• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I remember going to see Blade Runner on the big screen when it was first released - the mainstream critics absolutely hated that film.
I suspect if Rotten Tomatoes was around back then many loved (while not technically great films) would get killed

Blade Runner is a perfect example.

perfect example of what? aren't we talking about movies the critics hate, but the crowds flock to? blade runner was not a hit, in fact was 27th among domestic releases for that year.

I remember going to see Blade Runner on the big screen when it was first released - the mainstream critics absolutely hated that film.
I suspect if Rotten Tomatoes was around back then many loved (while not technically great films) would get killed

perfect example of what? aren't we talking about movies the critics hate, but the crowds flock to? blade runner was not a hit, in fact was 27th among domestic releases for that year.

perfect example of a movie that critics hate but people love.

i know it's monday but man you are grumpy.

I liked BvS more than AOU.

finally you said something I can agree with in this thread. That was a mess and more importantly an insult to anything resembling the comic universe.

Nice Family Hawkeye!

That's not even true. Reviews were mixed for Blade Runner, people just didn't go see it. it was not a commercial success at all. It was poorly marketed and went directly up against the release of what would become the biggest movie of ALL TIME at the time.
I bought the 60th Anniversary Edition of a movie that critics killed at the time as well as fellow filmmakers... High Noon.

When released, critics were turned off to a "cowardly" cowboy begging for help and finally saved (SPOILER ALERT!) by his bride.

Just a perspective to share (please nobody who just looked it up wiki to tell me it was always a Best Picture classic). Try to find a similiar thumbs down movie that turned out to be a classic (In the commentary of The Fog, Carpenter stated critics intially panned Halloween before revision reviews came).

A curious breed on this message board. It's not enough that movie studios are spending billions catering to the desires of us comic fans. It's not enough that comic prequels, sequels, and franchises dominate the movie and TV landscape. We also want, no NEED, critical validation. Failing that, it must be PC culture, critical bias, arthouse jealousy, liberalism, the Illuminati, ACORN or The Rosicrucians.

Culture has come a long way, but it's pretty evident that a lot of people are still worried that comics still aren't cool enough, and getting stuffed in the metaphorical locker.

That's not even true. Reviews were mixed for Blade Runner, people just didn't go see it. it was not a commercial success at all. It was poorly marketed and went directly up against the release of what would become the biggest movie of ALL TIME at the time.
I bought the 60th Anniversary Edition of a movie that critics killed at the time as well as fellow filmmakers... High Noon.

When released, critics were turned off to a "cowardly" cowboy begging for help and finally saved (SPOILER ALERT!) by his bride.

Just a perspective to share (please nobody who just looked it up wiki to tell me it was always a Best Picture classic). Try to find a similiar thumbs down movie that turned out to be a classic (In the commentary of The Fog, Carpenter stated critics intially panned Halloween before revision reviews came).

The Shining comes to mind. Regarded as a classic now but it deviated so much from the book I think people took it to task. Obviously, iconic director too.

A curious breed on this message board. It's not enough that movie studios are spending billions catering to the desires of us comic fans. It's not enough that comic prequels, sequels, and franchises dominate the movie and TV landscape. We also want, no NEED, critical validation. Failing that, it must be PC culture, critical bias, arthouse jealousy, liberalism, the Illuminati, ACORN or The Rosicrucians.

Culture has come a long way, but it's pretty evident that a lot of people are still worried that comics still aren't cool enough, and getting stuffed in the metaphorical locker.

I think there'd be a lot less angst about this if Nolan's The Dark Knight was not dissed by the Academy a few years ago. It was a legitimate top 5 in my opinion and I wasn't even involved in the hobby at the time. A nomination would have gone a long way to dispel any insecurities about mainstream biases towards the "nerd" culture.

I really enjoyed the flick. Way more than just a popcorn movie. Way more than drek like Transformers or other Michael Bay projects.

There were definite holes and some bad directing/editing choices. The conversion from foe to friend in the big fight was was jarring. Eisenberg was a poor interpretation of Luthor and the writing around the character was weak.

But overall, I liked it. There was real potential left unrealized in the first act, but I'll take it over in your face action for 2 hours.

The Shining comes to mind. Regarded as a classic now but it deviated so much from the book I think people took it to task. Obviously, iconic director too.

