• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I agree with that, although I thought the first trailer that focused on people's response to Superman was really interesting. This new one shapes up to be something less than that...everyone seems overly constipated and brooding except for Lex, who came across as someone trying to be funny (comic relief) who clearly was just annoying.

And after seeing what practical stunts can do for an action movie like 'Fury Road' (and also being disappointed by the overuse of CGI and untimely quips in 'Age of Ultron'), I'm not enthusiastic about the trend for either Marvel movies or DC movies. Awkward humor, empty and noisy special CGI effects, and 'emotive' acting seem to be the new norm.

I do look forward to more information and reviews on BVS, but as it stands I liked this trailer least of the three (except when WW shows up, which was kind of cool, but her character remains a cipher).

Dan

I'm excited for the movie still. I liked MOS and was more pumped to know they were doing a BvS movie as a followup and introduction to the DCEU.

I was upset about Affleck's casting, but got over it after seeing him in the suit.

I'm still on the fence about Eisenberg's Lex....it feels a bit "too contemporary" and a bit too "retooled".

In fact I like him a bit less than what I've seen of Leto's Joker so far, which is an entirely different mess of "new spin".

I thought Eisenberg would come off more cool and collected, but he appears a bit frenetic, much like his other overtly talkative characters in other flicks.

None of this means I'm not inclined to see the movie, but I can say I'm disappointed with the portrayals of seen thus far. I can't picture Lex as some great intellect with Eisenberg's yammering. Even my wife's first impression was that he was "The Joker". I mess you not, those were the first words that came out of her mouth: "Oh, he's playing the Joker?".

When I said "No, he's Lex", she shot me the most confused look I've ever seen.

I'm absolutely NO DC hater and Marvel lover. I appreciate the efforts of both camps. I'd like to see them all do exceptionally well because ultimately it means more comic based movies for me.

If I could tell Synder and DC one thing to do which would serve them well in the future: it's to try to keep the characters more traditional and in alignment with the source material. There's very little tweaking necessary if at all to translate these characters to the big screen, they don't need a "new take" or a "new direction" to make them more consumable or even contemporary.

Don't take the Joker and make him a fruity looking drug cartel rave-going wannabe, don't take Lex Luthor and make him a scatterbrained, high strung internet mogul with questionable people skills.

What did everyone think of the new Batman/Superman trailer with Lex, Wonder Woman and a new villain?

I kinda hated it. I am already sick of Eisenberg as Lex and he was onscreen for like 30 seconds. It just felt joyless, overly dark, and somehow low budget (which I know makes little sense). I know DC is going for a different feel than Marvel (and they should), but I did not care for Man of Steel, and this seems like it is going the same direction. Both Batman and Superman came across as completely unlikable and gloomy (Batman is allowed to be, but not Superman). Then they throw an over the top campy Lex at you which seems 100% out of place with an otherwise very serious universe.

+1

I really hope this movie doesn't suck.

+1. As long as Zack Snyder is directing these JLA-type movies, we're not getting anything better than MOS which was 7/10. Excessive CGI, all shot inside a studio warehouse with BS backgrounds, gratuitous destruction, and warping of characters (I am am so unimpressed with Eisenberg's portrayal of LL.

unimpressed is fairly positive, i had it as embarrassing

Mike go back to your wine an cheese. Man of Steel was one of the best superhero movie ever made.

Stop your non-sense!

Wow I hate to admit it but I wasn't a fan of that trailer #2 what so ever.

They gave away the whole movie. :facepalm:

I really hope this movie is good because a lot for DC is riding on this.

Lex Luthor's character looked downward disgraceful.

Apology accepted

Edited by paperheart

Relax guys, eisenberg is actually not portraying the quintessential lex luthor from the comics. He's playing his son, Jr. (according to this article):

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/6/9463323/jesse-eisenberg-lex-luthor-batman-v-superman

Also, wonder woman sucks and (has always) translated poorly to the screen and it looks to be no different this time. If Warner is smart they will scratch the (planned) solo movie with her from their line up.

-J.

DC/Warner has heard the complaints loud and clear, and have figured out how to resolve any concerns.

There! Now everything else will make sense, because this will play at the beginning to appease the Marvel-only fanatics.

