be agitated that the seller read the PM and didn't respond to give you tracking info or a reason for you not having the book already.

The fact that they have read, but not responded to your inquiries for weeks is unacceptable. Stuff happens, delays happen, that's life. To not send a message or reply to received messages is a complete jerk move.

Our fellow boardies are far better people than I because I would be well beyond "irritated" or "agitated" in the scenario you describe.

I am just asking this to get a feeling of how others view transactions with their fellow board members. How long after a purchase is made with a board member is it OK to start worrying a little bit about receiving said purchase? If you made a purchase and then 1 week later asked for any kind of shipping information only to get no response though it shows the PM was read, would you feel a little apprehensive? How about after 2 weeks and you have sent the seller a personal email asking the same question, only to get no response? I know we don't all view the boards every single day and I know we all have lives outside the CGC boards so I didn't want to "jump the gun"...so to speak. Thanks for any responses.

There's pretty good support here for stuff like this. Check out these three threads:

UPDATED PROBATION LIST ONLY - no discussions: Where we put up the names of people who are taking too long to complete transactions

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS: Where we discuss situations, before people are put on the list above

GENERAL DISCUSSION - keep the other threads clean: where we discuss general issues related to buying and selling on the boards

You are all just annoyed because this is someone that politely inquired about the culture of the board and how to best go about a concern rather than throw a glass jar full of acid at someone's face.

To the OP - well inquired. In another week I would contact someone in the thread and if you have not emailed that person directly through the paying paypal address I would do that too.

Find someone else in the thread and ask them if they got their stuff yet.

On rare ocassions when it's an issue - this is what I have done. I think it's a good way to get information without - as Buzz says - throwing acid in someone's face.

You honestly never know what's going on, so there's nothing wrong with a little discretion. I had a boardie not send me anything for several weeks - and when I got around to inquiring, I found out the poor guy had been murdered in his own house.

Thanks for all the information so far guys. The purchase was made via IM after the seller closed his sales thread. I have sent another board member a PM asking if he/she has received a book that I saw he/she had bought from seller in question. No response from him/her yet.

Thanks for all the information so far guys. The purchase was made via IM after the seller closed his sales thread. I have sent another board member a PM asking if he/she has received a book that I saw he/she had bought from seller in question. No response from him/her yet.

There's pretty good support here for stuff like this. Check out these three threads:

UPDATED PROBATION LIST ONLY - no discussions: Where we put up the names of people who are taking too long to complete transactions

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS: Where we discuss situations, before people are put on the list above

GENERAL DISCUSSION - keep the other threads clean: where we discuss general issues related to buying and selling on the boards

Seriously man, check out these threads. They're good to know about.

Well, I did receive a response from the person I PM'd about whether or not he got his/her book from said seller. He/she said he/she did and that the seller is a good guy who always comes through on deals. So for now, I trust his/her judgement. I just wish the seller would have responded to some of my IM, esp after seeing they were read.

Well, I did receive a response from the person I PM'd about whether or not he got his/her book from said seller. He/she said he/she did and that the seller is a good guy who always comes through on deals. So for now, I trust his/her judgement. I just wish the seller would have responded to some of my IM, esp after seeing they were read.

Good luck, that's good news!

excellent/her!!

Is this a purchase you made in a sales thread or in a PM?

Does it make a difference? I've made deals through PMs. Do they not follow board etiquette then?

Just curious...

I think they meant that if it was in a thread then there might be other buyers that the OP could have asked. I had someone respond to one of my WTB ads and I purchased something through IM. There was no FS thread to speak of.

At least that is what I think Pontoon meant.