• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

1. MOS was 9.5/10.

I agree. It was a terrific movie. People complain about the gratuitous destruction but

a) How would you expect a battle between multiple kryptonians to turn out? Sanitized like a 1955 DC comic? lol

b) It laid the groundwork for Wayne's battle against Superman. It was a brilliant move.

2. The trailer was awesome.

It was. I loved every second of it. I'd give Snyder and Affleck the benefit of the doubt at this point over the opinion of a fanboy chat forum. Remember, the fan club petitioned to have Affleck removed from the role a few years ago. :facepalm: I knew he'd make a great Batman. They're both moguls at the top of their game and they seem to be pulling together quite the epic story.

3. New Lex is a great new take on the character.

It's a rehash on Gene Hackman's take from the 70's but they need a stark contrast to Superman and Batman's 'stiff upper lip', stoic demeanor. And I enjoy watching Jesse act. Again, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

4. Both Supes and Bats looked and sounded great.

Agreed, although Clark could be a bit more goofy. :sumo:

Christopher Reeve's rendition of Clark was amazing.

5. The trailer did not give away way too much. Even if that were true, it wouldn't matter.

Agree again. Come on people - everyone is hoarding DKR 3 and 4. Like we didn't know Superman and Batman were going to duke it out. Like we didn't know Doomsday was heavily rumored. Like we didn't know WW makes an appearance. What were you expecting? To be taken by surprise like it's 1986 all over again? lol

Again, I give the directors and producers benefit of the doubt and except some surprises.

6. Can't wait for the movie.

Me neither. :cloud9:

7. I have no idea what some people are saying in this thread.

See my above. :devil:

I'd add a #8

8. Can we please talk comic book speculation in another thread? Seriously. :facepalm:

Another reason it feels 90's Batman is Affleck. He looks too old for a reboot.

In the trailer he has gray streaks in his hair. He's supposed to be old.

yea but sometimes one mistake they can't come back from when this is such a huge movie for the other movies going forward.

This movie will break $1BIL.

I am indifferent on Superman killing thing, the decision was made.

He wasn't really a full grown Superman yet. Man Of Steel was really the origin of how Clark learns to become Superman and form his ideals. He was learning his values as the movie went along.

Plus, the gratuitous destruction and Zod dying needed to happen to set this film up.

How else would Zod die if Supes didn't kill him?

There are some that just do not care for Zack Snyder or anything outside of Marvel. So their view is clouded before any trailer is released.

Way to paint with a broad brush. Some of the critics are DC only collectors. lol

There are some that just do not care for Zack Snyder or anything outside of Marvel. So their view is clouded before any trailer is released.

Way to paint with a broad brush. Some of the critics are DC only collectors. lol

Way to interpret 'some' as 'broad'. lol

Way to interpret 'some' as 'broad'. lol

Your sentence structure implies that the 'some' are the ones that don't like the trailer.

yea but sometimes one mistake they can't come back from when this is such a huge movie for the other movies going forward.

It may, but will still be well behind: Avartar, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Star Wars the force Awakens (which is going to crush everything), Avengers, and many others. It will do well but not hit the stratosphere. Man of Steel grossed $291,045,518 domestic and $377,000,000 foreign. I see BvS doing better than that, but I predict (yes just a prediction) about 400 mil domestic, and 500 mil foreign coming in just shy of 1 bil.

It may, but will still be well behind: Avartar, Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Star Wars the force Awakens (which is going to crush everything), Avengers, and many others. It will do well but not hit the stratosphere. Man of Steel grossed $291,045,518 domestic and $377,000,000 foreign. I see BvS doing better than that, but I predict (yes just a prediction) about 400 mil domestic, and 500 mil foreign coming in just shy of 1 bil.

The movie is obviously going to make ton of $.

My main point is this movie needs to be the Iron Man Part 1 of the DC movie universe to set-up the others.

If the movie tanks in terms of how the film is received that will throw a monkey wrench in their plans.

Trust me I hope this movie is amazing, I am just concerned after now seeing the latest trailer.

I agree with these guys. Start watching at 11:00 minutes

OMG, fanboy nerds micro analyzing a trailer. :facepalm:

lol

These fanboys get to go the Star Wars movie premiere.

Did you you watch?

I don't understand your point.

I was replying to SPECTRE_nWo / SOT / I need a new name every week / John-who-can't-tell-a-good-movie-from-bad-one that this movie won't be a flop.

MoS made nearly $700K - so it was a success, yes? What all of those other movies have to do with this discussion I have no idea.

I was replying to SPECTRE_nWo / SOT / I need a new name every week / John-who-can't-tell-a-good-movie-from-bad-one that this movie won't be a flop.

