• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Early Amazing AZ Comic Con Thread

181 posts in this topic

Never underestimate the draw of Bruce Campbell!

Thanks for the update Jimmy. I appreciate the efforts that you are making to ensure that this con remains comic focused. I think this con has potential to out draw the Phoenix con in a couple years.

RJ, I think when Jimmy said 50 booths, he was counting the dealers that had multiple booths. So, if I am reading it correctly, there will be around 20 comic dealers spread over 50 10x10 spaces.

I can't wait to see the list of new creators, last year was great even though Stan canceled. I know there is a wizard show the same weekend so I know there may be some competition for creators.

Mike- you are right with your counts.

As for comparing this show with phoenix, or a wizard show- we don't view ourselves as competition at all. More like apples and oranges. AMAZING COMIC CONVENTIONS are traditional "comic book conventions". Comic CREATORS are our headliners, not just a sliver of the greater landscape.

We don't get overly concerned with which events can draw out the most attendance- our events might be more specialized because we are so focussed on the comics first and foremost.

And while I'm completely biased in saying this, and my job as a promoter is to hype, but take a step back on this--

i don't think you get ANY BIGGER GUESTS than the comic personalities that we bring to our events, in each of our cities. Whether it was Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Stan Lee, BK Vaughn,Rob Liefeld in previous years- or Robert Kirkman of the Walking Dead and Geoff Johns of DC Comics- these guys are at the top of the game. Neither do many convention appearances, both have HUGE bodies of work, lots of key modern issues. Neither of these creators are scheduled to appear at what others on the board mentioned as "competitors" events.

Are there other great creators we would love to work with? absolutely. Is there competition for appearance dates with many convention choices? Absolutely. Will we keep signing the best, and most popular creators? You can count on it.

More names coming this next week.

More names coming when they make final commitments nd travel arrangements completed!

Never underestimate the draw of Bruce Campbell!

Thanks for the update Jimmy. I appreciate the efforts that you are making to ensure that this con remains comic focused. I think this con has potential to out draw the Phoenix con in a couple years.

RJ, I think when Jimmy said 50 booths, he was counting the dealers that had multiple booths. So, if I am reading it correctly, there will be around 20 comic dealers spread over 50 10x10 spaces.

I can't wait to see the list of new creators, last year was great even though Stan canceled. I know there is a wizard show the same weekend so I know there may be some competition for creators.

Maybe I'm getting my hopes up, but that sounds like more dealers (and comic space) than past cons I've attended in the Phoenix area. Regardless, I'm going to go this year since I didn't attend any of the Phoenix cons last year. I just need to find out which of my kids are going with me. And I am curious if my bro Brian is wanting to tag along. :grin:

Which day Sat or Sun?

I'm open. Regardless of which day we pick, one of my kids will have something going on. So, I'll just pick a day and let the wife know I won't be able to attend whatever event the kids have that weekend. :grin:

Are you going for the comics or the talent? If you are going for the talent, you might want to choose the day that will have whoever it is you want to see.

Mike- you are right with your counts.

As for comparing this show with phoenix, or a wizard show- we don't view ourselves as competition at all. More like apples and oranges. AMAZING COMIC CONVENTIONS are traditional "comic book conventions". Comic CREATORS are our headliners, not just a sliver of the greater landscape.

We don't get overly concerned with which events can draw out the most attendance- our events might be more specialized because we are so focussed on the comics first and foremost.

And while I'm completely biased in saying this, and my job as a promoter is to hype, but take a step back on this--

i don't think you get ANY BIGGER GUESTS than the comic personalities that we bring to our events, in each of our cities. Whether it was Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Stan Lee, BK Vaughn,Rob Liefeld in previous years- or Robert Kirkman of the Walking Dead and Geoff Johns of DC Comics- these guys are at the top of the game. Neither do many convention appearances, both have HUGE bodies of work, lots of key modern issues. Neither of these creators are scheduled to appear at what others on the board mentioned as "competitors" events.

Are there other great creators we would love to work with? absolutely. Is there competition for appearance dates with many convention choices? Absolutely. Will we keep signing the best, and most popular creators? You can count on it.

More names coming this next week.

More names coming when they make final commitments nd travel arrangements completed!

You put on a great show Jimmy. I know we all appreciate that you keep the comic focus! I'm excited for this one.

Last year's amazing comic con was my very first comic book convention (I've only collected seriously for 1.5 years) and I had a good time. Despite Stan canceling, there were the plenty of other things that kept my interest.

With that said, I was very disappointed with the number of comic book dealers. While there may have been a few dozen dealers, I was not interested in doing buiseness with most. Many dealers were modern books only and then most of the silver/bronze dealers had ridiculous prices (which is a topic for a different conversation). As a result, I only did business with 2 or 3 dealers. While I want to support local shows, its very difficult to justify the price. Im still on the fence abouy going this year. If the tickets can be had at a discount on groupon or if the final guest list includes someone who sparks my interest, then I will definitely go. My wife seemed pretty interested in going with me this year (and she doesn't like comic books) so I may end up going regardless.

