• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

One last big though that I have not seen discussed here about why Marvel has been so successful, and what may hold BvS back. It may be the Disney influence, and just the look and presentation of the movies, but Marvel has created a new generation of fans. These movies have become family movies. I look at my own kids, their friends, I go to their school, and I see Marvel t shirts, backpacks, etc. The kids know when the next Marvel movie is coming out months in advance. They have seen the trailers, and keep up on the hype. It used to be I could see a Marvel superhero movie and leave the kids at home, if I did that now they get pissed. Based on my observations kids care way more about Marvel then DC right now. That drives families and numbers to the movies. It leads to repeat screenings and big numbers.

I have not seen the kids I am exposed to daily (and I have a job where I meet lots of people), talking about DC. My kids and my friends' kids have seen the recent DC movies in much lower numbers. They have all seen every Marvel movie. If BvS wants to reach Avenger numbers they need those kids and those families, not just the people on these boards and the 20 and 30 somethings. I have yet seen anything from BvS that seems to be pulling in the kids and families. The darker tone, and gritty look is a much harder sell to that demographic. If the DC universe wants to explode they need those numbers, like it or not. That is the big reason I do not see BvS hitting Avengers numbers.

I agree with these guys. Start watching at 11:00 minutes

I do like most of what these folks point out. And after seeing the modified trailer where Doomsday was not revealed I think Warner should have held him back. But the comparison to Batman & Robin or getting overly excited about the team-up reveal seems more excessive. This movie is going to be great from everything else coming out about it. Including the Warner executives getting fired up over this movie.

They are all-in on the DC combined franchise. Great for all fans.

(tsk)

Worst "Batman" movie ever™ rantrant

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced DC knew exactly what it was doing when releasing that trailer. Have they deliberately shown us certain footage to divert speculation from the true storyline? More importantly, what haven't they own us?* I suspect BvS won't resemble the post-trailer speculation. I've liked what I've seen so far and think it'll be a great movie (thumbs u

*EDIT: I see that's been posted already, so make mine a +1 (thumbs u

Edited by Batman

I agree with these guys. Start watching at 11:00 minutes

I do like most of what these folks point out. And after seeing the modified trailer where Doomsday was not revealed I think Warner should have held him back. But the comparison to Batman & Robin or getting overly excited about the team-up reveal seems more excessive. This movie is going to be great from everything else coming out about it. Including the Warner executives getting fired up over this movie.

They are all-in on the DC combined franchise. Great for all fans.

(tsk)

Worst "Batman" movie ever™ rantrant

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced DC knew exactly what it was doing when releasing that trailer. Have they deliberately shown us certain footage to divert speculation from the true storyline? More importantly, what haven't they own us? I suspect BvS won't resemble the post-trailer speculation. I've liked what I've seen so far and think it'll be a great movie (thumbs u

I pray you are right sir.

Edited by SPECTRE_nWo

One last thought...people still also don't know what DC haven't shown in the trailer. ;)

:headbang:Post of the thread!!!!

That's exactly where that comicmovies.com article was going with the reaction to trailer #2.

Did the BATMAN V SUPERMAN trailer reveal too much?

Ultimately people believe what they want, and will complain about it as well. But revealing what has already been teased at is not a spoiler. This new trailer for Batman v Superman has only answered one question (two if you want to get technical). And that is Doomsday will be the big threat which brings these heroes together.

I think RT and other sites are doing their normal Zack Snyder bashing. The latest trailer just opened the door by revealing Doomsday. Yet this movie will be great either way.

What has been revealed was already strongly hinted at, or had been dug up by reporting sites through their studio contacts.

- Still no Aquaman yet

- Still not clear if the DC Trinity takes out Doomsday leading to Darkseid as the next threat (the other strong rumor)

- The complete link between Joker, Batman and Robin is still not clear

There's a lot of unknowns ahead of us to be revealed.

And the threat of Darkseid could come out much clearer in the movie.

Batman v Superman: What are Parademons and Why Do They Matter?

