• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this true...DC wants fan art pictures of Harley Quinn ??

147 posts in this topic

DC has a contest wanting insane subject drawn by fans

Here is cut and pasted the article and a link to it..

Harley Fans asked to draw her naked and suicidal

"DC Comics isn't making any new fans this month: Last week, the editorial team responsible for Batwoman resigned after the comic book publisher refused to let them show their main character Kate Kane's long-awaited same-sex marriage on panel. And on Friday, just a few days shy of National Suicide Prevention Week, DC initiated a talent search asking aspiring artists to submit drawings of villainess Harley Quinn, naked and taking her own life.

The obvious discrepancy is glaring to some fans: Same-sex marriage for a character who's long been an out lesbian isn't allowed, but objectifying a mentally ill female figure in a gratuitously naked death scene is a moment to be celebrated.

The open contest invites the public to "Break Into Comics!" by submitting four panels depicting Harley Quinn in various suicide attempts, the last taking place while she's naked in a bathtub surrounded by plugged-in appliances like toasters and blenders. The winner will have their work appear in an upcoming issue.

The comments underneath the announcement on DC's website are mixed. While some readers defend the publisher's choice, messages that have received the most "Likes" include ones like the following:

"This is disgusting and you should feel disgusting. Suicide is not sexy and it's not funny and it should NEVER, EVER be played as either and it should not be used in this manner. Anyone from DC that is voluntarily involved in this should feel like horrible people for it.

No, DC, you've *already won* Alienate Your Audience Bingo. You don't have to keep playing! You can stop now!

I named my kid after Harley Quinn and you think that I'll come even close to drawing this ****?"

Some Tumblr users are attempting to make the story go viral to not only launch a boycott of DC, but spam the company's inbox with protest art.

" In order to participate in DC’s latest talent search, you have to draw a female character committing suicide naked.

I’m gonna assume I don’t have to explain what’s****** up about this.

But guys, they left an open submission form on their page! They claim they will personally review every submission!

I see this as an opportunity to spam their box with a Hawkeye-Initiative style inversion of genders. Or just give them an angry letter. Whatever you want.

I say we make this viral and shame them out of this talent search."

What does DC have to say for itself? Not much. Harley Quinn's writer, Jimmy Palmiotti, however, responded briefly on Twitter. Ignoring criticisms that the contest objectifies women, and sexualizes mental illness and suicide,

He said "When did everyone become the moral police"

http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/09/07/harley-quinn-contest-dc-comics

really DC?????????? for shame for shame..

I have dressed as Harley Quinn this is really a sad way for you guys to go..

I have dressed as Harley Quinn

I'm sure you were wearing a full body jacket as you didn't want any fanboys looking at you. Wouldn't want to sensationalize anything.

I am reading a comic book..I am not naked /not committing suicide you insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

Here..happy..and no..I am not sensationalizing ANYTHING but the fact I collect comic books.

Look I am surrounded by freaking comics..

not naked..not offing myself

do you NOW understand the difference between fan art and misogynist BS that glorifies a terrible terrible thing??

141040.jpg.ad8301335856ad05ea23bc718f881880.jpg

You're correct, there is nothing sensual, sexual or sensational about that photo. Dc is just looking for fan art to publish someone. You like to make mountain out of molehills.

You say that when you have a child or family member that commits suicide..

Then think it is just okee dokee to glorify THAT

Comic books have violence and story lines that are not wholesome..and I am accepting of THAT..if the comic book I was reading had a storyline about a family or super persons who wanted to commit suicide and friends of said people offered help and tried to save them even if it did not work..I could deal with THAT

But asking FANS to draw a character naked..committing suicide..making a contest out of it..

WRONG WRONG WRONG

Ok, maybe a bad choice but one should look at the full picture. Not something that is done by the Take Part writer.

The art requested is from a -script and is only 1 page. We don't know what will hapen on page 16. I am pretty sure Harley will still be alive. (Saved, changed her mind or no effect)

And the naked part. Well, not sure about the rest of you but I think that's how you take a bath (I shower, so maybe I am wrong). Not to forget that a naked person in a DC comic will not be showing the forbidden part. I am sure that will be part of the rules and everything needs to be coverred (with bubbles or something)

Again, maybe they should have picked an other page for this contest. But people are taking it out of context as they are not looking further.