Last year's amazing comic con was my very first comic book convention (I've only collected seriously for 1.5 years) and I had a good time. Despite Stan canceling, there were the plenty of other things that kept my interest.

With that said, I was very disappointed with the number of comic book dealers. While there may have been a few dozen dealers, I was not interested in doing buiseness with most. Many dealers were modern books only and then most of the silver/bronze dealers had ridiculous prices (which is a topic for a different conversation). As a result, I only did business with 2 or 3 dealers. While I want to support local shows, its very difficult to justify the price. Im still on the fence abouy going this year. If the tickets can be had at a discount on groupon or if the final guest list includes someone who sparks my interest, then I will definitely go. My wife seemed pretty interested in going with me this year (and she doesn't like comic books) so I may end up going regardless.

What type of books were you looking for? Ed had some nice silver/bronze keys at excellent prices (he sold a Hulk 1 at what I considered to be a steal) and tons of bargain books. I did notice a couple of vendors had keys priced high and a lot of the modern stuff was high. However, this is true with any con, dealers all price differently but there are always bargains somewhere. I thought Harley had some nice GA and his prices after negotiation were surprisingly reasonable. I'm usually willing to pay a bit more at a con where I can hold and inspect a book than I will online unless its a well trusted source.

I know for a fact that there will be bargains this year, I have a lot of new stuff and I will be blowing stuff out, if I can get it all sorted in time.

As of now there isn't any talent I care to see there. so the day doesn't matter. I will have the girls tagging along with me. Sophie is actually excited she loves going to cons

Hey Brian :hi: long time no see. I haven't met your brother but make sure you guys come by and introduce him. Let me know if you guys are looking for anything specific and I'll see what I have. Are your kids into anything? I'm going to try to bring more kids books this year. Have you picked up any more painted magazine covers?

There are so many points in this thread that it is hard to know where to start; however, that never stops me from trying.

There is a bit of the "chicken or the egg" in terms of more comic dealers in my opinion. As I mentioned, I have been exhibiting at both of these Cons from or close to their inceptions. In both instances, when they were in Mesa, there were plenty of California (and Harley) dealers who all brought nice books; however, their sales were so bad that most of them stopped coming or cut back on their presence. While I did well, I know that the number of buyers was not that good.

To me, this is the paradox as to which needs to happen first, more dealers or more buyers. What I have seen each year are attendees that seem to be more interested in browsing or talking but when asked what they are looking for, the answer is more often than not "oh, I am just looking or nothing really". I also ask for want lists for these Cons as well as Long Beach with the commitment that I will pull books for anyone before the show. In roughly, 25 Cons over 8 years, I have maybe had 6-8 replies and those are for a handful of books at best.

Finally, I bring some very nice books to these shows that, as a life-long collector, I would appreciate seeing and most are at very reasonable prices (but almost always still willing to discount further). For this Con, I will have three booths (Mike will have the fourth) that will be crammed with books at all prices ranges, genres, and age categories. I am still sorting but plan to have 50 LBs of $1 Bronze and Copper, 12-15 LBs of $2 same with a little SA; 8-10 LBs of $5 & 10; 15-20 sets and runs of SA to Moderns and 20-25 priced and half priced mostly SA and Bronze with some GA. I will also have 4-5 CGC boxes full of nice graded books and 5-7 GA-BA priced at $75 to approximately $700 each. My best CGC books will be FF1-6.0, ASM 1- 5.0, DD 1- 5.0, IM 1 -9.2 & 6.5; GSX 1- 9.4; X-men 94- 9.0, ASM 2- 8.0 but I have many others as well.

My point is that there will be lots of nice books at the show whether there are a few dealers or many. Whether they return or not is largely dependent on how their sales go. Perhaps the way to get more dealers at the shows is to have the word get out that Phoenix is a great location to sell books by attending and purchasing from the dealers who will be here in 2014. I have talked to many collectors who attend the really big shows (San Diego, Chicago, New York, and Baltimore to name a few) stating there are great books everywhere but the prices are too high.

The reality is that there is no perfect world, especially when it comes to comics, but this one is mine (and the other dealers who exhibit) for now so help me (us) make it work for you so these Cons flourish for years to come.

Sorry for the long rant, but there are many cities that would love to have one Con to attend and we have two pretty good ones right here. Now get busy and send Mike and me your want lists and buy tickets to Amazing ComicCon (and Phoenix Con in June)! :headbang:

Ed

What type of books were you looking for? Ed had some nice silver/bronze keys at excellent prices (he sold a Hulk 1 at what I considered to be a steal) and tons of bargain books. I did notice a couple of vendors had keys priced high and a lot of the modern stuff was high. However, this is true with any con, dealers all price differently but there are always bargains somewhere. I thought Harley had some nice GA and his prices after negotiation were surprisingly reasonable. I'm usually willing to pay a bit more at a con where I can hold and inspect a book than I will online unless its a well trusted source.

I know for a fact that there will be bargains this year, I have a lot of new stuff and I will be blowing stuff out, if I can get it all sorted in time.

