• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you are going to sell books to other boardies...

355 posts in this topic

You absolutely did the right thing. The only thing you've done wrong so far is not name names. Why would you need to contact the seller first, how is that going to change the horrible packing job? Ignore that advice.

You seem to know a lot about how to do things on here with only a few posts. WTTB's.

Here's what I look like when trying to open a Dr X package...

jICHtv1Jd4Q.jpg

But the books are safe and sound, even after you jack hammer them out.

You absolutely did the right thing. The only thing you've done wrong so far is not name names. Why would you need to contact the seller first, how is that going to change the horrible packing job? Ignore that advice.

You seem to know a lot about how to do things on here with only a few posts. WTTB's.

Here's what I look like when trying to open a Dr X package...

jICHtv1Jd4Q.jpg

But the books are safe and sound, even after you jack hammer them out.

The only way the post office can damage a Dr X package is by running over it, multiple times, with a truck full of mail.

Shouldn't contact have been made with the seller before sounding the call for everyone to get their torches?

What call? I only posted to make people more aware and careful. Attention does need to brought to something like this.

It doesn't take much time to carefully package a few books versus throwing them in a box loose with little packing material.

I have not outed the seller publicly nor will I at this point, if he want's to come forward he can. It wasn't a noob but someone who should know better.

I think you've done the right thing. The seller would probably just ship that way again without getting the semi-public admonishment.

I guess that just depends on what you're trying to achieve.

The thread is a terrific idea to raise awareness and spread the word, and hopefully the person who packaged that box sees it but I find it disconcerting how quick people are to want to burn someone at the stake. Aren't people innocent until proven guilty?

Sure he just put the comics in the box with minimal bubblewrap, and to most of us it's absolutely horrific to look at but there are people who genuinely don't know any better.

For example, Louise is the sweetest thing in the world and wouldn't harm a fly (or anyone's comics) but I'm betting she wouldn't be able to package a comic adequately unless I walked her through it - even though all I talk about is comics with her. Some people are just not technical in the way they approach things.

If they don't know better then what does spanking them in front of the class do except embarrass them? If the shoe was on the other food and YOU were the person who did something wrong but didn't realize it wouldn't you appreciate being told first before finding out about it on the internet?

Now if it's someone who is knowingly neglecting to do a better job, then outing them is the right thing to do. They obviously know better but refuse to do it. I'd be all over that too.

Shouldn't contact have been made with the seller before sounding the call for everyone to get their torches?

What call? I only posted to make people more aware and careful. Attention does need to brought to something like this.

It doesn't take much time to carefully package a few books versus throwing them in a box loose with little packing material.

I have not outed the seller publicly nor will I at this point, if he want's to come forward he can. It wasn't a noob but someone who should know better.

I think you've done the right thing. The seller would probably just ship that way again without getting the semi-public admonishment.

I guess that just depends on what you're trying to achieve.

The thread is a terrific idea to raise awareness and spread the word, and hopefully the person who packaged that box sees it but I find it disconcerting how quick people are to want to burn someone at the stake. Aren't people innocent until proven guilty?

Sure he just put the comics in the box with minimal bubblewrap, and to most of us it's absolutely horrific to look at but there are people who genuinely don't know any better.

For example, Louise is the sweetest thing in the world and wouldn't harm a fly (or anyone's comics) but I'm betting she wouldn't be able to package a comic adequately unless I walked her through it - even though all I talk about is comics with her. Some people are just not technical in the way they approach things.

If they don't know better then what does spanking them in front of the class do except embarrass them? If the shoe was on the other food and YOU were the person who did something wrong but didn't realize it wouldn't you appreciate being told first before finding out about it on the internet?

Now if it's someone who is knowingly neglecting to do a better job, then outing them is the right thing to do. They obviously know better but refuse to do it. I'd be all over that too.

(thumbs u

Come on, Roy - that's a load of crock and you know it. We're not talking in generalities here - we're discussing a very specific situation that's directly related to a business transaction in a specialized field.