MoS made nearly $700K - so it was a success, yes? What all of those other movies have to do with this discussion I have no idea.

Define flop.

$ wise? Nope

I think its a flop is this movie blows balls.

I am viewing BvS as more a a sequel to MoS as opposed to a stand alone movie. It has the same director, and a good portion of the same cast with obvious additions. Someone posited that this movie would clear 1 bil. I countered with a box office based off MoS totals, adjusting upward because it is but at the same time is not a squeal to MoS. My post implies the movie will do very well, but I do not believe it will reach the levels that the Avenger movies have based on past DC movie performance.

My main point is this movie needs to be the Iron Man Part 1 of the DC movie universe to set-up the others.

They've missed too many opportunities to let this one pass again. They have a limited amount of time to capitalize on Marvel's success and I think there is probably strong behind the scenes pressure to compete with Civil War, so they don't have the luxury of time to start from scratch.

It's actually a brilliant move on DC's part.

1) They're bringing together their 3 best characters into one film which is instant fan base

2) bringing in Doomsday capitalizes on the crowd that were buying comics in the 90's - probably fandom's biggest market right now as they are the majority with a nostalgic attachment and will be in their 30's with money to spend

3) they're riding on Marvel's coat tails and bringing an alternative on the Marvel Civil War conflict - something Marvel has already set the stage for.

It's just good business. It's why automalls exist. You stay close to your competition.

It would be bad business IMO to ignore what your main competitor is doing and start from scratch like they don't exist. As I said, they don't really have that option.

And as far as future stories go, you can have spin off solo stories (both young and old Batman), Superman and WW spin offs, JLA, Justice Society - anything you want.

DC had to go big or go home at this point. That's the way I see it.

I agree with these guys. Start watching at 11:00 minutes

I do like most of what these folks point out. And after seeing the modified trailer where Doomsday was not revealed I think Warner should have held him back. But the comparison to Batman & Robin or getting overly excited about the team-up reveal seems more excessive. This movie is going to be great from everything else coming out about it. Including the Warner executives getting fired up over this movie.

They are all-in on the DC combined franchise. Great for all fans.

I am viewing BvS as more a a sequel to MoS as opposed to a stand alone movie. It has the same director, and a good portion of the same cast with obvious additions.

It's obviously a sequel. I still don't understand.

Someone posited that this movie would clear 1 bil.

That was me. I'd bet money that it will break $1BIL

I countered with a box office based off MoS totals, adjusting upward because it is but at the same time is not a squeal to MoS. My post implies the movie will do very well, but I do not believe it will reach the levels that the Avenger movies have based on past DC movie performance.

My point was that SPECTRE implied the movie won't do well. I say it will.

In fact, I think it has a good chance at doing $1.5BIL and reaching Avengers numbers.

They've missed too many opportunities to let this one pass again. They have a limited amount of time to capitalize on Marvel's success and I think there is probably strong behind the scenes pressure to compete with Civil War, so they don't have the luxury of time to start from scratch.

It's actually a brilliant move on DC's part.

1) They're bringing together their 3 best characters into one film which is instant fan base

2) bringing in Doomsday capitalizes on the crowd that were buying comics in the 90's - probably fandom's biggest market right now as they majority with the nostalgic attachment will be in their 30's with money to spend

3) they're riding on Marvel's coat tails and bringing an alternative on the Marvel Civil War conflict - something Marvel has already set the stage for.

It's just good business.

It would be bad business IMO to ignore what your main competitor is doing and start from scratch like they don't exist. As I said, they don't really have that option.

And as far as future stories go, you can have spin off solo stories (both young and old Batman), Superman and WW spin offs, JLA, Justice Society - anything you want.

DC had to go big or go home at this point. That's the way I see it.

I agree it was what DC needed to do at this point. They are behind Marvel if you view it as a competition. I am not sure they can catch up from that perspective. What Marvel has managed to do is amazing, especially when you consider they did it with lesser know and often b or c list characters. DC should have a massive leg up with the much higher name and pulp culture status of there three main characters. That has not however translated to the big screen yet.

I actual do not view this as a competition like many seem too however, good comic movies all around pull up all comic movies. The comic movie bubble will burst when the quality of the films starts to falter regardless of what studio put the movie out. DC is taking a massive risk here. By bringing out all their big guns in one film, if it fails to meet expectations they are screwed. I am not exactly sure where the bar sits right now though. If the bar is Avengers level, I do not see them making it. If the bar is a well received strong movie grossing between 800 mil to 1 bil worldwide, that is very doable.