Oh good one. (thumbs u

I remember how that movie was out like forever.

Saw it in a shoebox when I was six.

Personal note:

Ghosts at the Stanley Hotel, yeah like that could be captured on camera. :/

you replied to my post but wasn't sure if you were referring to me but here's what I think

personally how a movie does at the box office or on rotten tomatoes has very little impact on my life. how the movie is either good or bad again has little impact in my life.

what I am against is how much stock many on the boards, in this particular forum place an emphasis on rotten tomatoes, trailers, tweets, casting and box office revenue.

too much of a person is based on one or all those factors that they begin posting non stop instead of deciding on their own.

I've seen movies that have had very little box office money that i've enjoyed and vice a versa. Same with reviews, good reviews, bad reviews, usually don't factor in what I will see in the movie theatre. probably has more of an impact on a b movie on netflix for me.

I don't think there is a conspiracy against this film, i can see why people will dislike it, just like i can see how someone can dislike Mad Max Fury Road, or like AOU.

I will say it does bother me when someone accepts the absurdity of one but has different standards with another movie. Maybe I'm a little guilty of that too.

you replied to my post but wasn't sure if you were referring to me but here's what I think

personally how a movie does at the box office or on rotten tomatoes has very little impact on my life. how the movie is either good or bad again has little impact in my life.

what I am against is how much stock many on the boards, in this particular forum place an emphasis on rotten tomatoes, trailers, tweets, casting and box office revenue.

too much of a person is based on one or all those factors that they begin posting non stop instead of deciding on their own.

I've seen movies that have had very little box office money that i've enjoyed and vice a versa. Same with reviews, good reviews, bad reviews, usually don't factor in what I will see in the movie theatre. probably has more of an impact on a b movie on netflix for me.

I don't think there is a conspiracy against this film, i can see why people will dislike it, just like i can see how someone can dislike Mad Max Fury Road, or like AOU.

I will say it does bother me when someone accepts the absurdity of one but has different standards with another movie. Maybe I'm a little guilty of that too.

It wasn't directed at you, I just hit reply to the last post.

Critical reviews sometimes impact whether I see it at the theater or wait for Blu-ray. That's about it.

Failing that, it must be PC culture, critical bias, arthouse jealousy, liberalism, the Illuminati, ACORN or The Rosicrucians.

lol lol lol

finally you said something I can agree with in this thread. That was a mess and more importantly an insult to anything resembling the comic universe.

Nice Family Hawkeye!

I post a lot so the numbers work in this favor over time.

Nice Family Hawkeye!

I post a lot so the numbers work in this favor over time.

wonderful strategy, too bad it doesn't work for everyone else

Saw it last night with the wife & daughter - wife's response was "wow, that was boring", daughter's "that was a bit of a mess".

My thoughts ...

The good:

- Affleck did a better-than-expected job as Batman - it didn't seem like he had a lot to work with, though, as for most of the movie he either sulked or started pensively into the horizon. But he certainly looked the part.

- Cavil is built like a tank and looks every bit the Superman. Which also makes it that much harder to believe that nobody can see right through his secret identity :)

- Batsuit(s) looked terrific; straight out of DKR

- Jason Momoa looked bad-azz as Aquaman

- Jeremy Irons continued the long-line of terrific castings for the role of Alfred

The bad:

- The story was a mess.

- The dream sequences were true WTF moments.

- Eisenberg was awful as Luthor. He played his usual neurotic self - which, granted, has worked in other movies - but here it was dialed up to 11 and he just came off as hugely annoying. Terrible casting choice.

- Gal Gadot gets top billing, but has like 5 minutes of screen time - what a waste.

- Lois Lane was once again reduced to the standard Superman stereotype - someone who gets into trouble & needs to be rescued multiple times.

In general, the biggest issue I had with BvS is that it just took itself too damn seriously. It was trying so hard to be dramatic & epic that all the fun, adventure and escapism that normally accompanies a superhero movie was nowhere to be found.

So ... in conclusion - not a terrible movie, but just not a very good or memorable one either - I'd give it a solid 4/10.

perfect example of a movie that critics hate but people love.

i know it's monday but man you are grumpy.

we get good friday off down here in so. la., so i had to come back to do lawyerin' after a long weekend----you're darn tootin' i'm grumpy!