Parademons are the foot soldiers of the space tyrant Darkseid – think of them as the orcs in Lord of the Rings, a marginally intelligent, fiercely loyal to their overlord troop that’s bred only for war. Seeing them in this trailer, then, is a big deal for a few reasons.

Parademons have shown up in many forms in the pages of DC Comics and in animated and video game adaptations since they were first created by Jack Kirby in 1971. The wasp-like flying parademons were featured prominently in Justice League: War, the animated film that launched a new continuity for DC Animation, based primarily on the New 52 relaunch of DC Comics. It’s been heavily rumored and speculated that those DC animated movies are being used as a breeding ground of sorts for the new live-action films, so it’s not too surprising to see them share a look.

:o

:wishluck:

This came out during the July-August timeframe concerning Doomsday and Bizarro.

Lex's Plan In BATMAN V SUPERMAN Elaborated On; Major Villain Teased

Lex has been gathering pieces and debris from the World Engine and he has used them to synthesize Kryptonite. Meanwhile he has also gotten ahold of Zod's corpse, and it is the key to his master plan to defeat Superman. He uses that tissue to... well, that would be spoiling. But Superman hasn't been defeated many times in the past. You can probably connect the dots from here.

it sounds like bizzaro to me.

OR, it could be a NEW twist on Doomsday. But I agree that Bizzaro is the prime suspect.

someone in the comments at CBM put this up:

"General Dru-Zod had originally created bizarro duplicates of himself to dominate the planet, Krypton. The bizarros had no power because they were not under a yellow sun, but they were soldiers ready to kill and die without hesitation. This was the reason why Zod was banished to the Phantom Zone for 25 Krypton sun-cycles (Phantom Zone #1)."

So...........

That does that shot of Zod in the body bag give levity to the rumour

Zod=Doomsday?

Bingo!

Latino Review mentioned that a few months back as a rumor picked up from a production member. More and more, it looks to be the lead-in to the need for a Justice League.

what if it's not

doomsday but a out of control Bizarro

Since January, here are the three different articles that have noted this is most probably...

DOOMSDAY!

:ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez::ohnoez:

Although this was a rumor a while back, it seems to be building up to reality in the movie.

General Zod To Become Doomsday In BATMAN v SUPERMAN?

-------------------

His corpse is stolen (or perhaps just acquired, given his military contacts in most versions of the modern mythology) by Lex Luthor and experimented on, presumably in the hopes of finding a weakness to exploit against Superman. In the course of his experimenting, we've been told that he "triggers the Doomsday genome," causing the corpse to reanimate as the mindless killing machine at the center of The Death of Superman.

-------------------

One of the sites that repeated the rumor going around how MOS=>BvS=>JL all come together into a linked universe.

Does General Zod become Doomsday in Batman v Superman?

“His corpse [gets] stolen (or perhaps just acquired, given his military contacts in most versions of the modern mythology) by Lex Luthor and experimented on, presumably in the hopes of finding a weakness to exploit against Superman.” The site continues, “in the course of his experimenting, we’ve been told that he ‘triggers the Doomsday genome,’ causing the corpse to reanimate as the mindless killing machine at the center of The Death of Superman.”.

Doomsday coming up again in this movie.

RUMOR: DOOMSDAY Is Indeed in BATMAN v SUPERMAN; New Details on Potential "Dream Sequence"

Taking to the ShanlianOnBatman Podcast, Umberto Gonzalez has revealed (as previously reported by BadassDigest) that what he refers to as "the muscle" in Zack Snyder's upcoming BATMAN v SUPERMAN is none other than the iconic 'Superman' villain 'DOOMSDAY'.

And it would appear there were early hints of the dream sequence, and what it would contain.

hm

I've never gotten into checking out the 'reaction' videos. But these are pretty interesting to see their reaction to a first viewing of Trailer #2. These are contributors to the reporting sites.

And I thought only we got excited on here.

lol

I've never gotten into checking out the 'reaction' videos. But these are pretty interesting to see their reaction to a first viewing of Trailer #2. These are contributors to the reporting sites.

