• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this true...DC wants fan art pictures of Harley Quinn ??

147 posts in this topic

Sometimes I wonder if anyone in comics has ever taken classes in marketing or advertising. There have been a lot of blunders over the years. We should make a list!

Take the initiative and start that list! (thumbs u

So, without trying to ruffle feathers, this is what I got so far.

Some one is upset with DC because they're doing something to a character. The character is not new, the concept is not new, but the person is now mad because this not new concept met this not new character. And this person is mad because they like the character and are affected by the concept? That about right?

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not defending or attacking DC on it. The bit is suppose to be comedy. Its been done in other media for years. Again, we have Deadpool getting beat up or hurt in some capacity every other month. We have superheroes and villians attacking each other in comics with property damage and everything else. Yet, that's not a problem.

What we have is someone that has a very personal issue with this particular subject and is venting about it. Fine, if you have an issue with it, then just don't buy the book. Pretty simple.

Again read the actual article. They have Harley in a CHICKEN COVERED SUIT while in the alligator pool. Why people continue to ignore all the other outlandish parts to the story I don't know. Its suppose to be comedy. Comedy in a comic book for goodness sake.

I agree with this 100%

I mentioned it before but since it's Marvel and they do no wrong it got ignored. But 2011 had a Deadpool storyarc where he wanted to die and tried every imaginable way to kill himself; including dropping an atomic bomb on the hulk to make him mad.

That was a multi-issue story and I don't recall people hating on it like they are the Harley story which is clearly "Comical"

Aside from the questionable content, I thought the contest was lame as a search for new talent. How can you tell how good a comic book artist is by looking at 4 non connected illustrations?

Some one is upset with DC because they're doing something to a character. The character is not new, the concept is not new, but the person is now mad because this not new concept met this not new character. And this person is mad because they like the character and are affected by the concept? That about right?

Making a contest of drawing someone in a suicidal scenario is tacky and in poor taste. I think everyone here is acceptant of what goes on in comic book stories and for how long it's gone on, but to encourage the audience to draw their interpretations of it in a contest is pretty dumb on DC's part. I don't think anyone is mad or upset - I think they are appalled at the stupidity of this kind of contest.

Bingo.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone in comics has ever taken classes in marketing or advertising. There have been a lot of blunders over the years. We should make a list!

Take the initiative and start that list! (thumbs u

In no particular order of importance:

1) The Spider-Ugh (Ben Reilly)

2) all the mullets from the '90s

3) Pogs.

4) ...?

-slym

I am reading a comic book..I am not naked /not committing suicide you insufficiently_thoughtful_person...

Here..happy..and no..I am not sensationalizing ANYTHING but the fact I collect comic books.

Look I am surrounded by freaking comics..

not naked..not offing myself

do you NOW understand the difference between fan art and misogynist BS that glorifies a terrible terrible thing??

:eyeroll:

That pretty much sums it up. I'm not defending or attacking DC on it. The bit is suppose to be comedy. Its been done in other media for years. Again, we have Deadpool getting beat up or hurt in some capacity every other month. We have superheroes and villians attacking each other in comics with property damage and everything else. Yet, that's not a problem.

What we have is someone that has a very personal issue with this particular subject and is venting about it. Fine, if you have an issue with it, then just don't buy the book. Pretty simple.

Again read the actual article. They have Harley in a CHICKEN COVERED SUIT while in the alligator pool. Why people continue to ignore all the other outlandish parts to the story I don't know. Its suppose to be comedy. Comedy in a comic book for goodness sake.

I agree with this 100%

I mentioned it before but since it's Marvel and they do no wrong it got ignored. But 2011 had a Deadpool storyarc where he wanted to die and tried every imaginable way to kill himself; including dropping an atomic bomb on the hulk to make him mad.

That was a multi-issue story and I don't recall people hating on it like they are the Harley story which is clearly "Comical"

Because you have friggin feminist and white knights that love to clamor over this . :tonofbricks:

Talk about people being uptight.

I mean come on, Look at who Harley Quinn is going out with??

Harley and the Joker are both mentally ill cold blooded killers, Asking fans to draw the Joker is ok and no one says anything! Might as well ask fans to draw John Wayne Gacy or Bonnie and Clyde.

This being blown out of proportion!

Aside from the questionable content, I thought the contest was lame as a search for new talent. How can you tell how good a comic book artist is by looking at 4 non connected illustrations?

You can tell if the artist has a grasp of things like:

-layout

-ability to draw well

-ability to draw from different viewpoints

-perspective

-anatomy

:)

I don't see a big deal with it...

1 - If your in a bathtub, you're usually naked anyways so they really didn't even have to say that.

2 - She's a lunatic. Could she be suicidal? She should be.

Geez, it's not like young girls look up to Harley Quinn as a role model, and if they do, they're lunatics themselves.

I like a good bad-girl art piece as well as a general call to artists to get into the industry but this was just in plain bad taste.

This isn't toward any comment specifically just a general thought. IMHO, the entire layout calls for the sexualization of the character in a trigger situation. If you cannot see WHY people would have a problem with this then I think trying to explain it is a lost cause - this is the reason many women find it hard to be in the comics industry. There are plenty of female artists I know that want to draw super heroes but also do so in a way that isn't degrading. It might not be obvious to you but it does exist, and it does not make them 'uptight' - this is the nature of such triggers, either you know of it first hand or you should empathize that it is a real thing and not be so dismissive.

By making the sexualization of the female character and the tragedy of suicide part of a contest, it's disrespectful towards the context that something like this should be handled with and fails to provide meaning or depth. It has more shock value than artistic value (while alienating a core demographic), which I am sure is what DC intended - which speaks volumes about how they feel regarding women in the industry or as readers (hell, listen to any of the recent DC panels for slew of very blatant misogyny).

You can tell if the artist has a grasp of things like:

-layout

-ability to draw well

-ability to draw from different viewpoints

-perspective

-anatomy

:)

But it won't tell if the person is a good comic book artist. They're just asking for pinups.