• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this true...DC wants fan art pictures of Harley Quinn ??

147 posts in this topic

Pirate I'm not sure if you read the articles dealing with this. Not*Sure* is not making mountains out of molehills, she reposted the text of an article. Her only comment was shaming DC and mentioning she has dressed as Harley in the past. Have you read DC's description of the panel they want fans to draw?

Pirate is Not*Sure's personal troll, so don't try to speak logically to him, it won't work.

Only here 4 days and you've figured that out?

Who were you in your past board life?

Pirate I'm not sure if you read the articles dealing with this. Not*Sure* is not making mountains out of molehills, she reposted the text of an article. Her only comment was shaming DC and mentioning she has dressed as Harley in the past. Have you read DC's description of the panel they want fans to draw?

Pirate is Not*Sure's personal troll, so don't try to speak logically to him, it won't work.

LMAO it's Cal he decided to turn his life around and is now sharing the love..

we are having a love fest...he started a new ID to show he is a changed dude.. :cloud9::roflmao:

LMAO it's Cal he decided to turn his life around and is now sharing the love..

we are having a love fest...he started a new ID to show he is a changed dude.. :cloud9::roflmao:

Like a Phoenix from the flames.

:gossip: 11 years

You want me to list every ID? Uff da!

Ok so I'm not going to touch upon the more sensitive areas of this thread. All I will say is that I am holding out hope that perhaps this suicide will be in some sort of "dream sequence" or something because the whole kill someone and bring them back is getting old and I seriously want to see Harley stick around!

Cal

Calamerica

Calmerica Collectibles..

right

this is you little buddy right??

lol

I am reading a comic book..I am not naked /not committing suicide you insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

Here..happy..and no..I am not sensationalizing ANYTHING but the fact I collect comic books.

Look I am surrounded by freaking comics..

not naked..not offing myself

do you NOW understand the difference between fan art and misogynist BS that glorifies a terrible terrible thing??

That's a nice picture... cool costume. :)

As for the contest, it's a little bizarre and maybe I'm wrong, but it's almost like they're down playing this scene or maybe just trying to inject some balance by invoking Harley's quirkiness.

PANEL 1

Harley is on top of a building, holding a large DETACHED cellphone tower in her hands as lightning is striking just about everywhere except her tower. She is looking at us like she cannot believe what she is doing. Beside herself. Not happy.

PANEL 2

Harley is sitting in an alligator pond, on a little island with a suit of raw chicken on, rolling her eyes like once again, she cannot believe where she has found herself. We see the alligators ignoring her.

PANEL 3

Harley is sitting in an open whale mouth, tickling the inside of the whale’s mouth with a feather. She is ecstatic and happy, like this is the most fun ever.

PANEL 4

Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen.

Is it that unreasonable for a superhero/villain who keeps surviving in the face of immense danger to test the extremes of their survivability?

What if Deadpool was doing this? Or Superman? What if she's trying to figure out if she has 'luck' powers like Domino or Longshot? OR 'nine-lives' like Michelle Pfieffer Catwoman? Or someone made her meta?

She's a character in the Suicide Squad.

Deadpool has had one arc per year for the last 3 where he's going to GREAT extremes to kill himself. No outrage? He's been nude in way too many scenes too.

I would say that drawing Harley nude in a bathtub w/o relation to a storyline topic would be even more objectifying.

Comics trivialize and provide commentary on a million different very serious things that happen everyday in real life, including death, violence, property destruction, theft, arrests, over sexualization, self image issues, war, vigilanteism, illness, mental illness, and in some cases, murder and suicide. Are you outraged when Punisher kills a dirty cop or street level drug dealer?

I am reading a comic book..I am not naked /not committing suicide you insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

Here..happy..and no..I am not sensationalizing ANYTHING but the fact I collect comic books.

Look I am surrounded by freaking comics..

not naked..not offing myself

do you NOW understand the difference between fan art and misogynist BS that glorifies a terrible terrible thing??

That's a nice picture... cool costume. :)

As for the contest, it's a little bizarre and maybe I'm wrong, but it's almost like they're down playing this scene or maybe just trying to inject some balance by invoking Harley's quirkiness.

