• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Why do you suppose people get so worked up and energized to share how much they didn't like something?

I'm surprised by the strong desire to express dissatisfaction (or perhaps hidden satisfaction?) that this movie wasn't everything they hoped for or everything it might have been.

Seems like a strong desire to shout negativity to me instead of highlighting the really cool stuff.

"I'm such a big fan of the characters that I can't be positive about their largest, most financially successful expression in history." :slapfight:

Honestly, I thought the movie was aight, and generally worth watching if you're a comic fan. But a lot of people don't want more more of the same

That's my point. This film shouldn't have been just "aight". You can get aight in the theater any day of the week. This starred the biggest two characters in the DC stable and they just couldn't get the story straight. I know I shouldn't be surprised considering DC's history with films but I still can't help feeling confounded by the whole mess. Meanwhile, where their films fail the TV Shows flourish. Go figure.

85ij7q_4.jpg

Best review I've read so far:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335

(Warning: contains major spoilers)

The DC Murderverse :lol:

I completely agree with this review.

DC/Warner Bros is absolutely a clueless movie company.

DC needs to completely revamp their approach and creative staff going forward.

I thought I might not enjoy this movie, but your zeal to repeatedly slam it is telling me I must be mistaken. hm

Still love how they tied the two movies together so perfectly, confirming why Bruce Wayne would personally have a problem with Superman.

IcHJj0e.gif

So the next time Joker decides to blow up a hospital, following his own logic in this film we blame Batman? ???

How does Bruce know which one is using heat vision?

Normally I'd say by using basic detective skills, but since he uses that “he has the power to wipe out the entire human race and if we believe there’s even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty" line that paraphrases an old Cheney comment on the possibility of Al Qaeda obtaining nukes from a Pakistani nuclear scientist, he's assuming Kal-El's guilt by association with Zod. An association that's just as easy to make between the Joker and Batman if you're judging externally.

So he doesn't know who is using the heat vision?

At the moment shown, no, he's unable to see the shooter.

Best review I've read so far:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335

(Warning: contains major spoilers)

The DC Murderverse :lol:

I completely agree with this review.

DC/Warner Bros is absolutely a clueless movie company.

DC needs to completely revamp their approach and creative staff going forward.

I thought I might not enjoy this movie, but your zeal to repeatedly slam it is telling me I must be mistaken. hm

You may like this movie, but so far all of my friends here on the boards were actually more harsh on this movie than I was.

I got multiple texts telling me to save my $ and not even bother to go to the theater.

You make it sound like I spoon over every movie, this is one of only movies I said from the beginning I was very nervous about. Movie I saw last night is what I expected. Deadpool blew this movie away and I have no love for Deadpool.

I didnt hate the movie but it really wasnt that good either IMO.

I really hope you like, but I dont think you will love it.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

down to 28 on rt, tho' it looks like gl's 26 and my big fat greek wedding sequel's 25 are safely out of reach.
Rambo: First Blood Part 2 is a RT 28% movie. For 30 years, I always thought was a fun movie (James Cameron worked on the -script). We will see what the kids who watched this one says in three decades. I think it might be the same assessment, I made. :)

rambo a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but I really like first blood; thought brian dennehy was an excellent baddie.

down to 28 on rt, tho' it looks like gl's 26 and my big fat greek wedding sequel's 25 are safely out of reach.
Rambo: First Blood Part 2 is a RT 28% movie. For 30 years, I always thought was a fun movie (James Cameron worked on the -script). We will see what the kids who watched this one says in three decades. I think it might be the same assessment, I made. :)

Exactly. It`s the young generations who deem the future popculture icons.

Not middle-aged critics!

1950s =Elvis.,1950s Sci-Fi movies

1960s =Beatles, Marvel Comics, James Bond,Star Trek

1970s = Star Wars

1980s = Nintendo,Transformers, GI Joe and VHS horror!

1990s Harry Potter, Mighty Morphing Power Rangers and Jurassic Park!

Who made Neal Adams,Frank Miller and John Byrne popular?

The young generation during that comic book reading period, and not a bunch of middle-aged comic book readers of the 1970s and 1980s.

The consensus is people under 25 loved the Batman v. Superman movie, and it was the old artsy,fartsy critics that didn`t get it!

2c

My daughter is 14, a big comic book fan, and she thought the movie was a mess.

As usual, you're making grand generalizations with a tenous basis in reality.

Yet it on it`s way to 1 billion worldwide. The grand generalization is there will be many more DC movies!

I know a lot of Marvel fans wanted a fail.

In the long run it`s will be better now that Marvel has competition because now Marvel will try harder to keep up with Fox and Warner.

