• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Villain Month 3D Covers

2,249 posts in this topic

Gotta start asking yourself where did they all go then? If 40 k were printed or more and midtown shops only had 20-30 something doesn't add up here.

why are you assuming there were 40k printed?

Isn't it based on previous title printed? And since its Batman they print 100,000 + of those ever month I assumed less than half of that, does anything think it was lower than 40 k printed on JD 3d?

I find it kindah funny how some folks are outraged that shops are pulling the hot ones off the rack and selling them for $20-$40 a pop.

So long as they are not sc*r*wing over a file cusomer who pre-ordered and shorting them (which would be a grievous sin), i see nothing wrong with that. they have no obligation to put a $40 book out on the rack at $3.99 so someone can rush in and buy up all the copies and make 10X the money. Am I happy if they don't and I can cash in? Sure. I just don't expect it.

is it bad business? i don't even think so. so long as they have a bunch of the 3D covers out there that might be getting $6-$10 on ebay at cover price I don't think anyone is going to hate them too much. my main shop had JD at $40 (and sold all their copies in a minute), but Bane 1, Doomsday, Riddler and some others at $3.99. A few of the 3Ds were at $6-$10.

I'm ready for this week. Mapped out 6 stores starting at 8 am to noon. Each store is timed for when the doors open. I haven't done anything like this since the early 90's. lol

Out of 5 stores I got 1 JD 3d. Today was a disaster. Every store had a line up of 20 people or more when I got there.

I find it kindah funny how some folks are outraged that shops are pulling the hot ones off the rack and selling them for $20-$40 a pop.

So long as they are not sc*r*wing over a file cusomer who pre-ordered and shorting them (which would be a grievous sin), i see nothing wrong with that. they have no obligation to put a $40 book out on the rack at $3.99 so someone can rush in and buy up all the copies and make 10X the money. Am I happy if they don't and I can cash in? Sure. I just don't expect it.

is it bad business? i don't even think so. so long as they have a bunch of the 3D covers out there that might be getting $6-$10 on ebay at cover price I don't think anyone is going to hate them too much. my main shop had JD at $40 (and sold all their copies in a minute), but Bane 1, Doomsday, Riddler and some others at $3.99. A few of the 3Ds were at $6-$10.

+1

After the experience last week at my LCS, I decided to go to one by my work this morning. They are supposed to open at 11am, got there at 10:45 and they're open. Go in and grab 7 different of the 3D cover still in stock. Apparently they opened at 9am for the buying frenzy. Well, happy I got at least 7 of them and one non-3D of JD (which the shop owner and employee where saying how bad this issue is). Think they were saying they might open early for the 13 cover Walking Dead release in 2 weeks.

Decided to order a set of the 2nd prints seeing as they are only sold in sets so that means they should be pretty scarce comparatively. Anyone else think so?

Shop this morning at around 10:45am:

Action Comics Mentallo

Green Lantern Sinestro

Aquaman Ocean Master

Wonder Woman First Born

Batman Bane

Batman Superman Doomsday

Justice League of America Black Adam

Shop I purchased from originally the previous weeks still had these when I stopped by after work at around 4:30pm:

From the Previous week they still had a stack of Batman Penguin (only previous 3D cover still in stock).

Superman Parasite (only had 1 left)

Batman Robin Killer Croc

Batman Bane

Batman Superman Doomsday

Justice League of America Black Adam

(guy recognized me from last weeks screw up and pulled these 3 from behind the counter, not on the shelves and asked if I wanted them.)

Aquaman Ocean Master

Wonder Woman First Born

Justice League Secret Society

Both had plenty of 2D JD also.

Exactly.

After the experience last week at my LCS, I decided to go to one by my work this morning. They are supposed to open at 11am, got there at 10:45 and they're open. Go in and grab 7 different of the 3D cover still in stock. Apparently they opened at 9am for the buying frenzy. Well, happy I got at least 7 of them and one non-3D of JD (which the shop owner and employee where saying how bad this issue is). Think they were saying they might open early for the 13 cover Walking Dead release in 2 weeks.