PANEL 1

Harley is on top of a building, holding a large DETACHED cellphone tower in her hands as lightning is striking just about everywhere except her tower. She is looking at us like she cannot believe what she is doing. Beside herself. Not happy.

PANEL 2

Harley is sitting in an alligator pond, on a little island with a suit of raw chicken on, rolling her eyes like once again, she cannot believe where she has found herself. We see the alligators ignoring her.

PANEL 3

Harley is sitting in an open whale mouth, tickling the inside of the whale’s mouth with a feather. She is ecstatic and happy, like this is the most fun ever.

PANEL 4

Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen.

Before people have a mental breakdown, did NotSure actually read the -script. Harley is obviously putting herself in all kinds of dangerous situations and nothing happens. Like being dressed in chickens in the alligator pool and all of the alligators are ignoring her. The point of the panels is to be funny. They all show Harley doing dangerously stupid stuff to hurt herself and none of it working. Again, this is only four pages of a 20 page book. Obviously NotSure has some personal issue with this to react so much. But looking at the -script, its obviously similar to Marvel's Deadpool type of comic. Deadpool gets beaten up, blown up, and all kinds of wacky stuff. Same thing. People are just trying to make it an issue by only looking at the one page -script and trying to link it to this Suicide prevention day or whatever. The two aren't linked. Not anymore than any average monthly comic book story is linked to the real world.

"Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen."

:facepalm:

"Harley sitting naked in a bathtub with toasters, blow dryers, blenders, appliances all dangling above the bathtub and she has a cord that will release them all. We are watching the moment before the inevitable death. Her expression is one of “oh well, guess that’s it for me” and she has resigned herself to the moment that is going to happen."

:facepalm:

And then I'm sure the next panel is that the power goes out before anything happens, or there's a black out or something. This isn't original. We've seen it in tv shows and other things. Again, its just part of the joke. Just like her in the mouth of a whale. I mean, really?

Again, eveyone seems to be fixated on the one page.

Isn't Harley Quinn a homicidal and insane criminal that's assisted the Joker in murder on a massive scale, all while wearing an outfit that places her firmly outside the bounds of anything found in reality?

I think drawing direct comparisons between the above and reality will have the person drawing said comparisons falling into the camp of those that blame violence on music or video games.

Comics trivialize and provide commentary on a million different very serious things that happen everyday in real life, including death, violence, property destruction, theft, arrests, over sexualization, self image issues, war, vigilanteism, illness, mental illness, and in some cases, murder and suicide. Are you outraged when Punisher kills a dirty cop or street level drug dealer?

I can live with the fact that comics trivialize a lot of things for the sake of storytelling. The concept of converting that trivial attitude into a contest is something that misses the mark for DC and their public relations team.

In this day and age, people are sensitive to everything. And for a company as large as DC to not understand that and sanitize their contest accordingly is the level of incompetence I have come to expect from them. Hence the facepalm.

For the record, I love all the things you mentioned about comics.

I can live with the fact that comics trivialize a lot of things for the sake of storytelling. The concept of converting that trivial attitude into a contest is something that misses the mark for DC and their public relations team.

In this day and age, people are sensitive to everything. And for a company as large as DC to not understand that and sanitize their contest accordingly is the level of incompetence I have come to expect from them. Hence the facepalm.

For the record, I love all the things you mentioned about comics.

I actually agree, its a bit of a misstep strictly from a PR perspective, and will understandably outrage some people. But I think if we all take a step back, I think we can kind of see its not a huge conspiracy ruin the world.

I agree with Dr. Balls. The suicide aspect isn't necessarily the upsetting part. DC has done controversial and tough story lines very well in the past (GLGA 85/86 for example) Hell Marvel had a character called Suicide who tried to kill himself and thats how he got his powers. The point that Dr. Balls make is what bothers me, its the fact that its a contest. I am not trying to stifle what DC says in their comics, I was the same person complaining about the Batwoman snafu last week. I just wish they would think a little better about what they offered up as a contest.