• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

EDITORIAL: MARVEL The New PIXAR; DC Becoming The DreamWorks?

With all the recent, record breaking, success of Guardians of the Galaxy I think it is safe to say that Marvel Studios has indeed become the Pixar of comic book movies. By this I mean that it is, for the most part, the Marvel Studios brand selling Guardians of the Galaxy. Now I don't mean Guardians of the Galaxy would have done bad at the box office without the Marvel Studios logo on it, but I doubt that it would have made $94 million dollars on opening weekend in August. Marvel Studios could release a movie about paint drying and it'd at least break the $50 million dollar mark. Marvel Studios has how many biggest openings of the month? Three? One of those have two of their movies. This is pretty much the same effect Pixar has with their films. Pixar's brand alone brings in a lot of money to the box office and puts butts in seats.

Now on-to DC comics (or is it DC Entertainment now?). Where is DC's brand compared to Marvel Studios brand? Nowhere near it. Marvel Studios brand is on cloud nine, while DC is still on Earth barley getting their spaceship ready. Now this make me think that even if DC manages to make their universe as fantastic as Marvel, they won't reach the level of brand recognition that Marvel has reached. This is how DC is becoming the DreamWorks Animation to Marvel Studios Pixar. Now that isn't a bad thing, many people can tell the difference, but there are stiil those people who don't care to know the difference. When The Avengers was coming out I heard people asking if Batman and/or Superman would be in The Avengers. This is because people don't see Batman or Superman as DC heroes, they see them as Batman and Superman. They are their own brands. This is pretty much the same case for DreamWorks Animations film. Many people think that Pixar made movies such as Shrek, How To Train Your Dragon, some even think Disney Animation films like Wreck-it Ralph and Frozen are made by Pixar.

I for one am a bit tired of the comparison between DC and Marvel. I think wins on both sides of the coin are just that.....wins. When Marvel has blockbuster openings that smash records...they're just setting up the ball for DC to spike and vice versa.

I love the characters on both fronts....and I can appreciate the difference between the sometimes "funny" and "made with kids in mind" Marvel approach and the "serious" and "mature" take on the DC properties.

To the world at large, alot of people don't know who belongs where as cited above by that editorial Kagenish reposted. Superman and Spiderman for all they know occupy the same universe. WE know the difference because we're hopelessly addicted to comics and everything that stems from them (and that's a great thing!)

I've been reading and collecting comics for over 40 years and I've honestly been waiting my entire life for them to reach this pinnacle of media interest. It's an amazing transition and these movies have revitalized the cinema. Before these blockbuster smash hits like Avengers, folks in Hollywood were bemoaning the lack of ticket sales amidst rising ticket prices....complaining endlessly about pirated movies and how they could barely break even making these flicks. What comic book movies have demonstrated is that Hollywood hadn't even scratched the surface in terms of profitability...which drives the entire economic experience.

Anyway, this post isn't directed at anyone.....but I think I'm done with the your superhero is better than mine arguments. I love them all.

Anyway, this post isn't directed at anyone.....but I think I'm done with the your superhero is better than mine arguments. I love them all.

:applause:

It really is about the benefit to the hobby in being able to prove much of this material would be fantastic at the cinema. I cannot wait for someone to dig deeper into the portfolio of other companies like Dark Horse, and bringing to live production something like Concrete, X or Black Cross.

I for one am a bit tired of the comparison between DC and Marvel. I think wins on both sides of the coin are just that.....wins. When Marvel has blockbuster openings that smash records...they're just setting up the ball for DC to spike and vice versa.

I love the characters on both fronts....and I can appreciate the difference between the sometimes "funny" and "made with kids in mind" Marvel approach and the "serious" and "mature" take on the DC properties.

To the world at large, alot of people don't know who belongs where as cited above by that editorial Kagenish reposted. Superman and Spiderman for all they know occupy the same universe. WE know the difference because we're hopelessly addicted to comics and everything that stems from them (and that's a great thing!)

I've been reading and collecting comics for over 40 years and I've honestly been waiting my entire life for them to reach this pinnacle of media interest. It's an amazing transition and these movies have revitalized the cinema. Before these blockbuster smash hits like Avengers, folks in Hollywood were bemoaning the lack of ticket sales amidst rising ticket prices....complaining endlessly about pirated movies and how they could barely break even making these flicks. What comic book movies have demonstrated is that Hollywood hadn't even scratched the surface in terms of profitability...which drives the entire economic experience.

same here i don't care which side is better, want matters is that their helping each other get better.

