• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are going to sell books to other boardies...

355 posts in this topic

Comicalgems suggested I post my packaging method in Boozad's "How to..." thread. I'll try to (finally) do that this weekend.

It's a lot of work, perhaps, but IMHO not even the chicks in The Cars' "Shake It Up" video could damage the books I ship :cool:

Everyone makes a mistake. Give the seller the courtesy to make it right and learn his/her lesson.

No need to be vindictive and embarrass the seller if they are willing to make it right.

I've received damaged books with even the best packaging (two USPS boxes). I didn't out the seller then...I contacted them and they corrected the problem.

If it's a repeated issue then sure, name the seller. But giving someone the benefit of the doubt is the most mature decision.

Good luck

If they are packaged properly and are still damaged because of how the delivery person handles the package, that's a different story, then yes contact the seller privately.

Shipping books that look like they do in the picture is unacceptable.

To the OP: If you don't want to out the seller could you send me a PM on who it was

I had a similar experience with a new member a few months ago. The books were just readers, but he packaged them horribly. He had even asked how I wanted them shipped and I asked for a box. Then he shipped them in an envelope very poorly. I sort of let him have it and left it at that. I've never seen him sell again. From talking to him, it sounded like he had a lot of trouble figuring out how to pack books.

If the person who sold you those books is a regular seller, you should out him.

He has been here a long time, Ill shoot him an email and see what he wants to do before I out him. But people need to be a little more careful.

What does the seller need to do in this situation? Was anything damaged? I understand informing the seller that future shipments are less likely to get damaged from proper shipping but you indicated that nothing was damaged. What explanation from the seller is needed in order for you not to "out him"?

For example, Louise is the sweetest thing in the world and wouldn't harm a fly (or anyone's comics) but I'm betting she wouldn't be able to package a comic adequately unless I walked her through it - even though all I talk about is comics with her. Some people are just not technical in the way they approach things.

If they don't know better then what does spanking them in front of the class do except embarrass them? If the shoe was on the other food and YOU were the person who did something wrong but didn't realize it wouldn't you appreciate being told first before finding out about it on the internet?

Come on, Roy - that's a load of crock and you know it. We're not talking in generalities here - we're discussing a very specific situation that's directly related to a business transaction in a specialized field.

If you don't know how to package comics so they aren't damaged during shipping, you shouldn't be selling easily-damaged collectibles online. Period.

It depends on who is selling, doesn't it? It's a big world out there.

I've gotten packages from full time dealers that look like they've been packaged by a 12 year old kid.

You should feel guilty for not alerting the community to these rotten eggs.

Not everyone is a certified collectibles seller and even less people actually know how to package well. Most people are just collectors looking to raise a few bucks and the packaging is secondary.

If packaging is secondary then they definitely deserve threads like this.

I've had so many poorly packaged boxes from sellers over the past 10 years that if I got upset every time I wouldn't have any nerves left.

That's why this thread is invaluable. It raises awareness.

So you don't think threads like this should be posted, but you think threads like this are invaluable when posted? (shrug)

Or do you mean it's alright to post these kinds of threads after the dealer has been contacted? If this was my box, I don't care if the dealer "made it right" with me or not, they'd still get a thread.

In this particular thread, I didn't realize it was a long time selling board member when I originally posted what I did, so I now understand the reason for posting the thread

(thumbs u

- but in most cases I'll give the benefit of the doubt first, only because I'd want it that way from someone else.

Roy's real motivation for posting in threads like these - "don't say anything bad about me until I at least have a chance to talk you out of it" lol

It's Friday :banana:

Everyone makes a mistake. Give the seller the courtesy to make it right and learn his/her lesson.

No need to be vindictive and embarrass the seller if they are willing to make it right.

I've received damaged books with even the best packaging (two USPS boxes). I didn't out the seller then...I contacted them and they corrected the problem.

If it's a repeated issue then sure, name the seller. But giving someone the benefit of the doubt is the most mature decision.

Good luck

If they are packaged properly and are still damaged because of how the delivery person handles the package, that's a different story, then yes contact the seller privately.