Decided to order a set of the 2nd prints seeing as they are only sold in sets so that means they should be pretty scarce comparatively. Anyone else think so?

Second prints should be scarcer, but also the craze will have died down by the time they are released. I say if it's for your collection, go for it! If it's speculation and for re-sell purposes... hm

I've had the same thought. I doubt any collectors will want to break up a set. And If there are any 2nd print variant covers...

Gotta start asking yourself where did they all go then? If 40 k were printed or more and midtown shops only had 20-30 something doesn't add up here.

why are you assuming there were 40k printed?

Isn't it based on previous title printed? And since its Batman they print 100,000 + of those ever month I assumed less than half of that, does anything think it was lower than 40 k printed on JD 3d?

Batman the Dark Knight has averaged 47K print run last 3 months (approx.)...

I must say I have enjoyed DC's 3D month. I liked the crowds and the buzz. Loved the covers and enjoyed most of the stories. Two stories I did not like, Reverse Flash and Shadow Thief.

I did not like them because they were so far away from the original and just not that good. I also do not like the Reverse Flash's secret identity of Iris West's brother.

compare to Doomsday, where Batman/superman has "averaged" 110K (about 140K of #1, and 87-92K of 2 and 3)...

that said, I got about 2.5 x the number of doomsdays vs Jokers daughter....

so that would lead me to believe that the ratio was "approx." accurate

I agree and have no problem with what somebody charges. That is happening here in town and I hold no ill will toward the shop that is profiting the most from this. I on the other hand have made the choice of going to the shop that took care of me for any future purchases that they can fill. I want to return the favor. I buy a small amount of new each month and a lot of older stuff locally so IMHO one shop was thinking of today and the other for tomorrow.

I will also go ahead and reveal my orders (I cut and pasted this right off the diamond retailer website), so you can get an idea of what I thought, as a retailer, vs what was shipped, allocated:

order code/description/quantity I ordered/quantity I was allocated/release date

JUL130196 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.4 JOKERS DAUGHTER 250 90 9/25/2013

JUL130195 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.3 CLAYFACE 200 145 9/18/2013

JUL130194 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.2 MR FREEZE 200 136 9/11/2013

JUL130193 BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #23.1 VENTRILOQUIST 225 142 9/4/2013

I will also go ahead and reveal my orders (I cut and pasted this right off the diamond retailer website), so you can get an idea of what I thought, as a retailer, vs what was shipped, allocated:

Is this a significant increase over what you would normally order on all of these titles ?

Is this a significant increase over what you would normally order on all of these titles ?

not really...we sell about 125 of batman the dark knight to subs and another 25+ off the shelf... I bumped the jokers daughter and the ventriloquist based on my sub orders being heavier for those 2, and anticipating more demand from non subs for these cool 3 d covers (novelty or impulse sale).. as it turned out, I was able to fill all sub orders except for the jokers daughter, but did fill with 2d which many of my readers were ok with/preferred ($1 cheaper...we cultivate readers in our store, more than "collectors")... I was able to buy enough 3d's from other sources to get a 3d to everyone of my preorders, and have 1 copy left over (which I am going to offer here to the boards soon)

but the Jokers daughter was the only 3d folks could not buy off the shelf for cover less discount...we did have plenty of 2d's for them though

Wonder why the allocation for JD is so much lower than the other titles (36% vs 72/68/63%). That seems weird. Diamond maybe (re)allocated bigger numbers to their top clients? (shrug)

not really...we sell about 125 of batman the dark knight to subs and another 25+ off the shelf... I bumped the jokers daughter and the ventriloquist based on my sub orders being heavier for those 2, and anticipating more demand from non subs for these cool 3 d covers (novelty or impulse sale).. as it turned out, I was able to fill all sub orders except for the jokers daughter, but did fill with 2d which many of my readers were ok with...

That is very interesting. I would think that DC would be like the rest of us in knowing that the JD hade big potential and would have printed more but that somewhere around 65-75 % was their magic number.