I was looking mostly for Silver and Bronze keys. Ed always has some nice books indeed. The thing is, I usually hit him up a few times a year (or month sometimes heh) since I live somewhat close to him. Because of that, there were really only 2 dealers that I didn't have regular access to and that also had somewhat decent prices. I believe you were one of the other 2 dealers i bought from as well.

I agree with your point about paying a little more when you can actually hold a book before purchasing but some of the dealers were looking for 25%+ GPA highs on cgc books and cgc prices on raw books. Another thing is that the some of the dealers had truly horrible personalities and people skills. They would immediately act snobby when I asked about their books. I wish more dealers were like Ed. There's obviously not much I can do about this problem other than to vent my feelings with my peers.

Again, I'm leaning more and more towards going because I do want to support our local comic book community but I hope its better than last year.

And yes-i wish we had a dozen people just like Ed, and mike to attend our show too- they are early people to reserve booths, they bring great stuff, and fans seem to dig them. There will be a few dealers that this will be their first time exhibiting in Phoenix, that fit your criteria, so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Jimmy

As of now there isn't any talent I care to see there. so the day doesn't matter. I will have the girls tagging along with me. Sophie is actually excited she loves going to cons

Hey Brian :hi: long time no see. I haven't met your brother but make sure you guys come by and introduce him. Let me know if you guys are looking for anything specific and I'll see what I have. Are your kids into anything? I'm going to try to bring more kids books this year. Have you picked up any more painted magazine covers?

Will do. I only have 5 magazine covers and a Twilight Zone painted cover along with a few other things. No seems to want to cut their covers loose. My youngest likes Wonder Woman and other girly books. I mainly want to see your BA Marvel mags.

There are so many points in this thread that it is hard to know where to start; however, that never stops me from trying.

There is a bit of the "chicken or the egg" in terms of more comic dealers in my opinion. As I mentioned, I have been exhibiting at both of these Cons from or close to their inceptions. In both instances, when they were in Mesa, there were plenty of California (and Harley) dealers who all brought nice books; however, their sales were so bad that most of them stopped coming or cut back on their presence. While I did well, I know that the number of buyers was not that good.

To me, this is the paradox as to which needs to happen first, more dealers or more buyers. What I have seen each year are attendees that seem to be more interested in browsing or talking but when asked what they are looking for, the answer is more often than not "oh, I am just looking or nothing really". I also ask for want lists for these Cons as well as Long Beach with the commitment that I will pull books for anyone before the show. In roughly, 25 Cons over 8 years, I have maybe had 6-8 replies and those are for a handful of books at best.

Finally, I bring some very nice books to these shows that, as a life-long collector, I would appreciate seeing and most are at very reasonable prices (but almost always still willing to discount further). For this Con, I will have three booths (Mike will have the fourth) that will be crammed with books at all prices ranges, genres, and age categories. I am still sorting but plan to have 50 LBs of $1 Bronze and Copper, 12-15 LBs of $2 same with a little SA; 8-10 LBs of $5 & 10; 15-20 sets and runs of SA to Moderns and 20-25 priced and half priced mostly SA and Bronze with some GA. I will also have 4-5 CGC boxes full of nice graded books and 5-7 GA-BA priced at $75 to approximately $700 each. My best CGC books will be FF1-6.0, ASM 1- 5.0, DD 1- 5.0, IM 1 -9.2 & 6.5; GSX 1- 9.4; X-men 94- 9.0, ASM 2- 8.0 but I have many others as well.

My point is that there will be lots of nice books at the show whether there are a few dealers or many. Whether they return or not is largely dependent on how their sales go. Perhaps the way to get more dealers at the shows is to have the word get out that Phoenix is a great location to sell books by attending and purchasing from the dealers who will be here in 2014. I have talked to many collectors who attend the really big shows (San Diego, Chicago, New York, and Baltimore to name a few) stating there are great books everywhere but the prices are too high.

The reality is that there is no perfect world, especially when it comes to comics, but this one is mine (and the other dealers who exhibit) for now so help me (us) make it work for you so these Cons flourish for years to come.

Sorry for the long rant, but there are many cities that would love to have one Con to attend and we have two pretty good ones right here. Now get busy and send Mike and me your want lists and buy tickets to Amazing ComicCon (and Phoenix Con in June)! :headbang:

Ed

FF 1 ? I need a new one. I miss my old one terribly.

Ed

Sell some of the OA junk and step up to the "hire rise" district. :baiting:

Give me a call and we can work something out. CGC 6.0 OW/W :cloud9:

Ed

I know Ken at Drawn to Comics has one that he is hiding and might sell and All About Books and Comics seems to have a vault with everything.

Ed

I know Ken at Drawn to Comics has one that he is hiding and might sell and All About Books and Comics seems to have a vault with everything.

I know Ed has one he is displaying and will sell :baiting:

BTW what's the deal with AAB&C? For years they never had anything and then all of a sudden the last 2-3 times I have stopped in they have dozens of good books?