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/08/04/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-set-video/

A news helicopter from local Detroit TV station WXYZ was flying back from recording a breaking news assignment when it caught glimpse of some action on the set of the "Man of Steel" follow-up. The chopper captured some footage from what looked like the aftermath of a huge attack, including crumpled Metropolis police cars, destroyed buildings and buses, and the crumbled wreckage of a structure featuring a Wayne Financial sign.

So here are my thoughts:

Metropolis police cars & a Wayne Financial structure damaged....hmmmm...

Maybe they are filming events that are supposed to happen during the 1st Man of Steel movie....like flashbacks....

Sequences that show why and how Batman is getting riled up to beat Supes .

Wayne probably has his fingers in alot of pies, including tons of business in Metropolis....maybe Bruce was there during the first crisis and had some unknown role during the chaos. At the end, he sees the entire city devastated and it makes him take decisive action.

Maybe none of that destruction is a "tit for tat" as suggested in the media. It doesn't seem in character for Superman or Batman to be destroying buildings for spite. In fact, it's totally out of character for Batman...who is probably mortified by the extent of the destruction from the first film.

So here are my thoughts:

Maybe they are filming events that are supposed to happen during the 1st Man of Steel movie....like flashbacks....

Wayne probably has his fingers in alot of pies, including tons of business in Metropolis....maybe Bruce was there during the first crisis and had some unknown role during the chaos. At the end, he sees the entire city devastated and it makes him take decisive action.

Maybe none of that destruction is a "tit for tat" as suggested in the media. It doesn't seem in character for Superman or Batman to be destroying buildings for spite. In fact, it's totally out of character for Batman...who is probably mortified by the extent of the destruction from the first film.

That's a really good point about these scenes being transition pieces between Man of Steel and BvS. Especially to establish why Bruce Wayne may want to go after Superman early on.

Great thoughts on this versus it being a buildup to Doomsday. The latter would be the easy answer. But it would be too soon going that route.

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice's Batman Has Been At it For Decades, Has A Dead Robin

Today must be 'Spoilers Day' with all this news.

Devin Faraci, a writer whose sources are typically solid, describes Batman as in his fifties and "still an urban legend, a creature of the night, and no one has ever taken his picture. But he's had plenty of adventures, and the Batcave includes a memorial centered around a tattered Robin costume."

Faraci notes that such a persona sets Batfleck apart from previous Batmen -- or indeed form Zack Snyder's Superman -- in that he's not involved in massive, property-destroying, attention-grabbing battles but is operating in secret and largely without appreciation (although a bat-signal in the Comic Con trailer certainly suggests he's got some fans at the police department).

So here are my thoughts:

That's a really good point about these scenes being transition pieces between Man of Steel and BvS. Especially to establish why Bruce Wayne may want to go after Superman early on.

Great thoughts on this versus it being a buildup to Doomsday. The latter would be the easy answer. But it would be too soon going that route.

This statement from the article posted above reinforces my initial thoughts:

Faraci notes that such a persona sets Batfleck apart from previous Batmen -- or indeed form Zack Snyder's Superman -- in that he's not involved in massive, property-destroying, attention-grabbing battles but is operating in secret and largely without appreciation.

It'd make perfect sense to contextualize Batman's issues with Superman. Plus, there's nobody else to hold responsible left.....Zod is pushing up dirt and the rest of the Kryptonians got sucked into the Phantom Zone. Who's left behind: Supes......and (Luuuuuucy) he's got some 'splaining to do!

I think Bruce must perceive Superman as a wildcard.....and there's only one thing left to do: determine quickly if he's a threat that needs to be neutralized for the good of mankind....or if he is actually someone Bats can work with for the greater good. Methinks it starts out with the former and ends in the latter.

I think Bruce must perceive Superman as a wildcard.....and there's only one thing left to do: determine quickly if he's a threat that needs to be neutralized for the good of mankind....or if he is actually someone Bats can work with for the greater good. Methinks it starts out with the former and ends in the latter.

I think you are on the money with this assessment. It makes the most sense.

'Aquaman' Confirmed In New BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DOJ Set Report?

* “Aquaman” is indeed in the film and there was some sort of film test on a water set recently. The character has a very small role in the BvS.

* The car chase scenes that will take place this coming weekend will not, most likely, include the Batmobile. Those pics online of Ben Affleck (sporting very gray hair on his temples) as Bruce Wayne involve a scene in the film where he’s saving people after some sort of attack on Metropolis which causes a lot of destruction.

* There’s a very “anti-Superman” theme to the film which includes people marching in protest against him.