If you don't know how to package comics so they aren't damaged during shipping, you shouldn't be selling easily-damaged collectibles online. Period.

Come on, Roy - that's a load of crock and you know it. We're not talking in generalities here - we're discussing a very specific situation that's directly related to a business transaction in a specialized field.

If you don't know how to package comics so they aren't damaged during shipping, you shouldn't be selling easily-damaged collectibles online. Period.

It depends on who is selling, doesn't it? It's a big world out there.

I've gotten packages from full time dealers that look like they've been packaged by a 12 year old kid. Not everyone is a certified collectibles seller and even less people actually know how to package well. Most people are just collectors looking to raise a few bucks and the packaging is secondary.

I've had so many poorly packaged boxes from sellers over the past 10 years that if I got upset every time I wouldn't have any nerves left.

That's why this thread is invaluable. It raises awareness.

In this particular thread, I didn't realize it was a long time selling board member when I originally posted what I did, so I now understand the reason for posting the thread - but in most cases I'll give the benefit of the doubt first, only because I'd want it that way from someone else.

Sorry, that's the way I feel about it.

I've gotten packages from full time dealers that look like they've been packaged by a 12 year old kid. Not everyone is a certified collectibles seller and even less people actually know how to package well. Most people are just collectors looking to raise a few bucks and the packaging is secondary.

I've had so many poorly packaged boxes from sellers over the past 10 years that if I got upset every time I wouldn't have any nerves left.

In this particular thread, I didn't realize it was a long time selling board member when I originally posted what I did, so I now understand the reason for posting the thread - but in most cases I'll give the benefit of the doubt first, only because I'd want it that way from someone else.

full time dealers or not, there is a sticky on the first page about shipping. everyday there is a thread about damaged books. if you are here and dont read those, you should be spanked.

full time dealers or not, there is a sticky on the first page about shipping. everyday there is a thread about damaged books. if you are here and dont read those, you should be spanked.

I agree that the evidence is damning... :eek:

I'm with you on this. I think more people are ignorant on how to package then lazy or cheap. And really the best way for them to learn is to be told - and to get returns of damaged items. When that happens (returns) it becomes in their best interest to learn how to package better.

I'm with you on this. I think more people are ignorant on how to package then lazy or cheap. And really the best way for them to learn is to be told - and to get returns of damaged items. When that happens (returns) it becomes in their best interest to learn how to package better.

So the people who charge $6 shipping for one book and send it media mail with shoddy packaging aren't worrying about their bottom line?

I've gotten bad packages from eBay but not here.

DRBALLSMETHOD.png

I've altered the method a little bit, but essentially the same as above. No damage yet. When I pack multiple comics, I tend to pack them in case they get re-routed through the Syrian post office.

Dr Balls does indeed pack it tight. Thank you Dr.

Please take the time to properly pack your mess... This isn't ebay :makepoint:

20130829_144314.jpg

screen cap

Wow.

At least they could have used some free priority envelopes.

Looks like about 16 books so 4 to a envelope.

Then rolled up newspaper to keep the envelopes from shifting around.

The corners of the books probably would have been saved.

I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I was a newcomer to buying and shipping raw books up until a couple of months ago (slabs were the only things I bought & sold online until then), and I have become much more knowledgeable in a short time.

However if this is a person who has been selling books for quite some time here then I don't see any excuse for packing it the way he did.

I would give a newcomer to selling a second chance, a veteran seller I would not.

Id like to know the name so I don't run into this problem if I make a purchase. I will avoid the seller. I've sold very few books on here but took the time to learn what I needed to, to do it right. If this person is new - then they should of done their homework first, if they are a veteran here, then I DEFINITELY want to avoid them.

Everyone makes a mistake. Give the seller the courtesy to make it right and learn his/her lesson.

No need to be vindictive and embarrass the seller if they are willing to make it right.

I've received damaged books with even the best packaging (two USPS boxes). I didn't out the seller then...I contacted them and they corrected the problem.

If it's a repeated issue then sure, name the seller. But giving someone the benefit of the doubt is the most mature decision.

Good luck