Deadpool,and Batman v. Superman blew Ant-Mant and Avengers: Age of Ultron out of the water. Marvel was complacent,now that they see Fox and DC made big coin at the box office they will try harder!

i know so very many marvel fans; i know not one who wanted the movie to fail. whether a marvel or d.c. lean, i've found that enthusiasts of our bent want ALL the comic movies to succeed, so we'll continue having comic movies.

rambo a little bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but I really like first blood; thought brian dennehy was an excellent baddie.

Rambo 1 is a masterpiece.

Was looking forward to this movie. Liked it but it could have been so much better! Editing and story all over the place. Thought the acting was solid. Afleck was great as batman- best so far imo. Looking forward to the individual movies. Get John Carpenter or Ridley Scott in there. They let the movies build up and breathe.

I wanted this movie to succeed hugely, because I don't believe that it has to be either Marvel or DC that wins - but sadly, I walked away from the movie feeling worse than when I went in, which is so rare for me.

I think a lot of it had to do with the tone of the thing - no one smiled even once unless they were clinically insane (Lex) or trying to halfheartedly reassure Superman (Ma Kent and Lois).

It just felt far too... I don't know. I am sad, though. :(

Edited by Liaton-9000

Help me understand this...

When Lex introduces Bruce Wayne to Clark Kent... how does Lex know who Clark is? Wh should it matter? A reporter who does the sports piece for the Planet? Why should Bruce care to meet him? Why should Lex care to introduce them? Unless.... it's implied that Lex knows who they both are...

When Lex introduces Bruce Wayne to Clark Kent... how does Lex know who Clark is? Wh should it matter? A reporter who does the sports piece for the Planet? Why should Bruce care to meet him? Why should Lex care to introduce them? Unless.... it's implied that Lex knows who they both are...

He did later demonstrate that he knew who they both were - kidnapping Clark's mom and sending the hate mail to Bruce

He did later demonstrate that he knew who they both were - kidnapping Clark's mom and sending the hate mail to Bruce

Bingo-Sign-89298.gif

Yeah, I think that's fair about Lex. I don't agree with some of the criticisms that claim that Lex has NO motivations for what he does -- he fears Superman because he fears unstoppable tyranny (Nazi theme). It's just that his reasons for what he does do seem to change over the course of the film, and the things he knows ahead of time make some of his subsequent decisions confusing.

I also had a hard time with the film's logic, especially regarding Superman's powers. He has super-hearing (as he shows with Lois Lane on several occasions) -- why couldn't he use it to hear his mom talking or yelling and then find her? He has super-speed -- why not use it to get Wonder Woman to the kryptonite spear and have her use it on Doomsday while he distracted him? He has heat vision -- why not use it on Batman's grenades/weapons when they appear in his hand? He has x-ray vision -- why wouldn't he use that to see through Batman's smoke screen?

Just seemed like they made Superman kind of dumb regarding his own powers "because of plot". I hate that stuff.

Dan

ps I almost felt sorry for Lex's assistant 'Mercy' after the movie...when I remembered she was still in the Senate hearing when it blew up!

Brett Culp is the founder of the Rising Heroes Project, which is a non-profit using superhero examples and values to inspire children.

The Risking Heroes Project

He recently posted a review of the movie, which caught the attention of Ray Fisher. Especially since you can tell Culp immerses himself in superhero lore to the point it drives his mission in life.

x99U9OX.jpg

In the video, Culp gets a bit emotional but accurately depicts the film as the tale of two heroes trying to find themselves again. Batman after years of battle and loss, questioning the results of his efforts, and Superman questioning if his presence is really benefiting the people he is trying to protect. His argument is that throughout the film they are clearly not the heroes we've known for years, and the movie serves as a springboard to get them back to where we know they can be. It's quite a compelling argument, and personally, I happen to agree.

Definitely worth a watch.

Why do you suppose people get so worked up and energized to share how much they didn't like something?

I'm surprised by the strong desire to express dissatisfaction (or perhaps hidden satisfaction?) that this movie wasn't everything they hoped for or everything it might have been.

Seems like a strong desire to shout negativity to me instead of highlighting the really cool stuff.

"I'm such a big fan of the characters that I can't be positive about their largest, most financially successful expression in history." :slapfight:

It has become more popular and gains more hits/views/nods/barfs to hate on something rather than point out the positives. This is an epidemic in not just movies, but all media like video games, where there seems to be a need to belong and feel cool by drinking the negative juice. Also the bias in the critics community is clear. Not a single Zack Snyder movie has cracked 76% on RT? Sad really.