BATMAN V SUPERMAN Opening Weekend Box Office Revised To $166 Million

Hauling in slightly lower than late projections expected, Dawn of Justice nabbed $166.1 million at the box office domestically.

Though $4 million lower than the late projections, the numbers are still gigantic, earning the DC Comics film the seventh largest opening weekend in box office history, narrowly behind by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2's $169.2 million opening and ahead of The Dark Knight Rises' $160.9 million launch in 2012.

On Thursday and Friday, Batman v. Superman garnered an impressive $81.6 million in pre-show sales and first day showings, followed up by $50.7 million on Saturday and $33.8 million on Easter Sunday.

Still a huge box office accomplishment. But $4 MM short of estimates.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN Opening Weekend Box Office Revised To $166 Million

Hauling in slightly lower than late projections expected, Dawn of Justice nabbed $166.1 million at the box office domestically.

Though $4 million lower than the late projections, the numbers are still gigantic, earning the DC Comics film the seventh largest opening weekend in box office history, narrowly behind by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2's $169.2 million opening and ahead of The Dark Knight Rises' $160.9 million launch in 2012.

On Thursday and Friday, Batman v. Superman garnered an impressive $81.6 million in pre-show sales and first day showings, followed up by $50.7 million on Saturday and $33.8 million on Easter Sunday.

Still a huge box office accomplishment. But $4 MM short of estimates.

Which estimates? The ones revised up to $170M?

Here's BoxOffice.com from a week ago:

"Batman v Superman is projected to open domestically with roughly $159 million for a total worldwide weekend debut of $390 million."

$166M would be $7M over the estimate.

I think one of the alleged 'strengths' of the movie was also one of the weaknesses of the movie for me.

I did feel excited for future Wonder Woman and Justice League movies, which I'm sure was one of the goals. The problem is that I DURING THE MOVIE I wished I was watching those other movies.

Additionally, I wished I was watching the Batfleck movie where Robin gets killed by joker, full of wry Jeremy Irons.

Even more the point, as cool as Batman was, I felt the movie would have been better overall if Batman wasn't in it, if lex was lex + Bruce Wayne, explanation to follow.

Lex is a titan of metropolis, in business and science, obviously a genius obviously very rich, eccentric but not crazy (yet). Possibly the best humanity has to offer. You can even think of him similar to Tony Stark.

So imagine Lex Luthor instead of Bruce Wayne driving around metropolis at the beginning of the movie trying to get to his building and save his employees. He fails, and probably has the most to lose since he's more heavily invested in metropolis.

Then he starts getting the dreams about Superman taking over.

So he starts staging events to 'test' superman, and eventually escalates to staged events where Superman 'kills' people, and tries to antagonize superman into making mistakes or being overly aggressive.

And also tries to get access to the kryptonian ship/stuff and get the kryptonite into America, dealing with congress.

Meanwhile, Superman does start to question things, whether its worth it, and Lois starts to look into the conspiracy, but maybe she also starts to question whether its worth it.

And you see both Lex and Superrman start with very reasonable positions, and Lex descends into madness because he believes Superman to be untrustworthy but Superman doesn't fall for any of it, and Superman proves to be even more righteous, even as Lex has sacrificed more and more people for the cause (which doesn't sit as well with him as you'd think).

Along the way you can actually have Lex Luthor taking out criminals and learning to fight in the shadows, even killing them, believing that he's the true hero of the story.

But after the congressional bombing, the public is out to get superman, and Lex has been training and building a supersuit and kryptonite weapon to kill superman. That battle is epic, but Lex can't defeat superman, so lex activates his 'doomsday' option, which obviously gets out of control and Superman dies defeating Doomsday with the kryptonite weapon.

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20, but I think that's a better movie, and the heaviness and philosophical questions would make more sense. Admittedly its not Bats v Supes

Which estimates? The ones revised up to $170M?

Here's BoxOffice.com from a week ago:

"Batman v Superman is projected to open domestically with roughly $159 million for a total worldwide weekend debut of $390 million."

$166M would be $7M over the estimate.

Box Office Mojo and Boxoffice.com were both reporting $170.1 MM as of yesterday, which were their estimates based on the reports coming in from theaters.