:baiting:

Relax guys, eisenberg is actually not portraying the quintessential lex luthor from the comics. He's playing his son, Jr. (according to this article):

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/6/9463323/jesse-eisenberg-lex-luthor-batman-v-superman

Also, wonder woman sucks and (has always) translated poorly to the screen and it looks to be no different this time. If Warner is smart they will scratch the (planned) solo movie with her from their line up.

-J.

Right. :eyeroll:

Did you guys see Ben Affleck being funny as Batman?
No, but I do hope as Batman and Superman get to know each other their exchanges are sharp and witty. Makes it fun and humanizes them both if done right.

Also, what's totally different about BvS is the timeline. Apparently Batman is old school 'golden age mystery-man' style vigilante who's been at it a while. So instead of a contemporary-friends dynamic between them Batman may try to pull seniority, talk constant smack and one-up Superman.

Veteran and the noob. Except the Veteran is having his world rocked with the emergence of all these superpowered people. Plenty fun, if done right.

What did everyone think of the new Batman/Superman trailer with Lex, Wonder Woman and a new villain?

I kinda hated it. I am already sick of Eisenberg as Lex and he was onscreen for like 30 seconds. It just felt joyless, overly dark, and somehow low budget (which I know makes little sense). I know DC is going for a different feel than Marvel (and they should), but I did not care for Man of Steel, and this seems like it is going the same direction. Both Batman and Superman came across as completely unlikable and gloomy (Batman is allowed to be, but not Superman). Then they throw an over the top campy Lex at you which seems 100% out of place with an otherwise very serious universe.

+1

+1. As long as Zack Snyder is directing these JLA-type movies, we're not getting anything better than MOS which was 7/10. Excessive CGI, all shot inside a studio warehouse with BS backgrounds, gratuitous destruction, and warping of characters (I am am so unimpressed with Eisenberg's portrayal of LL.

Mike go back to your wine an cheese. Man of Steel was one of the best superhero movie ever made.

Stop your non-sense!

And you are allowed to have that opinion, and if it is your favorite superhero movie great. The general consensus is that MoS was a marginal movie. I have also liked movies that other were so so according to wider audiences, and one happens to be Watchman by Snyder, so I do not have an inherent Marvel bias, nor am I a Snyder hater. As stated already it got a 56% on RT from critics and 76% from the public. By comparison Avengers got 92% critics, and 91% public. Batman the Dark Knight got 94% critics and 94% public. Ant Man got 79% critics, and 88% public. So looking at the numbers from both critics and the wider public, it is easy to find superhero movies the public likes better.

I was just giving my opinion on the trailer. I was not impressed. I was also not impressed with Age of Ultron either, and I wanted so bad for that movie to be great.

I'm a Marvel zombie but I root for DC

I hate Affleck.

I liked MOS.

I loved the Nolan Bats.

Snyder is fine.

I mocked Affleck as Batman up until the various promo images & teaser trailers were released. All of the hype sold me on Affleck as Batman. The marketing teams created a mystique around this production that worked -- turned me around 180 degrees.

Then I saw Affleck being funny as Batman & I'm back to thinking it was a mistake to cast him in the role.

The WW intro -- despite the babycheeked-Bat-comedy scene with Supes -- was terrific.

+1

Stop your non-sense!

And you are allowed to have that opinion, and if it is your favorite superhero movie great. The general consensus is that MoS was a marginal movie. I have also liked movies that other were so so according to wider audiences, and one happens to be Watchman by Snyder, so I do not have an inherent Marvel bias, nor am I a Snyder hater. As stated already it got a 56% on RT from critics and 76% from the public. By comparison Avengers got 92% critics, and 91% public. Batman the Dark Knight got 94% critics and 94% public. Ant Man got 79% critics, and 88% public. So looking at the numbers from both critics and the wider public, it is easy to find superhero movies the public likes better.

I was just giving my opinion on the trailer. I was not impressed. I was also not impressed with Age of Ultron either, and I wanted so bad for that movie to be great.

MoS was a great movie that made a realistic Superman movie and not that crappy f-ing disgrace portrayal from the Reeve movies. Superman is a cornball character and MoS made him correctly.

I was also not impressed from the BvS newest trailer. I think it is going to put DC comics back 10 years. This movie needs to be better than Avengers Part 1 and I hope I am wrong, but from the trailers I see that DC is taking a golden opportunity and wasting it.

All DC had to do was cheat and copy Marvel Studios movie for movie. They rushed to have Batman vs Superman without 5-7 years of new solo movies for buildup of all their characters. DC has always been less intelligent than Marvel.