• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I know all of this is obvious but my point really is that we've gotten pretty far from the attitude of previous decades where fanboys and girls were complaining about how the movie 'wasn't true to the comics'. That used to be the primary complaint even up until a few years ago.

People almost never complain about it anymore, which is a huge shift. It's just about good story telling in general now.

I'm not sure I agree. Look at the uproar over Fantastic Four (before people saw the film). And over both Amazing Spider-Man films. Ultimate FF and Ultimate Spidey did not go over well with movie audiences when Fox and Sony each decided to materially deviate from the Silver Age template for these properties. In contrast, Marvel Studios' output has pretty much stayed true to the comics. I think fans don't mind a little tweaking to, or modestly updating, a certain superhero's mythology, but big changes don't go over well. Thus, the pushback over Eisenberg's Luthor. Take Eiseberg out of last week's trailer, and the amount of whining over BvS comes way, way down.

I still think that the separation between the DC TV shows and the movies is a very odd move. I doubt that having two different Flashes is going to play well, especially with the TV version being so well received.

+1. I think the CW rendition of the Flash and the rogues' gallery has been so well portrayed (and generally followed the comics) that what's the point of a stand-alone Flash film with a different actor?

I still think that the separation between the DC TV shows and the movies is a very odd move. I doubt that having two different Flashes is going to play well, especially with the TV version being so well received.

Amen. I think they are setting the Flash movie up for failure.

Since the new trailer showed Batman and Superman fighting side by side; can they just drop the Batman v. Superman part of the title and go with Dawn of Justice.

Just add a colon:

Batman V: Superman - Dawn of Justice

I know all of this is obvious but my point really is that we've gotten pretty far from the attitude of previous decades where fanboys and girls were complaining about how the movie 'wasn't true to the comics'. That used to be the primary complaint even up until a few years ago.

People almost never complain about it anymore, which is a huge shift. It's just about good story telling in general now.

I'm not sure I agree. Look at the uproar over Fantastic Four (before people saw the film). And over both Amazing Spider-Man films. Ultimate FF and Ultimate Spidey did not go over well with movie audiences when Fox and Sony each decided to materially deviate from the Silver Age template for these properties. In contrast, Marvel Studios' output has pretty much stayed true to the comics. I think fans don't mind a little tweaking to, or modestly updating, a certain superhero's mythology, but big changes don't go over well. Thus, the pushback over Eisenberg's Luthor. Take Eiseberg out of last week's trailer, and the amount of whining over BvS comes way, way down.

The uproar over FF seemed more to be about Johnny being African American more than anything else, aside from poor story telling.

The worst complaints I heard about Spidey were story telling related. Too much going on in the Sandman / Venom movie and Electro being poorly executed.

My understanding of Eisenberg's Luthor is not about his hair, it's about his voice - and nobody knows what Luthor's voice was like in the comics.

I still think that fan's tolerance has much increased over differences between the comics over the years, especially since comics themselves rarely hold true to their character's original roots anymore.

I still think that fan's tolerance has much increased over differences between the comics over the years, especially since comics themselves rarely hold true to their character's original roots anymore.
+1

Yep. Today's fans are fully familiar with Universe distinctions. It's used more in print and reviews now, 'animated universe', 'cinematic universe', tv, comic, game, etc. Like or reject any or all, consumer's choice.

Whenever I see Luthor in the comics all I hear is Clancy Brown's voice.

:cloud9:

Although some have pointed out a few pages back this may not be Lex Sr. we are seeing. I wasn't sure in the New 52 if there are two Lex Luthors from that comment, but found it interesting.

Although some have pointed out a few pages back this may not be Lex Sr. we are seeing. I wasn't sure in the New 52 if there are two Lex Luthors from that comment, but found it interesting.

Yeah I don't really know what is going on in the New 52 universe.

I'm not sure the writers do either... ;)

My understanding of Eisenberg's Luthor is not about his hair, it's about his voice - and nobody knows what Luthor's voice was like in the comics.

Whenever I hear Clancy Brown's voice, I picture it is something being said by Lex Luthor.

Especially in Shawshank Redemption when he calls the prisoner "f***stick".

the other luthor is his sister in the new52/ current universe. i think the problem some are having is that we haven't seen enough scenes with him to understand which type of lex the movie is going for.

Since the new trailer showed Batman and Superman fighting side by side; can they just drop the Batman v. Superman part of the title and go with Dawn of Justice.

Yes! They should change it to World's Finest. The title that it should have had to begin with.

My #2 needs a boost in market value :whee:

the other luthor is his sister in the new52/ current universe. i think the problem some are having is that we haven't seen enough scenes with him to understand which type of lex the movie is going for.

In fairness, this is true. But most of fandom has puked over the Riddler version of Luthor that we saw last week. We fans have a prejudice to what Luthor should "be" -- an egotistical, arrogant pr**k who is ridiculously intelligent and evil. BRYAN CRANSTON, after portraying Walter White for several years, seemed like a natural casting choice. Shame on WB for missing that grand slam opportunity.

The hair isn't the issue because in the first two Superman movies, we didn't see Gene Hackman bald until the end of Superman The Movie when Supes dropped him in prison. Although there was a lot of camp to the Hackman version of Luthor, he convinced us viewers that he was Lex Luthor. I think the Kevin Spacey Luthor was bald throughout, but Spacey's portrayal was maybe more ruthless than Hackman's. The Michael Rosenbaum Luthor of "Smallville" is diabolical and duplicative, and intelligent, evil, arrogant. Mentally, I can lump Hackman/Spacey/Rosenbaum all together. Eisenberg? Not after this last trailer.

In fairness, this is true. But most of fandom has puked over the Riddler version of Luthor that we saw last week. We fans have a prejudice to what Luthor should "be" -- an egotistical, arrogant pr**k who is ridiculously intelligent and evil. BRYAN CRANSTON, after portraying Walter White for several years, seemed like a natural casting choice. Shame on WB for missing that grand slam opportunity.

The hair isn't the issue because in the first two Superman movies, we didn't see Gene Hackman bald until the end of Superman The Movie when Supes dropped him in prison. Although there was a lot of camp to the Hackman version of Luthor, he convinced us viewers that he was Lex Luthor. I think the Kevin Spacey Luthor was bald throughout, but Spacey's portrayal was maybe more ruthless than Hackman's. The Michael Rosenbaum Luthor of "Smallville" is diabolical and duplicative, and intelligent, evil, arrogant. Mentally, I can lump Hackman/Spacey/Rosenbaum all together. Eisenberg? Not after this last trailer.

Unlike most people, I'm fine with Eisenberg as Luthor so far, I generally like Eisenberg, and I haven't read a ton of superman (though probably more than the average non-comic fan). I'm gonna watch it as "What if super-tech billionaire Mark Zuckerberg really thought Superman was a threat and tried to take him down?" THat premise is enough for me.