And I thought only we got excited on here.

lol

Guy on the left: "Honestly, this is my excited face..."

If BvS wants to reach Avenger numbers they need those kids and those families, not just the people on these boards and the 20 and 30 somethings. I have yet seen anything from BvS that seems to be pulling in the kids and families. The darker tone, and gritty look is a much harder sell to that demographic. If the DC universe wants to explode they need those numbers, like it or not. That is the big reason I do not see BvS hitting Avengers numbers.

x1000. My kids and their friends didn't talk about MOS 2 years ago and aren't talking about BvS today. I wish they would. But it's too dark and too gritty. Not doubt, WB will sell a TON of tickets to the 18 to 34 demograph, but then it has to reach to draw in the younger and older. Marvel is clever. Casting Robert Redford in the last Captain America film? Brilliant. You've just attracted the Baby Boomer audience. Throwing in humor and color (literally, color) and toning down the gratuitous violence? Brilliant. You've attracted the sub-18 crowd and their parents (see, e.g., a 3rd tier character or group like Ant-Man or GOTG). Collectively, that's a TON MORE in ticket sales. That's what Marvel (and Disney) do correctly.

If BvS wants to reach Avenger numbers they need those kids and those families, not just the people on these boards and the 20 and 30 somethings. I have yet seen anything from BvS that seems to be pulling in the kids and families. The darker tone, and gritty look is a much harder sell to that demographic. If the DC universe wants to explode they need those numbers, like it or not. That is the big reason I do not see BvS hitting Avengers numbers.

x1000. My kids and their friends didn't talk about MOS 2 years ago and aren't talking about BvS today. I wish they would. But it's too dark and too gritty. Not doubt, WB will sell a TON of tickets to the 18 to 34 demograph, but then it has to reach to draw in the younger and older. Marvel is clever. Casting Robert Redford in the last Captain America film? Brilliant. You've just attracted the Baby Boomer audience. Throwing in humor and color (literally, color) and toning down the gratuitous violence? Brilliant. You've attracted the sub-18 crowd and their parents (see, e.g., a 3rd tier character or group like Ant-Man or GOTG). Collectively, that's a TON MORE in ticket sales. That's what Marvel (and Disney) do correctly.

I don't want a colorful kid-friendly Marvel clone with bad quips. I don't care if this movie fails at the box office and we never get another. I want an adult movie. I want it dark and gritty. I want another DREDD. Another Dark Knight. If not, whatever, it's just a movie.

AMEN TO THAT!

It is a heart-breaker Dredd 2 is not happening after such a fantastic delivery by all involved in the first movie. I love that film!

I don't want a colorful kid-friendly Marvel clone with bad quips. I don't care if this movie fails at the box office and we never get another. I want an adult movie. I want it dark and gritty. I want another DREDD. Another Dark Knight. If not, whatever, it's just a movie.

I agree with you Grails. I am sick of these cute movies and cheap CGI special effects. Let's hope Batman vs Superman is something special and not just a vehicle used to promote selling cheap toy merchandise. 2c

And my kids (10 and 11) both like MOS. Their friends have seen it and liked it as well. This past summer they all saw AoU, but hardly any (including my kids) saw Ant-Man. My daughter thought that Ant-Man was a lame concept from the trailers and had no interest in it at all. I heard the same thing from her friends as well. I don't think it had the same crossover appeal that the other Marvel movies with strong female characters in the trailers did for tween girls. Add in the fact that Paul Rudd is not Chris Hemsworth and my wife had no interest in seeing it either. lol

Interestingly, my kids have only watched the AoU DVD once since we picked it up, while with the first Avengers movie they watched it several times the first month we had it. They prefer GotG to AoU. I don't disagree with them on that call - AoU was a weak film.

As far as BvS, they are both keen to see it based on the first trailer. I have shown them the Civil War trailer as well but they were kind of meh with it at this point (I felt the same way). My guess is that the second trailer will be better and they will be more excited. I will be taking them to both movies regardless.