To the OP: If you don't want to out the seller could you send me a PM on who it was

Yes, shipping the books like that is unacceptable. Blasting the seller without giving an opportunity to make it right is also unacceptable.

Nobody is perfect here. Yes, it was a lazy packing job. It should have been done better. If the seller refunded the buyer and took the books back...is that not a reasonable solution?

I received a box from a comic store of 25 NM+ walking deads. They were shipped from far away and not packaged well at all. Nearly all 25 comics were damaged.

I didn't out the comic shop here. I contacted them, let them know of the issue, sent pictures and they refunded me 100% plus shipping back to them.

When I shipped the books back to them...I packed them correctly with cardboard and bubble wrap. I sent a note saying that this is the proper way to package comics and they should do it this way from now on. The shop owner called me and thanked me.

Not everything is a nefarious situation. Give the seller a chance to do the right thing before going off on him.

Good luck

Yes, shipping the books like that is unacceptable. Blasting the seller without giving an opportunity to make it right is also unacceptable.

Nobody is perfect here. Yes, it was a lazy packing job. It should have been done better. If the seller refunded the buyer and took the books back...is that not a reasonable solution?

I received a box from a comic store of 25 NM+ walking deads. They were shipped from far away and not packaged well at all. Nearly all 25 comics were damaged.

I didn't out the comic shop here. I contacted them, let them know of the issue, sent pictures and they refunded me 100% plus shipping back to them.

When I shipped the books back to them...I packed them correctly with cardboard and bubble wrap. I sent a note saying that this is the proper way to package comics and they should do it this way from now on. The shop owner called me and thanked me.

Not everything is a nefarious situation. Give the seller a chance to do the right thing before going off on him.

I am still curious what the seller needs to do in this situation? Were any books damaged? Is giving the seller a chance to do the right thing simply informing them of how to properly package future shipments? or is there a problem that can be remedied with the OP's shipment?

Roy's real motivation for posting in threads like these - "don't say anything bad about me until I at least have a chance to talk you out of it" lol

If this is Stu (and I think it is) I used to think you did it for fun but now I'm starting to think that you are completely incapable of communicating without making everything personal.

The main reason that any person should take their differences up with the other party in private first is because it's the right thing to do.

Some examples are clear cut but not all are and just assuming the other side is wrong without having all the facts can often turn out to be embarrassing for the OP, as it has happened in the past on here.

I ask again, what is the point of posting anything here? Is it to ruffle feathers and stir the pot to make this place exciting or is it to help people package books better? That answer will determine how someone goes about in dealing with the situation.

Some people don't think before they write though. :baiting:

Good luck

I am still curious what the seller needs to do in this situation? Were any books damaged? Is giving the seller a chance to do the right thing simply informing them of how to properly package future shipments? or is there a problem that can be remedied with the OP's shipment?

Exactly, were any books damaged? I can't see in the pics.

I think it's just common sense to pack stuff properly and many people are born without it.

Even with newcomers.......being "new" doesn't really fly with me unless the person is a complete noob or its a mother selling her son's comics.

I think it's just common sense to pack stuff properly and many people are born without it.

Even with newcomers.......being "new" doesn't really fly with me unless the person is a complete noob or its a mother selling her son's comics.

Something is wrong with your funny mags.....!? (shrug)

polls_shocked20old20lady20edited_3917_361299_answer_2_xlarge.png

Even if it is a single book...double box. Boxes are free and saves lots of headaches.

Amen.

My shipping safety paranoia is one reason I'd never make it running a large shipping operation.

I place the slab inside a bubble mailer, wrap the bubble mailer in bubble wrap then place that inside a box. Then I fill the space around the book with packing peanuts. Then I place that box inside a larger box and make sure the extra space at the top and bottom are filled with packing peanuts. Then I use filament strapping tape to seal the outer box.

It's a little OCD. lol

This thread is officially the Miley Cirus of the comic book world.

Pretty soon there's going to be a phrase: "this thread has been Miley'd"