Pirate I'm not sure if you read the articles dealing with this. Not*Sure* is not making mountains out of molehills, she reposted the text of an article. Her only comment was shaming DC and mentioning she has dressed as Harley in the past. Have you read DC's description of the panel they want fans to draw?

"PANEL 4

Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen. - See more at: http://www.dccomics.com/node/305151#sthash.uyXmQGlD.dpuf" There is no need to glamorize or sexualize this scene? Why did DC put the specific direction of her being naked in the tub? Further what is the need for requesting a suicide panel in the first place? They could have requested anything really, her fighting batman, her hanging out in Arkham. I get that the character is "deranged" but still...

Jim lee did a decent response on twitter to all the ragers out there - essentially saying (my summary)

"look everyone, 1 panel in a page, and 1 page in a book do not a full comic make - you can't jump to conclusions based on a single page. We intentionally picked very difficult circumstances in order to better assess the artists submitting work - telling a very serious story requires very serious panels which can be done (by any halfway skilled artist) without glorifying either sex or suicide. Everyone needs to get some context before they jump down DC's throat.

Some fans have reacted negatively to two aspects of the page of -script for the contest, however. One is that Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner, the writers on the book, specified that Harley be naked in a panel where she's depicted in a bathtub. Palmiotti explained on his facebook page that the inclusion of the naked description is so people don't just draw her in her costume, as that would not fit the scene.

Pirate I'm not sure if you read the articles dealing with this. Not*Sure* is not making mountains out of molehills, she reposted the text of an article. Her only comment was shaming DC and mentioning she has dressed as Harley in the past. Have you read DC's description of the panel they want fans to draw?

"PANEL 4

Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen. - See more at: http://www.dccomics.com/node/305151#sthash.uyXmQGlD.dpuf" There is no need to glamorize or sexualize this scene? Why did DC put the specific direction of her being naked in the tub? Further what is the need for requesting a suicide panel in the first place? They could have requested anything really, her fighting batman, her hanging out in Arkham. I get that the character is "deranged" but still...

I read it. I also know Harley is a fictional comic character and this is an opp for someone to get published. Are they actually asking for suicide? NO. It all comes down to choices. You no like you no buy.

Did you burn the Martin books and join the league against beheading when Ned Stark bit it? I'm 100% sure you didn't. Are you able to separate fantasy from reality? I'm 100% sure you can. I wonder about others.

I am all for a tasteful book being done, and presented in the right light I am sure this would be a good story (I take it from the part of the -script she might think she is immortal or something since every one of the scenes sounds like her trying to die. The first panel she's grabbing and swinging around a cell phone tower in a lightning storm and is puzzled why the lightning doesn't strike her. I just think its a really bad page to select. I mean how did you not think that putting a panel depicting suicide wouldn't raise some complaints? They couldn't have picked a different page?

You say that when you have a child or family member that commits suicide..

Then think it is just okee dokee to glorify THAT

Comic books have violence and story lines that are not wholesome..and I am accepting of THAT..if the comic book I was reading had a storyline about a family or super persons who wanted to commit suicide and friends of said people offered help and tried to save them even if it did not work..I could deal with THAT

But asking FANS to draw a character naked..committing suicide..making a contest out of it..

WRONG WRONG WRONG

You should take a deep breath. What are you views on cosplayers being groped at cons?

One would "hope" that there would be a positive twist to the story telling rather than Harley opting to do the tragic act of taking her life. It is the world we live in though. Everything is taken to the extreme, whether it be TV, news, pressing comic books, or storytelling, in the end, it's all for profit. We've had the death of Elektra, Supes and countless other characters, the breaking of the Bat, a female Robin, gay characters, burnt/charred characters, Aquaman with one hand, long hair & beard. I'm sure suicide has been a subject of comics, perhaps just not as main stream and maybe without the visual. It's been a while since I've read and I didn't complete the series, but I believe a character in Strangers in Paradise committed suicide. Julie Winters and another character in The Maxx attempted suicide. Again, I hope in this PC world DC would know better than to glorify suicide with a character that has so much female fan-draw.

I do agree with Not*Sure* in that anyone who has ties to suicide whether it be family, friends or their own attempt may not be too receptive of this proposal.

Pirate is Not*Sure's personal troll, so don't try to speak logically to him, it won't work.

Pirate is Not*Sure's personal troll, so don't try to speak logically to him, it won't work.

yea i make zero sense on this issue.

yea i make zero sense on this issue.

Correct (thumbs u <---- not the good one